What grow lights do you use to over winter your tropicals?

SubJeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've officially hit the point where I don't have enough window space to keep all of my tropicals over winter. Wondering what lights you guys would recommend. I plan on putting them in a grow tent as well. I've heard good things about the Samsung 1000w and up. Just curious what you guys are currently using! Thanks. Looking to stay in the sub 200$ range.

Probably a 3 by 3 tent and a Viparspectra XS1500 will be your best bet. The light is sub 200. The light and the tent won't be (of course).

I've officially hit the point where I don't have enough window space to keep all of my tropicals over winter. Wondering what lights you guys would recommend. I plan on putting them in a grow tent as well. I've heard good things about the Samsung 1000w and up. Just curious what you guys are currently using! Thanks. Looking to stay in the sub 200$ range.
I love this one. LINK I've only used it last year but it gave great growth results during the winter. More discussion about it here. It's currently $155 with the $45 off coupon.

Two tables with 32 watt, 4 foot daylight fluorescent shoplights.

One table has 6 tubes/bulbs, the other has 3

Could try the equivalent in LEDs

Probably a 3 by 3 tent and a Viparspectra XS1500 will be your best bet. The light is sub 200. The light and the tent won't be (of course).
Haha, yea, I'm expecting to be in the 4 - 5 range with wire rack, tent and lights, haha. I appreciate the input. I'll have to read into the light. Thanks!

I love this one. LINK I've only used it last year but it gave great growth results during the winter. More discussion about it here. It's currently $155 with the $45 off coupon.
Thats actually a killer deal considering it comes with the rack as well. I'll definitely be looking into this one if I can find a tent to fit it in. A bit too dry and cold in the basement to keep them out, haha

Thats actually a killer deal considering it comes with the rack as well. I'll definitely be looking into this one if I can find a tent to fit it in. A bit too dry and cold in the basement to keep them out, haha
The lights do produce some additional heat, the spider lights seem hotter than the shelf I posted but the temps under the lights will be warmer. I use a humidifier if needed, but normally all my plants in the same room with the door closed and two fans going is enough to keep the humidity at 60% or so, without the humidifier. I joke that my tropicals are spoiled in the winter because they get more LED lights in the winter than they do sunshine in my MI summer. :)

Haha, yea, I'm expecting to be in the 4 - 5 range with wire rack, tent and lights, haha. I appreciate the input. I'll have to read into the light. Thanks!

It seems to be that the Viparspectra XS1500 is one of the most competitive LED grow lights currently. It is for a 2 by 2 tent if you grow cannabis. So a 3x3 with a lower setting would work for your plants.

I am looking into upgrading to the HLG 65V2, I have a 3x3x5’ tall tent and willing this will work well, switching over from T’5s which were okay.

I have plenty grow lights left from my aquarium days. I probably have enough to get to over 2000 par at 3 feet above the plants.

I have a spider farmer SF-4000 that is clearly overkill as I have the dimmer set at 40% and it's daylight bright. The plants seem to love it though as with them only under it a week they have all bloomed out massive new growth.

Lights. tents etc. It has all to do with your plants and your set up. It also has to do with you goals, do you plan to hold them for the winter, or grow them all winter. Heat may also be a factor. I use various types of lights. I have 41 drawing power at this time. Some are simple and some elaborate. Some are primary and some are secondary. Currently I would say that my favorites are Spider Farmer. But some of my old cob lights seem to be most efficient. If you have just a small area to light, look at the Spider Farmer SF600. It is a long light intended to fill a 2 x 4 foot space. The others, such as the SF 1000 and up fill more squarish areas.
I have two more SF lights being delivered today. They are very light weight and simple to hang.
I have been doing this for several years and I spend a lot more time watering, spraying and such than anyone in their right mind has any reason to do. I plan to get rid of half (or more) of what I have now before next winter. It is just too much for me to keep up with anymore. All of this requires me to be housebound continually.

If you do use tents, they need venting and they need excellent air movement. Still, I have had to shut mine done twice now in as many years due to spider mites. They can take over in 2 days in a tent.

My system is total overkill honestly. But I really like the results.

Back
Top Bottom