What Do You Guys Think?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Wigert's has so many more trees than what they post on their website. Just email them with what you are looking for and they are happy to send pictures. You don't have to drive there, although I would if I was you, they ship trees all of the time. If you really have your heart set on that particular tree then you should get it but you could do a lot better for $100.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
First impression is that the tree looks sick.
Perhaps just needs some summer sun?
IDK, best of luck either way.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it’s been sitting there a year and no one has bought it, that might be an indication it’s overpriced.

Also, it doesn’t matter why the tree is sick. It’s not your job to fix it. That’s the seller’s job. Let the cast members figure it out. Go find one that’s healthy.

Of course, no amount of logic can account for taste. If you like the tree, ask yourself: What do you value more—the tree or a hundred dollars? If you value a hundred dollars more than you value the tree, don’t buy it. If you value the tree more, then buy it.

Lastly, remember that it’s easier to regret something you’ve done than something you wish you had done. It’s just a weird quirk of human psychology.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The fact that you have not bought it for a year tells you already it is not a tree you cannot leave there.
Do not buy it.

If you see this as a bonsai, you will have to go back all the was to a reasonable 1-6 to 1:12 trunk diameter: height ratio. Then all of the sudden there is very little left of the tree. This makes the tree a former pre-bonsai that has been left to (over)grow.

Next to this, the tree does not look healthy. Whether from bugs or malnutrition.. Not sure.
If I look at the substrate, it is full of scale. This could be an indication this tree has not been repotted in a long time.

If you do decide you want to buy this, I would make a 70% OFF offer. It has been sitting there for a long time, is unhealthy. If you have experience and skill, you can get this back to health. Chop it low and grow it out. But that is a 2 year process to get back to pre-bonsai.

There is [must be] much better value for money.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
A second look at the leaves odes show a lot of yellow flecks so there is a problem.
Second thought is this tree is way too long and leggy. It has not been trimmed enough.
As @leatherback points out much of the branching will need to be chopped and thrown away so try not to look at the entire tree. Just look at the main trunk and a couple of inches of branches then decide if it is still worth the asking price.

Ficus definitely grow fast given good conditions. The trees in post #8 will grow quick, especially if you overpot and feed them well through summer. Most other ficus will also grow and develop quickly given reasonable conditions.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Don't buy it. It does not have good form. Before you do anything to correct that you must identify whatever health problem it has and correct that first. If it has spider mites (my guess) they may infest any other trees you have. So you must isolate it, another reason to leave it at Epcot.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think a couple hour drive would be worth a visit to wigerts. If there is better material and much more options at a lower price. The drive time and gas make up for the cost of the tree and the time driving makes up for the time waiting on lower quality material to develop. So in the end it’s actually worth it. But like @Hartinez said if you are set on it, don’t let us talk you out of it. Just everyone’s thoughts. :)

Thank you for your response. I have been to Wigerts once several years ago and I don't really feel like making that drive again, to be honest.

I chose not to purchase the bonsai however.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
As mentioned above, I did not buy the tree. I hadn't bought it because I just never really had the money each time we went, but this time I did. I have also been to Wigerts several years ago and it is not a drive I want to make again. I will however do a deeper dive into their site and see what they have including taking a longer look at the ones that were posted on the first page.

While I can overpot the ficus, I can only keep it on my screened-in balcony which gets about 5-6 hours of morning sun tops. Long ago when I was with my ex-wife I ended up putting a ficus into the woods in the back of our apartment. Within six months it had doubled its height and that is with no direct and very little indirect sun. I'm sure that my balcony will be fine for it. I also still have a small ficus right now that I have had for a while, but just repotted it a couple of weeks ago that I am working on. It is the "Too Little" variety one.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As mentioned above, I did not buy the tree. I hadn't bought it because I just never really had the money each time we went, but this time I did. I have also been to Wigerts several years ago and it is not a drive I want to make again. I will however do a deeper dive into their site and see what they have including taking a longer look at the ones that were posted on the first page.

While I can overpot the ficus, I can only keep it on my screened-in balcony which gets about 5-6 hours of morning sun tops. Long ago when I was with my ex-wife I ended up putting a ficus into the woods in the back of our apartment. Within six months it had doubled its height and that is with no direct and very little indirect sun. I'm sure that my balcony will be fine for it. I also still have a small ficus right now that I have had for a while, but just repotted it a couple of weeks ago that I am working on. It is the "Too Little" variety one.
Good decision. That tree is pretty bad.

Wigerts is definitely better. This tree for instance is a quarter the price and nine times better than the one at Epcot. These too...

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Good decision. That tree is pretty bad.

Wigerts is definitely better. This tree for instance is a quarter the price and nine times better than the one at Epcot. These too...

