USDA Zone
7A

circledisk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Dang those are chunkers!
very. I'm into oversized trees right now. i'll be cutting the roots back again in two years when I repot into a finer soil so I can squeeze it into a smaller pot.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Took delivery on a couple of trees that were collected last year.
I can see Ryan compressing the hell out of this one!

1709123387779.png

Yup. Works great for us here.
I am considering this as well as soon as I move to my house... that and a mix with pumice.

It works for Onuma as well, he grows everything in pure lava or a mix with pumice.

1709123612706.png

circledisk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Cross posting from the Yamadori thread: Can anyone here who lives in Texas/Louisianna get their hands on a cedar elm or two?

The Barber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Girlfriend wanted to hit a nursery today for houseplantd, I ended up with 6 trees, 4 Weigela, a Buttonbush, and a Spirea.

No experience with Weigela, but appears to have fine branching and internodes. They had some nice bonsai material, appears they have been chopped back each year. I couldn't pass them up. Love the gnarly bark on them as well. Will get more pics when I get home. Ran out of room in the car or I'd have bought more 🤣

20240228_140656.jpg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They do this?
Wow. Would have suspected mice. Squirrels are these cute little furballs eating peanuts!

Squirrels are demons sent by Satan himself. They look cute so you don't react to them they way you would rats. Then they wait until you're distracted and randomly destroy. They have a knack for targeting that which you value most.

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Everyone (here on Bnut and in my regional club) has told me not to work on Princess Persimmon except in August! The one exception is that I'm told Julian Adams
repots in January. My club member friend who gave these to me said that he thought I would be OK doing this as long as I didn't touch the roots.

Picture tax:
I have no experience with the species so I could definitely be wrong. However if that is true for them I would have waited for August, but probably I would have done 1 regular repot now and wait with the others for August. I am facing a similar dilemma with my chojubai but nature decided for me and they are fully leafed out so I will have to wait for an early summer repot.

PerryB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have no experience with the species so I could definitely be wrong. However if that is true for them I would have waited for August, but probably I would have done 1 regular repot now and wait with the others for August. I am facing a similar dilemma with my chojubai but nature decided for me and they are fully leafed out so I will have to wait for an early summer repot.
I was going to do just one repot, but the first was so rootbound that I had to cut the pot away. Then I feared the others would die before August!

BTW, I have enough years of experience that with any other species I would have worked the roots as you suggested.

Top Bottom