Tropicals migrating inside

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
We've had some 40's but my trees are up close to the house. Supposed to be in the 70's yet this week, so I'm holding out another week.

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Agreed mine came in last night when it was due to dip to 38. I’m getting ahead of the fungus gnats this year and putting the yellow sticky paper out now. At first appearance I will treat with some diluted hydrogen peroxide as that is what helped me finally kill them last year.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Got mine finished moving the other night. Still need to sort out my supplemental lighting, and drip trays for the larger ones.
Still need to arrange things for my temperate species outside. They'll need extra protection since the dog thinks anything on the ground is his.

We got down into the high 30s the other night, but we may be looking at our first actual frost by next week. Looking to be an almost normal autumn here so far, and maybe a normal winter as well.
We'll see if I can keep the pipes from bursting this year.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’m holding out for a little while longer. We’re forecasted in the mid 40’s tonight. I still need to thin the herd a little bit so I can fit all of them in my tent. Anyone want a small normal or variegated benjamina?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My tropicals got a taste of 36F one night & 38F for 2-3 nights. Only one is pouting, but I do have a couple funny looking leaves on the BRT. Everything is inside now and they lasted outdoors three weeks longer this year compared to last year.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
With my BRT I leave it put until temps are predicted below 40F which here was last night. However after tonight we are going back up and the tree goes back out for at least another week.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don’t really understand why people allow their tropicals to get so cold. We work so hard to take great care of our trees throughout the year, or in some cases over many years.

Why flirt with disaster?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don’t really understand why people allow their tropicals to get so cold. We work so hard to take great care of our trees throughout the year, or in some cases over many years.

Why flirt with disaster?
Trees, including tropicals, grow better when they receive natural light and air and humidity. As long as temps don’t fall low enough to be detrimental to their health they are just better off outside unless you have a green house or special grow room.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Why flirt with disaster?

I agree. I think its procrastination or not wanting to admit summer is over.
One of my BRT is around 25 years old.
The person that grew it in Florida from a cutting said they do not like to get below 50 deg F.
I ordered it from him in March but he held on to it until May when temperatures were a bit warmer up here and he said that if they had nights that it would be below 50 down there, he would move it into the greenhouse.

Ficus can stand down to 30 BRIEFLY. I have 6-8 cuttings that I repotted this year and are still pretty small and havent grown much roots yet so I definitely dont want them below 50 at this point. I figure if Im moving the BRT and the cuttings in, I might as well bring in the 2 bigger ficus at the same time.

Last edited:

jradics

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I’m holding out for a little while longer. We’re forecasted in the mid 40’s tonight. I still need to thin the herd a little bit so I can fit all of them in my tent. Anyone want a small normal or variegated benjamina?
It was 42 in Atlanta last night. guess everything comes in when i get home. My night blooming cerus (epiphyllium oxypetalum) are said to die at 38 degrees.

Reactions: Zac

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Why flirt with disaster?

Can't speak for everyone, but in my case - we have a long, dark winter. Our old house doesn't have great windows with southern exposure and I only have limited space for supplemental lighting. So, I opt to keep them outside as long as possible in the fall to take advantage of natural light. That said, being a meteorologist, I have a pretty good understanding of when temps might get too cold based on a variety of factors so I feel pretty confident about when to leave them out and when to bring them in.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I brought mine inside this morning. What is protocol regarding acclimating the trees to the indoors? I placed my trees in the grow tent under lights - 12 hours alternating on and off every half hour. Really not sure what Im supposed be doing.

Reactions: Zac

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I brought mine inside this morning. What is protocol regarding acclimating the trees to the indoors? I placed my trees in the grow tent under lights - 12 hours alternating on and off every half hour. Really not sure what Im supposed be doing.

Really depends on what tree's you've got and their health - and the intensity of your system.

My stuff's coming in this week. I'll defoliate, cut back and wire most of my ficus and rain trees as I put them in the tent. I try to time their growth cycle so they are super strong and bushy growing into fall, so they have plenty of energy to push new leaves that are acclimated to the new conditions of indoor growth. Also keeps them from making a mess inside if a tree is going to drop leaves any way (looking at you Benjaminas).

Continual lows under 50, and high's getting only up to the high 60's are the key for me.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am in the process know. It takes about a week or so to get all of mine in. Some plants, like BRT do do like it below 50, but they will survive. Ficus can take it down to 40, even upper 30s with no problem, but the may assume dormancy. Willow leaf is prone to this. My succulents and cactus are last to come it. I actually prefer waiting for a light frost on my larger cactus.
But, things are changing, including my ability to care for all these plants. I am planning to get rid of many of my tropicals. In about another week I will have a better idea.

Zac

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I brought mine in Saturday night temps dropping into mid to low 40's. I'm doing the bonsai shuffle in at night out in the day when I can so they get as much sun as possible.

Top Bottom