I was looking around and came across this one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/121379...na&ref=sr_gallery-3-30&organic_search_click=1 I know that it is more expensive than Wigerts, but I like the look of it and the straightness of it. It's a local bonsai place as well.

Anyone else can weigh in on it as well.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was looking around and came across this one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/121379...na&ref=sr_gallery-3-30&organic_search_click=1 I know that it is more expensive than Wigerts, but I like the look of it and the straightness of it. It's a local bonsai place as well.

Anyone else can weigh in on it as well.
You're getting less for your money with that tree (BTW there is no such plant as an "oriental ficus" The supplier just hasn't bothered to find out what he's selling).

I have no ties to Wigert's. I have grown ficus bonsai in the past (gave tropicals up as they're too much work here in a temperate zone). That said, Wigert's is probably THE place I'd look for a ficus bonsai. The same money ($150) will buy a more substantial, healthier tree with more potential than probably ANYTHING you will find on Etsy. The tree you've pictured is a boring telephone pole of a trunk and no branching to work with. That big "arial" root? A badly done thread graft that will only get uglier as time passes...

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You're getting less for your money with that tree (BTW there is no such plant as an "oriental ficus" The supplier just hasn't bothered to find out what he's selling).

I have no ties to Wigert's. I have grown ficus bonsai in the past (gave tropicals up as they're too much work here in a temperate zone). That said, Wigert's is probably THE place I'd look for a ficus bonsai. The same money ($150) will buy a more substantial, healthier tree with more potential than probably ANYTHING you will find on Etsy. The tree you've pictured is a boring telephone pole of a trunk and no branching to work with. That big "arial" root? A badly done thread graft that will only get uglier as time passes...

I have looked on Wigert's site and haven't found anything that I like.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have looked on Wigert's site and haven't found anything that I like.
Up to you, obviously. If you like it ,get it. I can only give an opinion. All I can say is, there's better out there. The trees you've shown here are not worth the money, or you can do better. If I were you, I'd call and ask Wigerts to email pictures of trees they have in your price range.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Up to you, obviously. If you like it ,get it. I can only give an opinion. All I can say is, there's better out there. The trees you've shown here are not worth the money, or you can do better. If I were you, I'd call and ask Wigerts to email pictures of trees they have in your price range.

I know and I thank you for your opinion. I guess I like straight and boring so to speak. You are right that the cost is high for that tree though.

I posted two pictures of the little tree that I currently have that I am letting grow a bit.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
They wanted to send the one pictured below and I did say it was pretty because it is, but I still prefer a straighter trunk. Hoping I didn;t offend them.

unnamed.jpg

Edit: They didn't They actually read the order wrong. This is what they came up with for me:

unnamed (1).jpg

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I went ahead and ordered one of these: https://www.wigertsbonsai.com/produ.../?attribute_pa_plant-size=8-pot-thicker-trunk.

View attachment 484228

So, overpot and feed it over the summer to get the trunk to grow a bit taller?
Wow! You got some great trees. I have bought a lot of trees (and pots) from Wigerts and they always exceed my expectations. Problem is that taking care of so many tropicals is starting to grind on me. But that is for another conversation.
It should have been clear from the beginning that you might prefer a more tree like tree more than a aged or tortured tree that much bonsai attempts to replicate in miniature. I say good for you. You know what you like and except that it will change over time as it does for all of us.
BTW, I have seen spider mites on ficus. Ficus don't suffer mites easily, so when they do its a real problem. I don't want anyone to go there if I can help it.
Whatever brought you here, I offer you my most sincere welcome.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wow! You got some great trees. I have bought a lot of trees (and pots) from Wigerts and they always exceed my expectations. Problem is that taking care of so many tropicals is starting to grind on me. But that is for another conversation.
It should have been clear from the beginning that you might prefer a more tree like tree more than a aged or tortured tree that much bonsai attempts to replicate in miniature. I say good for you. You know what you like and except that it will change over time as it does for all of us.
BTW, I have seen spider mites on ficus. Ficus don't suffer mites easily, so when they do its a real problem. I don't want anyone to go there if I can help it.
Whatever brought you here, I offer you my most sincere welcome.

Thank you! I guess I should have made that more clear as you said. Next to maples, I guess ficus benjamina is my next favorite tree. Hence the little one in the photos is a couple of posts up. I am looking forward to seeing what I can do with it as it grows.

Would you happen to have any pointers for me for the little tree above? I am going to post a separate thread for when the ficus microcarpa comes in and get pointers on it.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
They wanted to send the one pictured below and I did say it was pretty because it is, but I still prefer a straighter trunk. Hoping I didn;t offend them.

View attachment 484233

Edit: They didn't They actually read the order wrong. This is what they came up with for me:

View attachment 484234

This looks like a MUCH better purchase than the original post. Nice!

Top Bottom