What did you do today? Show us Pic Required

Okay so I didn't take any pics of the actual plants... Been a long day but I will show you all! I went to a nursery in Tucson where they let me wander the grow area. There happened to be a bunch of Red Elf Pyrocantha in 5-gals that had grown into the ground. I picked up one that had a 2" base! Also picked up some other desert natives. I will post all the desert natives I am working with soon. I think these will be game-changers for those of us in the heat! One I am most excited about is Celtis pallida (spiny desert hackberry). Wait till you see these little guys! They basically grow like bonsai with no help.

Here's the obligatory pic lol

1709009376259.png

Today I placed an order for shipping bags that should (read: IT BETTER) fit the large flat rate USPS priority mailing box. A friend moved to Pennsylvania and wants me to ship him my bonsai soil. I suspect I'll regret adding mail-order to my business.

Today I placed an order for shipping bags that should (read: IT BETTER) fit the large flat rate USPS priority mailing box. A friend moved to Pennsylvania and wants me to ship him my bonsai soil. I suspect I'll regret adding mail-order to my business.
14x14x36 boxes for shipping trees. They are not cheap!
IMG_1232.png

I shipped hundreds of large flat rate boxes of DE about 5 years ago in trash bags. Worked like a charm.

Repotting season has begun!
Sifted 10 gallons of pumice, added black lava, akadama, and coco coir: 10: 1: 4: 2.

Then up-potted 3 princess persimmons that I was given in October. I suspected they were root bound and I was right. No root disturbance at all; just 3" plastic pots < 6" pond baskets.

Attachments

• 20240227_113251.jpg
    20240227_113251.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240227_113733.jpg
    20240227_113733.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240227_114537.jpg
    20240227_114537.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 36
Repotting season has begun!
Sifted 10 gallons of pumice, added black lava, akadama, and coco coir: 10: 1: 4: 2.

Then up-potted 3 princess persimmons that I was given in October. I suspected they were root bound and I was right. No root disturbance at all; just 3" plastic pots < 6" pond baskets.
Not sure if that is what you did but slip potting is not recommended. There is a high probability you have created circling roots. Always work the roots like the rest of the tree they need to be developed. Also loosening the rootball allow for better integration in the new soil.

Not sure if that is what you did but slip potting is not recommended. There is a high probability you have created circling roots. Always work the roots like the rest of the tree they need to be developed. Also loosening the rootball allow for better integration in the new soil.
Everyone (here on Bnut and in my regional club) has told me not to work on Princess Persimmon except in August! The one exception is that I'm told Julian Adams
repots in January. My club member friend who gave these to me said that he thought I would be OK doing this as long as I didn't touch the roots.

Picture tax:

Attachments

• 20240227_113733.jpg
    20240227_113733.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 20
15 box pack. It a little over $5 per box.

Check this out. Many different sizes. The size you got are about $4 per in packs of 25.
If you can go a little shorter, 30 inches it's even cheaper. Could save yourself some money ordering some different sizes.

Another ....grr.... repot of juniper.

2024 tall juni 1.jpg

Again with big wind resistant rock.

Not much root reduction but not much had grown. Tree was in a HEAVY pot :mad: ...again. And not wired in very good. :rolleyes:
NO MOVEMENT now!! :D

MUCH
thinning in a month or so. I don't mind trimming and thinning
I have a bit of experience with thinning.

BN small.jpg

;)

Now done with the HARD ones. Whew. Next can be the ....little.... trees. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom