The Tree Thread

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@BFV definitely a favorite juniper! I now have a close friend of it that just got to my garden yesterday ;) Photo is from Don Blackmond. I will soon start a thread on this tree.

Dorothy I really like your clump ficus!

Itoigawa from Don.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
@BFV definitely a favorite juniper! I now have a close friend of it that just got to my garden yesterday ;) Photo is from Don Blackmond. I will soon start a thread on this tree.

Itoigawa from Don.

Niiice...wait till that bad boy fills in..good stuff mach520160220_024238.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You pulled the trigger, eh? Great tree! I tried talking Don out of it a couple years ago. Yes, both of our junipers came out of the same collection.
Look forward to seeing you develop it.
Ume at the end of blooming season...
image.jpeg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
$2.98 Mugo.jpg DSC_2619.JPG 05Mugoback.jpg 05Mugofront.jpg

Progression of a little Mugo. $2.98 nursery tree. Last photo is from 2005 the first photo is 2015 the middle photo is 2014 when the major redesign started. Notice how the trunk has thickened even after the tree was drastically reduced from one of my training planters. The root mass was reduced drastically, and placed in the Korean pot.

We hear a lot about how a tree will not thicken in a pot. I think this shows that at least in this case, that is not true. Notice too how the bark has developed in a pot. I am not trying to pick a fight, I just want to point out that sometimes the things we are told we have to be accepted as as graven in stone are probably written in cottage cheese instead.

What has happened with this tree may not be indicative of your tree or any other tree and I make no guarantees, promises, claims, or pontifications that you will get the same results if you do the same thing. Does that cover it? Just joking LOL

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Vance, the bottom two pictures look like an entirely different tree than the top two pictures!

Was the trunk buried deep in the training pot on the last two pictures? That's quite the transformation!

Also, it looks like you successfully dealt with the knob that appears to be an inch above the soil in the bottom pictures. Those knobs are very common on Mugos, at least the ones I see. And a major drawback to using Mugo, at least for me. But, your latest pictures don't have a knob! I'd like to know how you deal with the knobs. Perhaps that would be a good subject for a video! I haven't messed with a Mugo in years. When I did, and tried to prune off part of the knob on my tree, the resulting callous was as bad or worse as the original knob! Your insight on this problem I'm sure would be appreciated by many of us.

Meanwhile, here's my Ume. I've posted it on other threads, but I don't think I've put it on this one:

image.jpeg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yes sir it is the same tree. Some of the trunk was below the surface and the rest of it stretched itself out as the trop growth was allowed to develop while being continuously cut back. As the top gained girth the knuckle began to be overcome/ absorbed or over grown by the continuing growth above it.
Love the Ume, it's really beautiful and the pot fits it as well.

Japanes Maple I have had since 1994, the only piece of raw stock I have paid more than $50 for.
ChiMaple2005B.jpg

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Everyone's trees are vastly improving! Imagine how the trees will look in 10+ years..awesome. To me, that's what bonsai is about..the further view down the road.

This is a ficus I sold for a charity cause. I asked the buyer to contact me, if she planned selling the tree. She did (changing hobbies) and I bought it back for the initial price. :)

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Leatherback, lovely image....no idea what species, but guessing its a Ginko!

Some may recognize my Field Elm/Ulmus campestre as its been shown in other threads....ive been tweaking it and im going to tilt it to the right at the next repot and move it further right also, it has a few fronts...but this is one of my favourite angles, currently.
54ffd111-cb1e-411c-bcf4-bf2bd5708582.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leatherback, lovely image....no idea what species, but guessing its a Ginko!
Thx bobbylane. It is actually a physiocarpus Opiliufolius, or ninebark. About the same developmental stage as yours, but yours looks so much more mature :(

Last years' deshojo airlayer.
bonsaiweb_20150530_81.jpg

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are all amazing trees! It is such a joy to have found a place where people enjoy their trees so much. Since my profile say seedling, here is a photo of some Ponderosa seedlings from the Okanagan.

Attachments

• IMG_20160221_080600_edit.jpg
    IMG_20160221_080600_edit.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 24

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I repotted my Yatsubusa Chinese Elm in a much more narrow and deeper pot to bury the reverse taper. Sergio Cuan named my elm Mountain with Trees. On the left, there is a forest, at the top is a very large elm, and on the right, a clump of elms and some scrub trees. The trunk is the mountain.

ul ulmus parvifolia yatsubusa 2-23-16_HDR2.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a

Itoigawa from Don.

Shit! Sweet tree, Mach!DSCF3410.jpg

Top Bottom