Trident Trunk chop vs air layering

Popper

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hey guys so theres this trident maple thats growing in a field, the trunk is about 7' at the base, what do u think about doing a trunk chop above the first branch going to the left and leaving it to grow out for the year before removing it? IMG_20230909_145319.jpgIMG_20230909_145237.jpgIMG_20230909_145142.jpgIMG_20230909_145319.jpgIMG_20230909_145237.jpgIMG_20230909_145142.jpgIMG_20230909_145202.jpg

I think it is a good plan.
What is the style you are envisioning for the maple?

So itll be fine to chop her during summer dormancy above the thin branches gng to the left which is about 16' from the base?

Summer dormancy on a maple means that the leaves should still be on there, it's just not growing.
To be honest, I think this tree might be dead.
Unless it looks like that every year! I'm not at all familiar with your climate or the way trees behave over there.

Wait, is it winter in south africa right now? I see temperatures of 13°C.
I think I want to retract my comment ;-)

Honestly. I looked in the background of the second photo and saw a house, the rooftop of a house. I didn’t know what to expect but did not expect to see a house like that. I have no idea of what I thought I should see. Thanks for posting and opening up my world view.

Lol beginning spring here...quite warm this year, buds are swelling she should break in the next couple weeks... Thinking of cutting it down in December

You can chop a trident almost any time of year. The question is whether this one is useful for bonsai.

In bonsai, big is not always better.
Consider the size of the pot this tree will need. Now double that because the reality is we always underestimate. How much will such a pot cost? Can you even find a pot that size in your area?
Consider how heavy it will be. Then double that because we tend to underestimate weight too. Pot and soil will add to the weight of the bare trunk. Who will help at repotting time every year or 2? Any plans to show it? Transport to and from and moving it at each end then home again after.
Think about ultimate size. The first chop tends to be around 1/3 of completed height. Based on the photos the first branch is around 24 inches from ground so completed height bonsai could be 6 feet 1.8m tall????? Is that even still bonsai?

The chop is pretty big. Even with lots of growth after it will probably take another 10 years to heal the cut. Chances are the heart wood will rot before the cut closes and then it will never heal properly so maybe plan for a carved or hollow trunk.
A low chop like this taking off the majority of active growth and leaving only a small side branch will be very disruptive to sap flow. It may bud out al over the stump and grow just fine but there's a very good chance one side of the trunk and the roots that support it will die back. While it is possible to style a hollow trunk tree that's not everyone's taste.
If it had more low branching it would be a very different proposition.

Personally think that this trident is way past potential bonsai in both size and in structure but if you want to get some experience in transplant and chop it would be great for that.

Do you struggle to find tridents in Mpumulanga? I can’t swing my arms around without hitting one here in JHB. Surely you could find something better, it’s just a straight thick trunk with an equally straight branch coming out at an angle.

Have a look at my trident thread to see what I ever managed to grow in SA in the short space of 3 seasons

Maybe its only me, but I think this is a good spot to try an air layer if nothing to lose and nobody messes about with it.
A potential mother daughter tree in there maybe

Attachments

• IMG_20230909_145237.jpg
    IMG_20230909_145237.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 25
Hey guys so theres this trident maple thats growing in a field, the trunk is about 7' at the base, what do u think about doing a trunk chop above the first branch going to the left and leaving it to grow out for the year before removing it? View attachment 507594View attachment 507595View attachment 507596View attachment 507594View attachment 507595View attachment 507596View attachment 507597
My big question to add to this is, do you have permission to do this? The trash can there suggest that this is either a public park or a government owned field. So did you get the correct municipal approval for this...because we know this will take a while in sa.
Alternatively as @SeanS suggested, take a look at his trident maple progressions, he can provide you with an idea of what kind of progression you can get in a short amount of time. Honestly, your trident maple can grow 1 to 2 meters within a year if ground grown and you can add a lot more interest in it from the beginning.

Do you struggle to find tridents in Mpumulanga? I can’t swing my arms around without hitting one here in JHB. Surely you could find something better, it’s just a straight thick trunk with an equally straight branch coming out at an angle.

Have a look at my trident thread to see what I ever managed to grow in SA in the short space of 3 seasons
Lol quite a few areas that these r growing in... Its jst ive seen this tree growing through the years 🙈 it's in a park close to home

My big question to add to this is, do you have permission to do this? The trash can there suggest that this is either a public park or a government owned field. So did you get the correct municipal approval for this...because we know this will take a while in sa.
Alternatively as @SeanS suggested, take a look at his trident maple progressions, he can provide you with an idea of what kind of progression you can get in a short amount of time. Honestly, your trident maple can grow 1 to 2 meters within a year if ground grown and you can add a lot more interest in it from the beginning.
Lol this is africa 🤣 let's embrace the corruption
Did think about that and considered to swap it out with a sercea lancea that's growing in my yard

Reactions: Pmr
Lol this is africa 🤣 let's embrace the corruption
Did think about that and considered to swap it out with a sercea lancea that's growing in my yard
I get what you're saying and yes this is africa, so you probably won't suffer any consequences.
But i'd rather be part of the solution than the problem. Besides put in the effort and grow your own (don't even have to grow from seed, nurserys sell 3 to 5 year old tridents for R250, which you can can ground grow further if you want) and let someone else enjoy watching it grow further in the park long after you are gone.

Honestly. I looked in the background of the second photo and saw a house, the rooftop of a house. I didn’t know what to expect but did not expect to see a house like that. I have no idea of what I thought I should see. Thanks for posting and opening up my world view.

I'm trying to puzzle out what you're talking about. Why wouldn't you expect to see a house? The bulk of the pictures on this website were taken at members' houses, and in many of them, you can clearly see the house.

I get what you're saying and yes this is africa, so you probably won't suffer any consequences.
But i'd rather be part of the solution than the problem. Besides put in the effort and grow your own (don't even have to grow from seed, nurserys sell 3 to 5 year old tridents for R250, which you can can ground grow further if you want) and let someone else enjoy watching it grow further in the park long after you are gone.
I would love to find these nurseries man! Could you help a brother out with names and addresses?

I'm struggling to find tridents... And bald cypress...

I would love to find these nurseries man! Could you help a brother out with names and addresses?

I'm struggling to find tridents... And bald cypress...
So depending on where exactly in Johannesburg you are there are the following places kazimingi nursery in edenvale...they can help you out with bald cypress and some of the other more exotic bonsai trees. Jo-da bonsai in Pomona, very small but bonsai focused nursery, it's where i got my bald cypress they also sell small seedling tridents, but i do not see the point because have the trees in my street is trident maples, so not going to buy seedlings. cndnursery in Linbro Park can sort you out with trident maple...they prefer to call them chinese maples, they have other trees as well, but they don't specialize in bonsai, so you will have to look around a bit. mikibu bonsai is in the midrand area (website resolves to bonsaisa)

There are others as well, but their stock is limited and varies greatly. I moved recently so these are now a bit out of reach for me, but i'm always on the lookout for others, so will update you if i find any other.

Back
Top Bottom