The 2024 Yamadori/Collecting Thread

This is the conclusion I have accepted also. There are some things in life that require you to experience for yourself. To do it on your own is more valuable, sometimes, than anything you can be taught. Because even great teachers will fail with students who don't want to listen/learn. I've seen in other threads that you and @Hartinez have been yamadori hunting together. Are there any threads that you recommend for a noob that would be the most instructional in the procurement of yamadori?
Actually hartinez and I have never met in person, though we do live in the same sort of climate.

Frankly this thread is your best bet.
A couple pointers on digging:
When you're planting a tree from the nursery they say to dig the hole twice the dimensions as the root ball. Think of that but in reverse. Imagine how big the pot would be if you found this tree in the garden center, and double it.
If you're in Rocky terrain, though, all bets are off, especially if it's also dry. Some species more than others, of course, especially conifers, but in those conditions trees often send out long running roots deep in between the rocks. Many won't survive collection under those circumstances.
Be judicious. Look at the root situation first, and be prepared to quit and fill in the hole if you find you can't get enough root. Better to have cool tree in nature than a dead tree in a pot.

Several years ago I went into the mountains to find a permanent Christmas tree. I found the perfect Piñon, dug it up, kept as much rocky soil as was feasible, brought it home and put it in the ground. Beautiful tree with picturesque form, deep green and healthy. It seemed as if it really wanted to be in its new home for months. I dug it December 2, and somewhere around early May, I noticed the color fading. A week later it was brown and crispy.
I know, now, that it was the wrong time of year for collecting. So I've decided to learn proper care of the genera/species of the trees I'm most interested in before taking any more trees from where they are happy and healthy. If they survive collection, I still need to know how to help them thrive after I bring them home. I agree that a living tree in the wild is better than a pretty dead stick in a pot.

Did a lunch time trek into the marsh with zero intention to collect. I was out there to check on the trail repair work. Spotted a couple small BCs that had been taken down by beavers. Those trees were dying so I dug them up. I hope they survive,
View attachment 561825View attachment 561826
Budding

I might group all the beaver rescues together for another forest.
IMG_3307.jpeg

Today’s loot
Live oak
View attachment 530140

Bald cypress
View attachment 530141

Easter red cedar
View attachment 530142
Progress report:
1. Live oak is thriving
2. BC is thriving.
3. ERC was put in the trash can yesterday afternoon. Although I preserved most of the roots and potted as best I could and gave it due care, it struggled mightily. In the end I dumped it because I don't like dealing with the prickly young leaves.

Funny you should post a pic of a button bush. I found one a couple of days ago on the edge of a cow pasture that had been "pruned" by a bush hog several times. The canopy was about 30" high and 30" around. I poked my walking stick under the foliage and felt a STUMP. That stump was probably 6" across but maybe composed of 2-3 fused trunks. It'll probably come home with me in Feb. '25.

ERC with taper and movement?
It's 1.5" in diameter at the bottom and 28" tall...
View attachment 565496
They seem to respond well to heavy wiring. There's quite a bit of foliage there to maybe wire and compress down into a more compact tree. It will probably give you juvenile foliage in spades. I don't really mind it, but some do.

Back
Top Bottom