Another Itoigawa

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
One last shot before unwiring the tree and starting the refinement cycle over again. This is a good stage; full, balanced, some definition, but no longer perfectly manicured. The wires are digging in, so unfortunately they need to come off.
73007ED5-0C05-4EFC-8C27-9AF99BA4A505.jpeg

don b

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The wires that are biting and are being removed now, are they the same wires you and Bjorn placed back in spring 2015?

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jammin on Amazon music right now! Thanks for the tip!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looking back over this thread, it seems late May has been consistently the month for cleaning out old yellow needles, berries, and pruning it back. It has been allowed to rest this year, without wiring or repotting, or any pruning until today.

Today, it was pruned back to remove old, weak leggy and yellow growth, probably a 25% reduction overall. Strong areas were reduced and the foliage was more or less balanced throughout the tree. Still need to clean up the deadwood...

I may be able to wire this winter and repot it in the spring if it keeps growing strong this year.
A12ED9B0-D79B-4F11-9922-78049FF4B7F3.jpeg

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Peeled the flaking bark, scrubbed the deadwood, and applied a coat of 50% diluted lime-sulfur last weekend. Here are the results @my nellie. I may not have the restraint necessary to not wire out some of the main & secondary branches.
Before, after bark and deadwood cleaning, after applying LS and the last photo is from several days later:
64358B42-DC4C-4C6D-977D-F424A53ED99C.jpeg45048ECC-3E87-4491-80A2-A543363DC3CE.jpeg38B425C3-3866-4E77-8150-006C75C42D50.jpegB312ACE1-19DA-4E69-951D-0A40C459FB04.jpeg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It is a beautiful tree, unarguably so. I love the pot as well.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So very nice and healthy above all!
Amazing compactness, Mr. Van Fleet!
... ...Today, it was pruned back to remove old, weak leggy and yellow growth, probably a 25% reduction overall. Strong areas were reduced and the foliage was more or less balanced throughout the tree. Still need to clean up the deadwood... ...
That's quite a reduction, isn't it?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hey @Brian Van Fleet , noticed you in Bjorn's latest blog post concerning his initial Intensive Bonsai Program. Care to share some thoughts, and perhaps a little first-hand impression of his operation? You can keep it brief, or not at all......I'm aware you meet privately as well, but was curious just what he has down there or if he is more inclined to be more "workshop" than "retail nursery".

Any static from wearing the 'Bama "A" in Tennessee?;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D
First things first, Alabama has already established dominance in TN, so there is really nothing those Vols can say to the A...or the Tigers, the other Tigers, and soon, Gus’s Tigers. Second, I really need to get back in shape.

I’ll post more about the visit in Saturday’s blog post, along with lots of photos of the nursery. His nursery is a good size for the stock he has, it’s not crowded and it’s not sparse. Plenty of room to walk between benches and study the trees. It has a good “feel” with the high fence, rustic whiskey barrels, and benches at a good height.

I wouldn’t call it a “retail nursery” because it may not have enough stock just yet, and most of it is big enough to make shipping prohibitive. I’d say the collection is for his clients visiting, for studying and training, and for Bjorn to have plenty of options when vending. He has a good range of sizes, varieties, and prices, but the majority of the stock was large domestically-collected pines and junipers.

Here is the juniper we’ve been working on for 4 years now, it’s 3rd round. I decided to make the movement a little more pronounced to the left by shortening the right branch and shifting some of the weight to the left. It will need to grow a little more for that to become apparent, but here is a shot from before and after:
960C8EEC-4CF8-4B0D-849C-72043CB665AA.jpegDD885DD3-9876-4E29-9BB8-2242EF3BC0A8.jpeg

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Brian. how is Bjorn as an instructor? He seems like an approachable guy from what I can tell, but I've certainly never met him in person, let alone had any one on ones with him. I'm interested in picking up some nice stock in the next several years. Being located in GA now, his nursery isn't all that far of a drive for me. I'd love to have some sessions with him once I have material worthy of his time (and the money I'd be spending). When you say he has material at all price ranges, I'm assuming the low end is still relatively expensive. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom