What did you do today? Show us Pic Required

On top of mulching things I went to the doctor today, my health is finally on the up and up, bloodwork was on perfect. I saw this on my way out of the Dr. Office… god I love North Carolina rednecks… they just dont give a damn 😂
View attachment 524533
I also did my weekly water testing on the ol’ reef tank. All is good and my ecosystem is thriving.
View attachment 524534
Lmaoooooooo what did that sticker all the way on right say?

Day is not over but it has earned the title of " Snow Day ". Here on the island this usually means less travel while they clear the roads. In my case perhaps a Bonsai " hunt" is in order! Will just have to check tree in the greenhouse today for water. When asked what did I do today. SHOVEL!

Attachments

• IMG_2155.JPG
    IMG_2155.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2154.JPG
    IMG_2154.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2153.JPG
    IMG_2153.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 34
Did a quick rendering of my tree with filled out pads and some shari. I also ordered a Reiho nanban for it. View attachment 524730
Looking awesome! Question… what software do you use for making such rendering? I’ve seen many people doing so and I tried too with crap that I have but if doesn’t work :(

Not much here as it's been single digits and negative wind chill for days. Not going above freezing for another week.
Trees are tucked in pretty well but I has planned on better wind protection .My tree house lowers so the wind screen runs to the ground. I didn't get it down... It was 50s and 60s 3 weeks ago I lost some branches to drying winds last winter. I had a plan... obviously not a current pic. LOL
1705532159965.png
Dog want's her pond back. Digging for water. 1705532317821.png

Attachments

• 1705532275659.png
    1705532275659.png
    143.7 KB · Views: 17
Using Notion, I built a database for my pots. Still need to add about half my pots to it, as well as finishing taking measurements and pictures of many of the ones I've added, but it's coming along!
1705532604246.png
I plan to use this in the short term to get a better idea of what types of pots I need (currently, the answer is anything above shohin/smaller end of chuhin). In time, I could use it to build a shop of sorts. I have something similar for my trees as well, which also serves as a work log.

Made three Kabudachi JM clumps following Bjorn’s success. Tied at the base with wire inside spaghetti tubing and buried just below the soil. Time will tell whether the trunks of each clump fuse into one. Just going to let them run and then apply a little wire in the fall.

Attachments

• IMG_7903.jpeg
    IMG_7903.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 29
I made an ill-fated attempt to wire my F. benjamina ‘ZigZag’. You all know the story—oh, I just need to reposition a few branches to get light where it needs to go. Well, the tree had other ideas. These small branches either just popped off at the node or broke. Worst of all, I snapped the branch I was trying to get light to!

After these setbacks, I gave up on the wire, took it off, and cut back some of the apex to make up for the foliage I broke off. I have just upgraded my growlights and have had good growth response since then, so I’m confident it will bounce back and get the growth where I need, just a bit delayed. next step is to get it into a grow pot this summer.
before and after

IMG_1272.jpegIMG_1277.jpeg

I made an ill-fated attempt to wire my F. benjamina ‘ZigZag’. You all know the story—oh, I just need to reposition a few branches to get light where it needs to go. Well, the tree had other ideas. These small branches either just popped off at the node or broke. Worst of all, I snapped the branch I was trying to get light to!

After these setbacks, I gave up on the wire, took it off, and cut back some of the apex to make up for the foliage I broke off. I have just upgraded my growlights and have had good growth response since then, so I’m confident it will bounce back and get the growth where I need, just a bit delayed. next step is to get it into a grow pot this summer.
before and after

View attachment 524757View attachment 524758
I'm laughing because I know.
I've got to have a dozen benjis floating around my house right now, and that is one of the things that makes them fun to work: they have no plans, so you shouldn't either.🤣

That's what I did last week on one of mine as well. 🤣

before and after

View attachment 524757View attachment 524758
Pretty sure what you have is F. Benjamina “wiandi”. Don’t be discouraged by the branch breakage. They are very brittle ficus. More suited to clip and grow but you can wire them. As you found out though, your wiring needs to be very well executed and the branch bent very slowly. They make great trees though due to their natural form. @Colorado also has a really nice one.

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/ficus-benjamina-“wiandi”.40702/

Back
Top Bottom