The 2024 Yamadori/Collecting Thread

I've been poring over the yamadori threads, and I have yet to find an instructional thread directing hunters where they can find various genus/species.
For example, what altitude? What type of soil? In a canyon? Near a water source? Growing in/near a cluster of the same species or solitary?
If there is an existing thread that someone knows about, please let me know. I realize that some of this can be found from various online sources, but if it is compiled in one place, it would help us who don't have the experience.
Otherwise, I will just put this information in the thread I hope to start this winter or spring when I make my first yamadori trip.
You just have to get out there and learn what species are native/naturalized to your region. Reading up on it ahead of time can help. You can then research particular species to learn more than just your initial observations.

You don't collect yamadori just because it's yamadori. It's like big game hunting; only works out for those who spend their time out in the sticks anyway, but also sometimes for those who can afford to hire someone who does. There's no easy way through it.

You just have to get out there and learn what species are native/naturalized to your region. There's no easy way through it.
This is the conclusion I have accepted also. There are some things in life that require you to experience for yourself. To do it on your own is more valuable, sometimes, than anything you can be taught. Because even great teachers will fail with students who don't want to listen/learn. I've seen in other threads that you and @Hartinez have been yamadori hunting together. Are there any threads that you recommend for a noob that would be the most instructional in the procurement of yamadori?

Did a lunch time trek into the marsh with zero intention to collect. I was out there to check on the trail repair work. Spotted a couple small BCs that had been taken down by beavers. Those trees were dying so I dug them up. I hope they survive,
IMG_3238.jpegIMG_3237.jpeg

Did a lunch time trek into the marsh with zero intention to collect. I was out there to check on the trail repair work. Spotted a couple small BCs that had been taken down by beavers. Those trees were dying so I dug them up. I hope they survive,
View attachment 561825View attachment 561826
Between hurricanes that snapped one of them and beavers. These trees have had a tough go.IMG_3240.jpegIMG_3241.jpegIMG_3242.jpegIMG_3243.jpeg

Just heard one of my collecting spots on the front range, Colorado has burned. Tree saviors is right sometimes
I'm wondering if really old scorch scars would be good areas to find yamadori. I remember Yellowstone in 1991, 3 years after the huge fire season of 1988. The charred hillsides looked like they were completely covered with grass from a distance, but as we got closer, tens of thousands of saplings, growing so close together you almost couldn't differentiate them. I suppose some of them might be beautifully stunted miniatures by now.

Quercus fusiformis collected this spring. Not quite as vigorous as the post oak but it’s coming alone nicely. I’ll shorten the small trunk eventually but I wanted to let it recover for now.
View attachment 561605
Great get on this one. Not enough fusiformis in bonsai training. Great species to work with!

I've been poring over the yamadori threads, and I have yet to find an instructional thread directing hunters where they can find various genus/species.
For example, what altitude? What type of soil? In a canyon? Near a water source? Growing in/near a cluster of the same species or solitary?
If there is an existing thread that someone knows about, please let me know. I realize that some of this can be found from various online sources, but if it is compiled in one place, it would help us who don't have the experience.
Otherwise, I will just put this information in the thread I hope to start this winter or spring when I make my first yamadori trip.
As said previously, finding decent trees worth collecting is exactly like scouting for hunting animals. It really helps to understand the local conditions that produce decent "yamadori" material. It isn't necessarily a function of altitude (although that can help if you're looking for conifers), etc. It can be a function of available water. Bottom line It's knowing where certain species grow and local conditions. I've found really good collectible trees in old cul-de-sacs on overgrown property, where local teenagers run their trucks over trees, etc. smashing trunks. Ive found them on old abandon plantation properties, where landscaping plants have gone wild.

Determine WHAT you want to look for, conifers prefer different locations than deciduous trees. Be able to identify tree species on sight in the wild. Get a tree species guide and know what's in your area. Carry it with you when you're looking. Research likely species BEFORE you collect them. Don't dig something up and then ask "What do I do now?" That's a recipe for a dead tree.

As with hunting deer/turkey/whatever game animal, it is IMPERATIVE you get permission from the landowner to be on the land and have explicit permission to dig up trees. Determining who owns the land and asking the right people is one of the hardest things in collecting trees. Doesn't matter if you found a spectacular tree while out scouting. You can't just take it because you want it. Not getting permission is not only theft and trespassing, but can reflect badly on other bonsai collectors who may find they've been banned from collecting because of others who have just taken what they wanted, damaged property etc. in the process.

Collecting takes some legwork on the ground and in research understanding the species you're looking at. One of the best entrances to collecting is to hook up with a local bonsai club and ask around, or participate in club collecting trips that have been pre-arranged with landowners. Many clubs do those kinds of activities. Worth asking. In asking you also might get connections to club members who have collected trees they're looking to sell.

As said previously, finding decent trees worth collecting is exactly like scouting for hunting animals. It really helps to understand the local conditions that produce decent "yamadori" material. It isn't necessarily a function of altitude (although that can help if you're looking for conifers), etc. It can be a function of available water. Bottom line It's knowing where certain species grow and local conditions. I've found really good collectible trees in old cul-de-sacs on overgrown property, where local teenagers run their trucks over trees, etc. smashing trunks. Ive found them on old abandon plantation properties, where landscaping plants have gone wild.

Determine WHAT you want to look for, conifers prefer different locations than deciduous trees. Be able to identify tree species on sight in the wild. Get a tree species guide and know what's in your area. Carry it with you when you're looking. Research likely species BEFORE you collect them. Don't dig something up and then ask "What do I do now?" That's a recipe for a dead tree.

As with hunting deer/turkey/whatever game animal, it is IMPERATIVE you get permission from the landowner to be on the land and have explicit permission to dig up trees. Determining who owns the land and asking the right people is one of the hardest things in collecting trees. Doesn't matter if you found a spectacular tree while out scouting. You can't just take it because you want it. Not getting permission is not only theft and trespassing, but can reflect badly on other bonsai collectors who may find they've been banned from collecting because of others who have just taken what they wanted, damaged property etc. in the process.

Collecting takes some legwork on the ground and in research understanding the species you're looking at. One of the best entrances to collecting is to hook up with a local bonsai club and ask around, or participate in club collecting trips that have been pre-arranged with landowners. Many clubs do those kinds of activities. Worth asking. In asking you also might get connections to club members who have collected trees they're looking to sell.
Totally agree. I couldn’t have said it any better.

Regarding finding property owners and contacting for permission - I believe @mattspinniken uses a hunting app - so good analogy!

onX Hunt if I remember correctly.

The collected persimmon's growth has been pretty stagnant this summer, and it's recently decided to drop most of its new leaves. I've moved it to get a bit more sun to hopefully reinvigorate it, and it's clearly still green and the trunk has green buds that look like they could pop at any time.

Hopefully at worst it simply flushes out next spring, but it's hard to say.

1000005806.jpg1000005805.jpg

Back
Top Bottom