Tropicals migrating inside

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don’t really understand why people allow their tropicals to get so cold. We work so hard to take great care of our trees throughout the year, or in some cases over many years.

Why flirt with disaster?
My tropicals have been indoors for about a month already. I have a couple Albizia saman that are especially sensitive to cold weather, so I get them indoors before we start getting nighttime lows down around 45 degrees Fahrenheit. I tend to migrate the rest of the tropicals at the same time just to get the job done. I let subtropicals like pomegranate stay outside a while longer, but even those are indoors now. The only trees that are still outside that will eventually come in are my coastal redwoods. I’d like to give those some more cold hours and let them experience some frost before I ultimately bring them in.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don’t really understand why people allow their tropicals to get so cold. We work so hard to take great care of our trees throughout the year, or in some cases over many years.

Why flirt with disaster?
Because I work 50 hours a week and I'm so very tired

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Why flirt with disaster?
Honestly TJ. My Wiandi routinely stay outside while temps are in the mid 40’s. In some ways, I want them to slow down significantly before coming inside for the winter. Ficus, generally grow in so many temperate climates, and while they would undoubtedly suffer if allowed to freeze, they can def get “cold” for the climates they grow in. I wont tempt fate too severely, but I've never had issues with mine.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I think tomorrow will be the time. I could probably go another week, the temps are going to be ok but I have the time and don't want to have to scurry if they take a sudden dip. It takes a minute to get everything set up.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think tomorrow will be the time. I could probably go another week, the temps are going to be ok but I have the time and don't want to have to scurry if they take a sudden dip. It takes a minute to get everything set up.
Took me 10+ hours. I'd like to know the few minute's trick if you care to share.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Isn't that how it goes? It's supposed to be high 70's here this coming week also. But once they're in, they're in.
Yup, I used to do the shuffle, but I can't justify it any more.
If I'd known I would've just done the two-step for a night or two, and they'd still be outside.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yup, I used to do the shuffle, but I can't justify it any more.
If I'd known I would've just done the two-step for a night or two, and they'd still be outside.
The only time I ever do the two-step is in the spring if we have an unexpected cold spell after I’ve already brought the tropicals outdoors. In my opinion, there’s no value in doing it in the fall just to get a few more days under natural sunlight. Once I’ve gone to the trouble of bringing them in, they’re in for the season.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My new indoor watering contraption.
IMG_20231023_062150_272.jpg
Hold the 1/4" hose out to the plant you're watering with one hand, squeeze the jug against your body with the other, and get a soft trickle of water in those awkward to reach spots. It does take a good bit of pressure, but cutting the excess off the hose may help with that. Perfect for my two youngest to teamwork the watering when they want to help. Might work on a more pouring style variant once I trim the hose.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone was wondering how they might solve similar problems.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Our first freeze is coming towards the end of this weekend. Still no real shit at precipitation in the forecast. About a month and a half since it rained.

There's been a smallish wildfire burning in the hills several miles south of a neighboring town for the past week. Mostly just smoldering, not really moving at all, but today the smoke ploom was substantial. I haven't been out that way in a while, but it looks close to a popular hiking trail where there's the remains of an old steam powered sawmill from the 1870s, as well as the stone fireplace still standing from the cabin where mill's owner once lived. Hope it doesn't get destroyed.
The state is already on it, so should be manageable.

Top Bottom