Tropicals migrating inside

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Forecast for last night was 34F. I woke up this morning to 30F with a nice frost on the grass. The trops have been in and I'm only two stepping sissy azaleas.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Mine are still outside. The coldest temps we have had at night so far is 42. I will have to get them in by Nov. 1st, high 30’s are forecasted.
I try to leave mine outside as long as I can, seems to help with the leaf drop. I could have left mine out another week but I had the time to get them moved and we have plans for next weekend, so 🤷‍♀️ they came in.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I try to leave mine outside as long as I can, seems to help with the leaf drop. I could have left mine out another week but I had the time to get them moved and we have plans for next weekend, so 🤷‍♀️ they came in.
I’m not looking forward to it for sure…. Seems like I had less tropicals going into last winter. Damn plant hoarding tendencies 🤣

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I just did the deed… it’s like playing Tetris but with trees. I have a few small rubber trees and a Gensing ficus that I still need to find homes for but that’s 95% of my tropicals in a 2’x4’ tent.View attachment 514749
Ahh, if only it was that easy for me...I am glad I got them in last weekend. We're looking at frost/freeze warnings for Monday. I still need to bring in the Gardenias, hibiscus and the Lantanas and get the crapes and azaleas in the garage.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here’s my humble little tropical window. 😊
2F8E2676-5679-4439-8B5D-D3E2765E6F58.jpeg

It’s a small window and there is a pretty large overhang on the roof outside. This is my first winter at this house. My last house had a large window that got a ton of sun. This one doesn’t get near as much light. Thinking about taking the plunge and getting some lights….maybe even a tent. Haven’t decided yet 😬

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here’s my humble little tropical window. 😊
View attachment 514792

It’s a small window and there is a pretty large overhang on the roof outside. This is my first winter at this house. My last house had a large window that got a ton of sun. This one doesn’t get near as much light. Thinking about taking the plunge and getting some lights….maybe even a tent. Haven’t decided yet 😬
I've not found a tent necessary, unless you're really that worried about humidity. Then again, my collection of tropicals and houseplants is a jungle unto itself, so of course I've quit worrying about humidity.🤪

I've found that a couple cheap, strategically placed lights are enough to get them through winter in a large but North facing window. With your little collection there, one big bar light off the shelf at Home Depot should be just fine.

sevan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was hoping to get a few more weeks, but we have a freeze warning for tomorrow night and sustained low temps most of the week. It warms up again next week, but I don't feel like carrying them back and forth. Besides most of them got severely chopped to fit inside, so they don't need much light anyway.

20231030_171829.jpg

Top Bottom