What Do You Guys Think?

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This bonsai has been here at Epcot for over a year and I have been sitting on buying for that long. I have seen it every time I come and keep putting it off. I am ready to pull the trigger. Just want opinions on it though.

What do you all think. It will be about $100.

20230422_112415.jpg

20230422_112424.jpg

20230422_112549.jpg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This bonsai has been here at Epcot for over a year and I have been sitting on buying for that long. I have seen it every time I come and keep putting it off. I am ready to pull the trigger. Just want opinions on it though.

What do you all think. It will be about $100.

View attachment 483819

View attachment 483820

View attachment 483822
Where in Central Fla are you?? I can’t help but think you can find better starter material than that for $100. Especially with wigerts being located centrally.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Where in Central Fla are you?? I can’t help but think you can find better starter material than that for $100. Especially with wigerts being located centrally.

Wigerts is not located centrally. They are down in Ft. Myers which is south-west coast. It is also a couple hours away from me.

I haven't seen anything close to this size at Wigerts either online.

What do you think of this tree though? I am asking for opinions on this tree itself.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So where are you located? I also can’t tell how big this tree is from the pics. The multiple trunks from a single spot, straight trunks and long internodes would turn me off from purchasing.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So where are you located? I also can’t tell how big this tree is from the pics. The multiple trunks from a single spot, straight trunks and long internodes would turn me off from purchasing.

I'm in Lakeland.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Hartinez makes some good points.
Looks like a tiger bark ficus. Ficus can be developed very quickly, relatively speaking, so it would only take a couple years to make it a decent tree.
That's also a strike against this one in price, though. The cost of bonsai is the cost of labor and time. You'd be paying someone else to do that work yourself in this case.

That thick trunk base might be worth some money to the right person, but not $100.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its worth maybe half that. Also, from the pictures I would say it may have a mite problem, or at least a deficiency of some sort. I know you can do better in Florida and I would make the trip to Wigerts. There are dozens of trees for every one you see online.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Anything sold at Epcot is going to have a tourist markup price on it. These trees are listed at Wigerts for $75-$150, much thicker trunk, much more to work with. The tree at Epcot is a $15 Walmart tree with a little bit of age added.
C3D246A6-7BCF-47F7-925C-735D904D4CD5.png

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Anything sold at Epcot is going to have a tourist markup price on it. These trees are listed at Wigerts for $75-$150, much thicker trunk, much more to work with. The tree at Epcot is a $15 Walmart tree with a little bit of age added.

These seem to be about a foot or more shorter than the one at Epcot.

Will these still grow vertically?

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think if you have been visiting and appreciating this tree for a year, then it is a good purchase, if not only as a souvenir to remind you of your times there. If you have come to like the height and shape, that is half the ownership battle!

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think if you have been visiting and appreciating this tree for a year, then it is a good purchase, if not only as a souvenir to remind you of your times there. If you have come to like the height and shape, that is half the ownership battle!

Thank you! This is kinda where I am. It's not an impulse buy, that's for sure.

I may be holding off because if I boughtnit now we would have to go back to Epcot before Magic Kingdom closes to get it at 9pm. It's rare if we stay at Epcot after about 2pm.

Still deciding.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think a couple hour drive would be worth a visit to wigerts. If there is better material and much more options at a lower price. The drive time and gas make up for the cost of the tree and the time driving makes up for the time waiting on lower quality material to develop. So in the end it’s actually worth it. But like @Hartinez said if you are set on it, don’t let us talk you out of it. Just everyone’s thoughts. :)

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Look at the leaves in particular. Tree does not look it’s healthiest.
That I did notice, but I can't say exactly what it is. Looked along the lines of a nutrient deficiency, which is easily resolved.

But again, I still have plenty enough to learn.

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My vote is to go through the Wigert’s route. While the tree at Epcot might be taller, the height is of far lesser value than the compact and thicker foliage on the posted Wigert’s options. But I know I’ve ultimately purchased something because it’s what I wanted, regardless of others opinion. If it makes you happy, go for it!

Top Bottom