Jabuticaba- tracking thread

Heitor Silva

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm starting this thread so as to show my experience with nurturing an "Eugenia uniflora", commonly known as Jabuticaba.
It is a really nice specie here in Brazil, since they love sun and lots of water!
BIO: Acquired a seedling from a nursery at Jacareí for some nice 100 reais (aprox. 25 US dollars), chopped it down a lot. Will let it rest until Autumm comes.

Looking forward to developing a naturalistic styled tree. Suggestions are accepted! Thanks!

IMG_20190903_171358.jpg
After the trunk chop.

IMG_20191017_171015.jpg
After 30 days. The tree is bursting with new buds. After it has gained some nice vigour, i shall select branches / trunk sections.

Attachments

• IMG_20191021_201556.jpg
    IMG_20191021_201556.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 12
Nice!
I just watched a thing about Snake Island, I want to go!
Had to tell someone!

Sorce

Are you sure you want the ~extra~ bottom two ~trunks~? If anything, you should have chopped them at different heights.

Hey guys, I'm starting this thread so as to show my experience with nurturing an "Eugenia uniflora", commonly known as Jabuticaba.

Is that right? I thought Eugenia uniflora was "suriname cherry" and Plinia cauliflora was "Jabuticaba". Maybe Im missing something here, the images shown look like the Jabuticaba I know and not a bad looking one from some of the images.

Wikipedia is many also-ran names for what we call Jabotacaba in the USA, including
  • Eugenia cauliflora (Mart.) DC.
  • Eugenia jaboticaba (Vell.) Kiaersk.
  • Myrcia jaboticaba (Vell.) Baill.
  • Myrciaria cauliflora (Mart.) O.Berg
  • Myrciaria jaboticaba (Vell.) O.Berg
  • Myrtus cauliflora Mart.
  • Myrtus jaboticaba Vell.
  • Plinia jaboticaba (Vell.) Kausel

I wrote it off as probably not worth bringing it up because this is a world-wide exchange and everything has a name in common usage in the local language and all the explorer's language, too. The taxonomists are probably thinking about assigning it a new genus of its own this minute and one is probably lurking out there and would jump on me with both feet. It's their job to change things just as soon as we learn how to spell them. Have you noticed that the new nomenclatures are longer, have more syllables and are harder to pronounce? They revel in seeing how many characteristics they can include in a single pseudo Latin word. They're closing in on the Welsh and Germans for the longest words in the world.

Is that right? I thought Eugenia uniflora was "suriname cherry" and Plinia cauliflora was "Jabuticaba". Maybe Im missing something here, the images shown look like the Jabuticaba I know and not a bad looking one from some of the images.

Ask wiki..

Plinia cauliflora, the Brazilian grapetree,[2] jaboticaba or jabuticaba,[2] is a tree in the family Myrtaceae, native to Minas Gerais, Goiás and São Paulo states in Brazil.[2] Related species in the genus Myrciaria, often referred to by the same common names, are native to Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Peru and Bolivia.[citation needed] The tree is known for its purplish-black, white-pulped fruits which grow directly on the trunk; they can be eaten raw or be used to make jellies, jams, juice or wine.

Eugenia uniflora is pitanga in Brazil, also known as surinam cherry. Can also be referred to a jabuticaba but is very different.

The tree the OP shown is the Plinia, which flowers on the trunk and grows fruits there too.

Ask wiki..

Plinia cauliflora, the Brazilian grapetree,[2] jaboticaba or jabuticaba,[2] is a tree in the family Myrtaceae, native to Minas Gerais, Goiás and São Paulo states in Brazil.[2] Related species in the genus Myrciaria, often referred to by the same common names, are native to Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Peru and Bolivia.[citation needed] The tree is known for its purplish-black, white-pulped fruits which grow directly on the trunk; they can be eaten raw or be used to make jellies, jams, juice or wine.

Eugenia uniflora is pitanga in Brazil, also known as surinam cherry. Can also be referred to a jabuticaba but is very different.

The tree the OP shown is the Plinia, which flowers on the trunk and grows fruits there too.
Sheesh! I'm sorry, whar we have here is actually a Plinia Cauliflora!!!

A couple wild Suriname Cherry/Pitanga (invasive in FL) if anyone wants them I’ve sprayed literally thousands of the little bastards. They sprout everywhere. Runners off the roots, seeds ground layering if anything pushes them in contact with the ground etc. I’ll charge for supplies and shipping, let me know what you want and I probably have one to fit it! I’m also over run with camphor trees and devil wood but the camphor at least is coming under control. That will take only a tiny bit of patience as they’re fast growing and also prone to spreading. All three are readily propagated and I have plenty! I plan on making some bonsai once I get them under control. They’ll all easily double in size in one ( 9 month long lol) growing season.44289EF0-C6E0-4B96-952B-73584B53203C.jpeg44289EF0-C6E0-4B96-952B-73584B53203C.jpegA0870F79-CE53-4BB5-B1D4-3FA5022D4AA7.jpeg44289EF0-C6E0-4B96-952B-73584B53203C.jpegA0870F79-CE53-4BB5-B1D4-3FA5022D4AA7.jpeg44289EF0-C6E0-4B96-952B-73584B53203C.jpegA0870F79-CE53-4BB5-B1D4-3FA5022D4AA7.jpeg

lol, not sure why you post this here? But nice reminder of the thread. @Heitor Silva can you show off your jabuticaba? Considering how mine has grown. Yours must be a fully developed Bonsai by now!
lol, not sure why you post this here? But nice reminder of the thread. @Heitor Silva can you show off your jabuticaba? Considering how mine has grown. Yours must be a fully developed Bonsai by now!
Oops I was reading this and it reminded me that I had them. Then I was putting together pictures and forgot to switch! Lol

Back
Top Bottom