Jabuticaba outside the tropics!

Zappin1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Another guy around here has one and left it out at around 40 degrees last fall. It did not like it at all.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In their native grounds here in south Brazil, yes they are resistant to frost. But the most we get here is dew freezing over night and melting as the sun rises, and even in the ground all their canopy dies because of it, losing branches in the process and resprouting later. In pots it's even worse, if you let yours get frost, in the best case you will loose branches and in the worst your plant can die.
Good to know. I was led to believe they could take much more.

Reaction score
Collected about 10 fruits in the ground last December. Removed the pulp, Cleaned and sowed. They all sprouted no problems. Culled down to two now.
They were in full sun and Got some sun scorched leaves. Moved to semi-shade and they seem to be growing ok.

Attachments

• EB49D4ED-98E5-488E-8B84-73F5BA8C716E.jpeg
    EB49D4ED-98E5-488E-8B84-73F5BA8C716E.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 7

InstilledChaos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’ve had mine for about 6 years. I’m in 5b/6a, and keep it in a south facing window all winter with no attempt to mist or humidify, and it does just fine. It doesn’t grow super fast, but it puts out long, strong extensions a couple times each year. Two years ago I took cuttings from a few of these strong extensions, and 3 of them (about 50%) took. Since my indoor space is limited, and I don’t want to go through the trouble and expense of putting together an adequate light setup to expand it, I planted them together this past summer to make the small forest pictured. IMG_6050.jpegIMG_6049.jpegIMG_6051.jpeg

Zappin1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hope mine thickens up that well in the next few years!

Top Bottom