What did you do today? Show us Pic Required

Weta

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Struggling without my garden shadow this morning, I'm not used to walking in a straight line as he would hug each step.
I was able to open the fridge without harassment, I miss him.
Picture of him after he had used the ladder to climb into the roof.
IMG_20220107_154713.jpg

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Struggling without my garden shadow this morning, I'm not used to walking in a straight line as he would hug each step.
View attachment 530920
My cat Little Bear looks almost exactly like him except mine has white feet. I'm sorry for your loss.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
View attachment 530920
So sorry my friend. May your shadow forever live on in your best memories.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Technically, this was yesterday. Removed flowers, then pruned and wired my dwarf rhododendron.
IMG_1582.jpegIMG_1585.jpegIMG_1583.jpeg
IMG_1589.jpeg
It ain’t pretty yet, but this will do a ton to reduce the current legginess.

I also cleaned the sap off several of my tools, but no picture for that except the cut I gave myself.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Technically, this was yesterday. Removed flowers, then pruned and wired my dwarf rhododendron.
View attachment 530976View attachment 530977View attachment 530975
View attachment 530978
It ain’t pretty yet, but this will do a ton to reduce the current legginess.

I also cleaned the sap off several of my tools, but no picture for that except the cut I gave myself.
Actually off to a pretty good start! I can see the future of this one!

David P

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Today I dug out this California Coastal Oak from my growing bed. It’s been growing there for at least 10 years. It started its life as a seedling. It gave me a decent fight. It had a massive tap root that grew through the pot. Let’s see what I can do with it. I will repot it into a grow box tomorrow chop away.

IMG_6553.jpeg

I also repotted my Cork bark elm and sorted out the roots. I put it in a shallower grow box. Next year I will try and put it in a thin Bonsai pot.

IMG_6537.jpeg
IMG_6536.jpegIMG_6541.jpegIMG_6544.jpeg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Today I dug out this California Coastal Oak from my growing bed. It’s been growing there for at least 10 years. It started its life as a seedling. It gave me a decent fight. It had a massive tap root that grew through the pot. Let’s see what I can do with it. I will repot it into a grow box tomorrow chop away.

View attachment 530992

I also repotted my Cork bark elm and sorted out the roots. I put it in a shallower grow box. Next year I will try and put it in a thin Bonsai pot.

View attachment 530988
View attachment 530989View attachment 530990View attachment 530991
Those are awesome trees. Did you make any cuttings from the cork elm’s root trimmings?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 530992

Nice to see what a verified, 10 yr old coast live oak trunk looks like. NIce oak.

circledisk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

View attachment 530992

View attachment 530988
View attachment 530989View attachment 530990View attachment 530991
that coastal oak is gorgeous.

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
people are already repotting trees?! 🫠
I checked on my over-wintering plants and noticed buds pushing on my honeysuckle... this is going to be quite some spring huh? 50s and 60s for the forseeable forecast :/

Attachments

• 20240229_123228.jpg
    20240229_123228.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 33

Kievnstavick

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
people are already repotting trees?! 🫠
I checked on my over-wintering plants and noticed buds pushing on my honeysuckle... this is going to be quite some spring huh? 50s and 60s for the forseeable forecast :/

I am one of those people haha. I am also in a very temperate climate. It is still fairly cool out and trees are waking up. I am expecting a fairly warm and early spring with a mid to late freeze.

I have been fairly busy with my repots. This is the second repotting of a dwarf Alberta spruce. It has a very large side root that after evaluation of the root system, I did not feel like I could address it without taking a large gamble. A grand majority of the fine feeder roots came off that awkward side root.

So my new plan going forward is to aim for a scene where the tree either got blown over and survived or it is growing on the hill/cliff where on side has collapsed over time. I'll let this tree take this year off for the most part before i start playing with the branches to simulate the scene more cohesively.DSC_0777.JPGDSC_0779.JPG

takira

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I potted up my weird-looking collected American Larch! I was debating waiting a little longer (it was seventy degrees two days ago and is now QUITE a bit cooler - all the outdoor trees are still living in the garage until the weather's mood swings are a little less dramatic) but since it was already starting to push out growth, I wasn't sure waiting would be best.

Apologies for the extremely cluttered photos - clearly I need to clean up a bit more of the garage than JUST the bonsai area. >_>;;

Attachments

• larchpot3.jpg
    larchpot3.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 25
  • larchpot2.jpg
    larchpot2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 25
  • larchpot1.jpg
    larchpot1.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 24
Top Bottom