What did you do today? Show us Pic Required

I was also feeling antsy to do some bonsai work, but of course none to do. So I did some prep work for repotting season; grinding and dyeing sphagnum for top dressing.IMG_1223.jpeg
Maybe next time I need to get permission to use the stainless steel kitchen sink, but the bathtub worked okay until cleanup time.

I was also feeling antsy to do some bonsai work, but of course none to do. So I did some prep work for repotting season; grinding and dyeing sphagnum for top dressing.View attachment 524316
Maybe next time I need to get permission to use the stainless steel kitchen sink, but the bathtub worked okay until cleanup time.
What a coincidence, I am also grinding some spaghum moss tonight.

Mostly because the garage is way too cold to continue work on my tropicals currently.

20240113_193538.jpg

Why not use a layer of small bark pieces if I can ask?

Depends on the application on if I'd want to use pine bark or sphagnum moss.

For instance, on one of my plants I am attempting to encourage roots to occupy a location where a larger root died off. The moss can easily adhere to the area where as pine bark would be a little harder and a larger mound.

20240113_230545.jpg

I also use a lot of sphagnum moss as a top layer in my seed germination trays as a way to keep the seeds moist while they do their thing. Sifting and using my pine bark fines for that would be unecconomical for me given that I use those small sizes for other mixes.

Another reason I use the shredded moss, is that it is a great area for native moss to start growing on.

Here is my yield for the night. Almost a full container.

20240113_230626.jpg

Depends on the application on if I'd want to use pine bark or sphagnum moss.

For instance, on one of my plants I am attempting to encourage roots to occupy a location where a larger root died off. The moss can easily adhere to the area where as pine bark would be a little harder and a larger mound.

I also use a lot of sphagnum moss as a top layer in my seed germination trays as a way to keep the seeds moist while they do their thing. Sifting and using my pine bark fines for that would be unecconomical for me given that I use those small sizes for other mixes.

Another reason I use the shredded moss, is that it is a great area for native moss to start growing on.

Here is my yield for the night. Almost a full container.
ROR elm? Does it have a thread?

WOrking with spaghnum.. Make sure to wear a mouthmask.

I went to my first Bonsai Society of the Carolinas (BSOC) meeting today. We met at Bella Bonsai and I got to meet everyone and talk trees a bit. I had a blast stomping through the woods looking for trees with potential. I came back with yet another American hornbeam. I also became a member of BSOC!
View attachment 524300View attachment 524301View attachment 524303
And… I finally got to get my bonsainut pins. Thank you @Sansokuu and @WavyGaby
It was a good day. I'm glad you came and joined the club. We need more youth like yourself. Thanks again for the Saucer Magnolia. My wife is super stoked about planting it in the front yard after I showed pics of the flowers online. You are very generous and I'm happy you came out with a nice Carpinus.
Here's the one I found (at a friends house), haha
20240113_164219.jpg

ROR elm? Does it have a thread?

WOrking with spaghnum.. Make sure to wear a mouthmask.

ROR Schefflera actually. I don't have a thread on it just yet as I only have a couple of pictures of it since I had acquired it earlier this year.
This is a slightly outdated picture from late September after I defoliated it. In this picture you can see where the dead root was after I removed the mushy stuff.
I plan to take new pictures once the coldsnap goes away and my garage is warm enough to hangout in there for extended periods without winter gear. I should be wiring the branches today and cleaning up the dieback stubs left from the last pruning.DSC_0497S.jpg

Wow! You're doing pretty good work there. How do you get the crackle in the pot like that if ok to ask?
Thank you.
Sure, I learned about it by watching YouTube.
You throw a cylinder as wide as base of the pot and thick walls, then, paint it with sodium silicate, dry the surface up with a heat gun and stretch it from the inside only afterwards.
Here are a much better pot being made

Came across this Basket Willow tree last fall. It was growing in a ditch by the road around the corner from where I live. I've always wanted a Willow tree so today I dug it up. It was in murky water and slimy mud but I managed to get it out without falling in. 2 inches at the base. Not sure about nebari yet. This pot was the only thing wide enough that I had IMG_20240114_151332686.jpgbecause of the taproot.IMG_20240114_152444521.jpg

Sent a couple of hours preparing cuttings today! Prunus Mume " Kobai " Timing delayed this year with a very extended warm fall early winter. Some of the plants just dropped their leaves last week. This is the second session and resulted in roughly 150 more cuttings. I bundle them in small groups with damp paper towel, sandwich baggies and into the fridge. Will be curious to see how the later timing works for this batch, had to remove flower buds carefully first on some sections. I have not prepared them this late in the year before. The normal preparation time is mid November in my neck of the woods. One picture shows the tools involved and the other the general layout before packaging.
Single sided razor blade, grafting knife, Clonex for root end, sealer for top end. The wooden board with the rubber matt makes the cutting easier for sharp edges without crushing the ends. Next step will be to sterilize the planting medium and prepare flats for sticking the cuttings after they callus up. Then into the flats and on to the heat mat until leaves break. Then add lights and foliar feed until roots develop.

Attachments

• IMG_2150.JPG
    IMG_2150.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2149.JPG
    IMG_2149.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 20
What about sphagnum requires gloves and face mask pls.
One should always wear a mask when working with fine airborne particulates.

Back
Top Bottom