Trident trunk cutting

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Pretty surprised this thing is surviving. It’s like a 1.5-2” cut. Cut the top off to try and get some back budding in the main tree, didn’t expect this to make it. None of my skinny cuttings survived, yet this beast might. Most of the trunk is deep in the pot for now. Chopped it probably 3 months ago?

Attachments

• IMG_3389.jpeg
    IMG_3389.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3390.jpeg
    IMG_3390.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Sorry to rain on your parade.
Have you checked for roots? Don't count your cuttings until they actually have roots.
Thin stems have little food and energy stores so don't last very long without roots. Thicker cuttings have a much larger store of energy. They can grow quite sizeable shoots and stay green for months but without roots it's just a matter of time.
I have some pine cuttings that are still green after more than 2 years but still no roots.

Fingers crossed that this one survives.

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Sorry to rain on your parade.
Have you checked for roots? Don't count your cuttings until they actually have roots.
Thin stems have little food and energy stores so don't last very long without roots. Thicker cuttings have a much larger store of energy. They can grow quite sizeable shoots and stay green for months but without roots it's just a matter of time.
I have some pine cuttings that are still green after more than 2 years but still no roots.

Fingers crossed that this one survives.
Only time will tell. No loss if it dies anyways. Was more of an experiment since tridents can be pretty resilient.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Oh, l didn’t catch that this was a cutting.
🤓

Top Bottom