The 2024 Yamadori/Collecting Thread

The cheat codes are google earth and topo maps. Nothing beats boots on the ground though
There is another cheat code: Guided yamadori hunt by collection professionals or by bonsai clubs. The pros already do the boot on the ground work, you just have to pay for it.

There's also the instructional classes on the Bonsai Empire site. I think I'll be taking one or two of those relatively soon. Though, I'm not sure if he covers collection or not.... hmm.
I've taken several classes from there and found them very informative and easy to follow...

I went to the river, found a BC that looked stunted with a very sparse top, I cut around the bottom but found few roots except for a BIG tap root. So I tied a rope around the trunk and pulled it with my truck, hoping to lean the tree over and cut the big tap root. I barely pulled the tree and it snapped right away. I wound up with a stump with barely any root and the main root severed. I haven't examined the root yet, but I suspect some insects bored into it. With that the tree is not likely to survive.

I went back to join my friends for lunch. They were doing fish fry and catfish court bouillon. All is alright in my simple world.
It has been 4 weeks yet there is no living sign at the top. No bud and everything is drying out. The waiting game continue for the big fellow.

Collected a small Subalpine Fir on 3 July 2024.
  • [6 July 2024] As you can see in this first photo, this tree was collected at a non-ideal time (as evidenced by the new growth tips). Ideal time is to collect in Spring before new growth; next ideal is in the fall after new growth has hardened off but with time before first frost. The way to mitigate this risk is to get as many roots with dirt still attached as possible. In the photo, you can a huge root ball, which made this thing weight 50+ pounds. But, that's the only way I am going to risk collecting during a risky time.
1722889351673.jpeg
  • [8 July 2024] The second photo shows the tree in it's grow box, under a 100% shade cloth. After two weeks, I transitioned it to 30% shade cloth. To the left of this tree, you can see a small Subalpine Fir I collected last year. That one was collected in a similar situation: out of peak season, but with a massive root ball. I repotted it this Spring, and it has back budded everywhere and has a really health dark green color. For a year-over-year comparison, here's a photo of that tree from one year ago, just a few days after collection (11 July 2023).
1722889467427.jpeg

1722889444071.jpeg
  • [5 August 2024] Finally, here is a photo from today (of the larger, most recently collected tree). The new buds have transitioned to a darker green color and have hardened off. There has been no branch or needle die off, and the tree looks very healthy overall. The plan is to do a twin trunk + informal upright design, but for the next 1-2 years the focus will be on maintaining tree health and light pruning to allow sunlight to hit lower branches I want to keep.
1722889650120.jpeg

Me too! I've got 4 Siberian Elms picked out for this winter, but if they start clearing the empty lot before then, I'll be forced to try an off-season collection.
Siberian elm can take collection almost anytime of the year. If you are worried about them clearing the pot, just go for it.

Does anyone ever make Yamadori from trees damaged by nature? I found a Honeysuckle tree that had been blown over (or something disastrous) right at ground level.

It's about a three to four inch diameter and still very much alive even though it's being fed by a small number of roots.View attachment 561132View attachment 561133

Thing is... it's not real attractive right now, actually very boring, having only one branch below where I would cut it.

I think it could have potential but I have no experience. I'd love to have a few experienced eyes take a look.
Wouldn't surprise me if that were a branch that had broken off of a tree and rooted where it fell honestly, honeysuckle are bulletproof

Does anyone ever make Yamadori from trees damaged by nature? I found a Honeysuckle tree that had been blown over (or something disastrous) right at ground level.

It's about a three to four inch diameter and still very much alive even though it's being fed by a small number of roots.View attachment 561132View attachment 561133

Thing is... it's not real attractive right now, actually very boring, having only one branch below where I would cut it.

I think it could have potential but I have no experience. I'd love to have a few experienced eyes take a look.
This would be a great raft style tree. You could cut it to the desired length now and let it keep growing in the ground, or rescue it if you’re afraid of it rotting

This would be a great raft style tree. You could cut it to the desired length now and let it keep growing in the ground, or rescue it if you’re afraid of it rotting
I was actually thinking about cutting it now to see how it develops on it's own until early spring. 👍

Collected a small Subalpine Fir on 3 July 2024.
  • [6 July 2024] As you can see in this first photo, this tree was collected at a non-ideal time (as evidenced by the new growth tips). Ideal time is to collect in Spring before new growth; next ideal is in the fall after new growth has hardened off but with time before first frost. The way to mitigate this risk is to get as many roots with dirt still attached as possible. In the photo, you can a huge root ball, which made this thing weight 50+ pounds. But, that's the only way I am going to risk collecting during a risky time.
View attachment 561346
  • [8 July 2024] The second photo shows the tree in it's grow box, under a 100% shade cloth. After two weeks, I transitioned it to 30% shade cloth. To the left of this tree, you can see a small Subalpine Fir I collected last year. That one was collected in a similar situation: out of peak season, but with a massive root ball. I repotted it this Spring, and it has back budded everywhere and has a really health dark green color. For a year-over-year comparison, here's a photo of that tree from one year ago, just a few days after collection (11 July 2023).
View attachment 561348

View attachment 561347
  • [5 August 2024] Finally, here is a photo from today (of the larger, most recently collected tree). The new buds have transitioned to a darker green color and have hardened off. There has been no branch or needle die off, and the tree looks very healthy overall. The plan is to do a twin trunk + informal upright design, but for the next 1-2 years the focus will be on maintaining tree health and light pruning to allow sunlight to hit lower branches I want to keep.
View attachment 561349
Very cool.

View attachment 561534
Quercus stellata collected in west central Texas this April. The new growth has large leaves at the moment but it had relatively small leaves for an oak so I think it’ll reduce nicely.
Wow. Very nice. Good luck with it. Looks like it's off to a good start

Back
Top Bottom