How long can I bring my tree inside for in winter?

Have you taken a temp reading on your enclosed balcony? Maybe just a supplemental heater will raise the temp enough to stay above freezing..
Yea, I have a thermometer outside, it is usually between 5 and 10 degrees warmer. It's south east facing so it depends if the sun is out or not. When we get around -5 I tend to open the glass panels on sunny days. Floor is also carpeted and off the cold concrete.

Don't really have a good pic at the moment and can't take now as it's pitch black, but here is basically what I mean. It's about 3m long with my trees tucked up against the apartment wall in the corner on the left out of the pic. You can see examples of other apartments in the background. They have the same as me

Attachments

• IMG20231101134722.jpg
    IMG20231101134722.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 15
Yea that's what I'm thinking now after everyone's replies. Gotta gain more patience I guess. I also partially wanna bring them inside for a few hours to help them defrost even just a little to help me water them easier. They look dry and I water only for the water to freeze on top
Watering and placing back out in freezing temperatures is not advisable. Can be dangerous with certain species and of little benefit in freezing temperatures.

Watering and placing back out in freezing temperatures is not advisable. Can be dangerous with certain species and of little benefit in freezing temperatures.
I'm originally not from a cold country, so definitely trying to get use to the winters. Can I ask what species? Why is watering dangerous and how do you keep conifers having moisture if they've been frozen for a while?

I'm originally not from a cold country, so definitely trying to get use to the winters. Can I ask what species? Why is watering dangerous and how do you keep conifers having moisture if they've been frozen for a while?
First species that comes to mind is trident maples. Retaining moisture during cold winters can be assisted by preventative measures such as wind protection, moss on the surface are of the soil. Trees that are dormant use very little moisture themselves. Try to water when temperatures are above freezing and several hours for drainage are available before temperatures drop. And as previously noted when the ground in the pot is not frozen.

Back
Top Bottom