The rumors are true. Bjorn is moving back to Japan

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That is the quickest solution, but without getting political, immigration can be unpopular.
immigration is not unpopular unless it is illegal. :rolleyes: I don't know where did the US lost that focus. I've met so many people that has migrated here legally that have no issues whatsoever.

One of the methods... would be to encourage more migration. That's why it doesn't make any sense to be so strict on the law when the result of that law is a problem.
Well, as a previous LEO and military retired I can tell you that the law was not created to be a problem. There are ways to do things right, and breaking the law is not one if them.

Is like having a squatter take over the shed in your backyard, and having to feed them and pay them as well. Or say, I jump the fence to your house and take a few trees, because you have too many and you catch me. Will you be ok with me just strolling picking up a few more, or call the cops, or do what we do in Texas and walk out with your carry piece? Because it is exactly the same thing.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
immigration is not unpopular unless it is illegal. :rolleyes: I don't know where did the US lost that focus. I've met so many people that has migrated here legally that have no issues whatsoever.

Well, as a previous LEO and military retired I can tell you that the law was not created to be a problem. There are ways to do things right, and breaking the law is not one if them.

Is like having a squatter take over the shed in your backyard, and having to feed them and pay them as well. Or say, I jump the fence to your house and take a few trees, because you have too many and you catch me. Will you be ok with me just strolling picking up a few more, or call the cops, or do what we do in Texas and walk out with your carry piece? Because it is exactly the same thing.
I think you took what I said wrong. I don't mean to be illegally entering a country and asking them to give you citizenship. I am an emigrant myself and I can see it is a big issue with having hundreds of thousands of undocumented crossing the border monthly. I don't align myself with either party because they are all crooks. I will write my name in the election as I can't stand the current or former presidents. Both lied through their teeth and acted in a way to benefit their party more than the Country itself.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

so we are getting political again? Border politics are the worst.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you think immigrants prefer to illegally immigrate so they can steal bonsai when they have the option to legally immigrate and get a normal life, then you shouldn't have an opinion on politiics.

Legal immigration is not very popular. And it is why illegal immigration exists. Illegal immigration exists because we have closed borders and restrict migration.
And it turns out that countries with low birth rates limit the most migration when they would benefit from migrants the most. And Japan is a prime example.

Allowing migration and having a higher birth rate is one of the reasons why the US economy is so much more dynamic than those of western Europe.
And one of the reasons why the Japanese economy has been shit since 1990.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just think if Bjorn had just started a satellite nursery in Japan and didn't leave the USA we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
so do you think the older deshi in this video will be Bjorns new apprentice?
I think they are all apprentices at Koukaen with Fujikawa.

Bjorn mentioned he is still at least a year from buying land for his nursery in a recent Q and A.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Becoming a citizen of Japan is extraordinarily difficult.
It's actually extraordinarily easy if you are willing to sacrifice your current passport(s). I could have already done it, but still have to wait a few years to apply for permenant residency. There are many wonderful benefits to becomming Japanese in truth. However, you will NEVER be accepted as Japanese unless you are Japanese. It is far more an ethnic definition than one of nationality. There is also no birthright citizenship either, meaning even a child born and raised in Japan that has never traveled outside the country, and only speaks Japanese/only knows Japanese culture still needs a visa and will forever be considered a foreigner. This is more common than many realize, but even as adults these people are often told things like, "Wow, you speak Japanese better than a Japanese person." .Some with Chinese/Korean parents fly under the radar to a certain extent, and many naturalize and take Japanese names, but that isn't a practical option for anyone who doesn't already look Japanese.

As a Canadian it used to be a difficult concept to grasp for me. We assume that everyone we meet is a Canadian unless told otherwise. There is no real correlation between race/nationality. However, even if you become Japanese, you won't be refered to as 'Japanese', but as 'That foreigner with a Japanese passport'.

Those who can accept this reality can carve out a nice life for themselves here. Those who can't are forever miserable and grow to resent everything/everyone around them.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
There are now 100% ethnically western people that are 100% Japanese. In the sense that their parents are naturalized Japanese, they were born there as Japanese citizens. They themselves speak Japanese as their first language and have never been outside of Japan (except maybe for a holiday). But they also have zero Japanese 'blood'.
But often they are not accepted as Japanese, because of their ethnicity. I would imagine that North Americans would be even more able to see how silly this is, if that would have happened in say the US or Canada.

There are some people that naturally levitate to the idea of an ethnostate, and Japan is maybe the closest thing to that. Japan has many many very nice and appealing aspects. But Japan also has a dark side. Including for the Japanese themselves.

I think that western bonsai-people often idealize too many aspects of Japan. The stories from western bonsai experts that studied in Japan are a clear example about how things are not black and white.

I get that some Americans here say that when you move to say Japan, you should learn the language, the culture, and try to fit in. But basically every western person that has tried really really hard says this doesn't even matter. And often for them there comes a realization that there is a hard rejection and that all their work to try to fit in basically didn't matter.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Very well said, and thank you for your service 🇺🇸 truly

bonsaiwood

Mame
Reaction score
New episode of the journey.

Thank you for posting Bjorn’s latest video following his family’s move to Japan. I love that he touched on the evolution of Kyoto architecture and how he intends to tie both traditional and modern features into the design of his future home. These videos are a real gift to all, not just for people in bonsai.

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
Thank you for posting Bjorn’s latest video following his family’s move to Japan. I love that he touched on the evolution of Kyoto architecture and how he intends to tie both traditional and modern features into the design of his future home. These videos are a real gift to all, not just for people in bonsai.
I think the bigger question is can I just hire a japanese architect to design a home for herein the u.s.? 🥲

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think the bigger question is can I just hire a japanese architect to design a home for herein the u.s.? 🥲
Yes... but it will be cost prohibitive because the cost of the raw materials they use in Japan is more than triple here. There is a builder in Austin Texas, Matt Risinger. He has a channel I watch on YT, The Build Show where he showed the build of a home by a company bought by a large Japanese home builder. That home was partially built in Japan, then sent to the US in containers.

Top Bottom