What did you do today? Show us Pic Required

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I guess you didn't get the front yard flower bed cleaned up for Mrs. Cajunrider.;)
The son of one if my neighbor wants to start a landscape business. I am a customer now. It appears I will have to sell a couple trees to get that flower bed done,

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I built a clump of Styrax japonicus, the Bill V. way. I’m really stoked with the results, I think it looks awesome and I haven’t even done anything besides wire the trunks and toss it together.

As can sort of be seen in the pre-potting picture, this is actually 3 plants, each with multiple “trunks.” I used a thick wire with no plastic as tourniquet to join the trunks, hoping to ground layer some new roots.

Wired my first tree!!! Not the prettiest job. But I learned some lessons, and I'll do better😉
This is an EXCELLENT job wiring, especially for a first attempt. Well done, and stick at it. Don’t forget to check often starting in about 5 weeks! It can bite in quite fast.

Attachments

• IMG_1753.jpeg
    IMG_1753.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1750.jpeg
    IMG_1750.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1754.jpeg
    IMG_1754.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 25

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you! 😊 I've been trying to find good info on when to remove it. 👍
It should be removed when it appears to be flat on the side contacting the bark, as this means the wire is starting to “bite in”. Really it’s not the wiring biting, but the branch growing into and around the wire. It’s very important to take it off before it grows too far into the wire, or the branch will be scarred for many years. Just keep it an eye on it as the tree starts to grow out.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I went ahead and did the necessary root work on the BC I flat topped yesterday. It’s not the thickest tree but I feel the scale works.View attachment 534858View attachment 534859View attachment 534860
Very nice!!!
If it were mine I would set the second branch on a more horizontal angle and set the flat a tiny bit lower. I see that natural pattern all the time down here in the swamp.

Now I know where the pot goes :D
PS: It feels good when you know your friend.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Very nice!!!
If it were mine I would set the second branch on a more horizontal angle and set the flat a tiny bit lower. I see that natural pattern all the time down here in the swamp.

Now I know where the pot goes :D
PS: It feels good when you know your friend.
I need to get some copper on it for that move, great minds think alike my friend.

Top Bottom