Jabuticaba care?

Thank you!

Here is top hoping for flowers in winter. Any thoughts how to trigger them?
Nope, time is the correct answer. They bloom and show fruits after 10 years or more, from seed. Some take as long as 18 years.
But if yours is an air layer or from a wooden cutting, it may flower soon.
My big one is quite old, but unfortunately no fruits yet. Patience and faith in the nature.

I have a small Jabuticaba her in the cold north. Does anyone have experience keeping these in non-tropical zones? Any recommendations?
I live in Northern California, Sonoma area where temperatures drop a little below freezing and frequently daily frosts during the winter. I have grown several Jabuticabas outdoors for 10 years. Even the coldest years did not produce more than a few cold-burned leaves. I have taken cuttings and rooted them easily as well. But for you, I'd recommend draping Frost Cloth over them and keeping them close to a building.

you are trying to develop those lower branches? i would remove them if this was my tree, in nature jaboticabas are more like broom style or flat top.

you are trying to develop those lower branches? i would remove them if this was my tree, in nature jaboticabas are more like broom style or flat top.
Complete lack of taper in the trunk, so I thought I would let these develop a few years and aid lower trunk thickening.

Do you have any images of this species as it grows naturally?

Complete lack of taper in the trunk, so I thought I would let these develop a few years and aid lower trunk thickening.

Do you have any images of this species as it grows naturally?
Taking in consideration what i've seen around here in brazil, with more developed material, jaboticabas are really hard to get taper using suckers on the base, you are probably going to get a bulge that you will have to cut and heal, getting inverse taper on the process. The more commom aproach here is to use sacrificial branches on the top of the tree, cutting them after getting the desired thickness and carving in the cut to get the desired taper. They can close really big wounds.

I do have some pictures:
IMG_2306.jpegIMG_2303.jpegIMG_2305.jpegIMG_2254.jpeg

one option you have is this:

IMG_4426.PNG

the wound will be big, but they do close, that way you can get a really nice taper. if you want to thicken up the base, or get a better nebari, i would let the top 2 branches grow freely to the right and cut them where i marked after.

one option you have is this:

View attachment 496773

the wound will be big, but they do close, that way you can get a really nice taper. if you want to thicken up the base, or get a better nebari, i would let the top 2 branches grow freely to the right and cut them where i marked after.
Do remember my effective growing season is 4-5 months per year.

Do remember my effective growing season is 4-5 months per year.
well, better try to avoid large wounds then... but i would still remove those bottom branches, i don't think they will serve you any good to thicken up the base and if they get thicker you will have wounds to close when you remove them.

Back
Top Bottom