When to Bring Out Tropicals Under Lights

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I understand that people will start to bring their tropicals back outside once freezes are in the rear view mirror. I have mine under lights - it's like mid 80s in the grow tent and sunny 14 hours a day, so I am hesitant to just bring them out once temps are in the 50s. Will that shock the trees?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have awhile before your nighttime temps stay in the 50s and beyond. You should not have any problem with the transition, but you might want to dial it back to 12 hours. It may not make a difference but that is what I have been doing. Almost all my plants are kept at 10-12 hours lighting all winter except in my propagation room where they are kept at 14 hours.

keithl

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't like shuffling trees inside and out, so I just wait until nighttime lows are close to 50 so I don't have to worry at all about frost/freeze. That is normally around the first week or two in May around here. I used to put them out in April, but it's just too much time/work to be moving them back inside when it gets too cold.

The trees never have problems going from warm tent to colder outdoor temps. The amount of extra light they get from the sun vs grow lights seems much more important than the temperature.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I bring my tropicals outside any day that temps aren't going to drop below 40F.

And even on days that will have cold nights, I still put them outside for 12 hours or so in order to spray them down with a hose, let them drain, and bring them back indoors before it gets too cold. Today it is forecast to hit 59F, so even though it is only 46F outside right now, I am putting them outside as soon as I am done typing this :)

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I bring my tropicals outside any day that temps aren't going to drop below 40F.

And even on days that will have cold nights, I still put them outside for 12 hours or so in order to spray them down with a hose, let them drain, and bring them back indoors before it gets too cold. Today it is forecast to hit 59F, so even though it is only 46F outside right now, I am putting them outside as soon as I am done typing this :)
I have a hunch, but why spray them down?Do you treat them with anything?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I understand that people will start to bring their tropicals back outside once freezes are in the rear view mirror. I have mine under lights - it's like mid 80s in the grow tent and sunny 14 hours a day, so I am hesitant to just bring them out once temps are in the 50s. Will that shock the trees?

I bring mine out in late May or early June when night temps will reliably be above 40 for ficus and 50 for Brazilian rain trees.
Otherwise they stay under their lights.
However mine are not in a tent so their temperatures aren't as high as where yours are. During the day they might see 75 degrees under their lights but at night it goes down to 65 or so

cmu268

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I usually bring mine out for the season in mid-late May, that's generally when night temps are pretty reliably in the 50s around here. I hate having to do the shuffle so I try to wait until the risk of cold nights is gone

ForrestW

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If I were home I would do more like Bonsai Nut-- but when I am home (weekends evenings) I will often bring them out and spray them down with the hose just for pest protections all winter long when the temps hit the 50's and I try and keep them outside when temps are 40+ at night (mostly 45 and up-- but if there is a span of warmer nights and one down around 41-40 I may let it go).. I have grow lights but have not tried the tent idea-- but I am pondering it for next season. I also only have 5 medium sized ones and 3 small tropicals.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I usually bring mine out for the season in mid-late May, that's generally when night temps are pretty reliably in the 50s around here. I hate having to do the shuffle so I try to wait until the risk of cold nights is gone
Yea that's my philosophy too.
I don't dance bonsai around any more.

I just don't have the time and with my cold frame trees, I have too many.

They go out when I'm sure they will be ok.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don't dance bonsai around any more.
I try to keep the bonsai dancing to a minimal. And with two wild growing 5 foot vachelias in the basement loaded with 2+ inch thorns, this is a dance I would prefer to do only twice a year (once in and once out).

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love these postings. I just have to figure things out continually because I have all total, a few hundred tropical and sub tropical plants. Of course many of these are not bonsai. This year I am doing a purge. I am eliminating 4 grow light areas in my house and will maintain the other 7 areas. I am just learning to throw away my prunings rather than making them cuttings. And I am getting rid of problem plants that have caused me issues.
I have to say that I have some tropical bonsai that do bring me joy all winter long, but it is a lot of work.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Love these postings. I just have to figure things out continually because I have all total, a few hundred tropical and sub tropical plants

I have to say that I have some tropical bonsai that do bring me joy all winter long, but it is a lot of work.

Some? 🤣
You have a whole forest

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Once in, once out for me. I have let my tropicals see some 40's the last couple of years and I think I have a lot less leaf drop once they're brought in. They go back out once it's consistently 50 or above at night. I don't have the massive amount @penumbra does but enough to make the shuffle a giant pain.

Top Bottom