Sargent Juniper Seedling

So here is a long overdue update on this Juniper.

Year 2 of 40 @sorce or year 2 of 50 @Anthony ;)

So I have pretty much left it to develop on its own and grow. I have only cleared of some of the lowest branches as those are the ones that are definitely not needed. It is being fed like crazy and all things considering, the growth is doing well for 2 yrs. The foliage is very healthy and loads of new buds forming all around the trunk.

IMG_4716.JPG
IMG_4717.JPG IMG_4719.JPG

Right now my only concern is this branch that is developing here in the middle of the picture. It looks like it is creating a bulge there and I am wondering if I should remove it now and let new buds develop there. I do not want any problems down the line with incorrect taper happening on the trunk. Should I remove it? Thoughts on if I am still heading in the right direction?
IMG_4718.JPG

Let it grow as wild as possible. After all Junipers are noted for their rugged individualistic appearance. Some how, at least in the way I look at things, Junipers do not look so good when forced into a mold. It is kind of like trying to train cats. Let the tree have its head and grow and get fat. Find something else to work on and let this one grow and grow and grow. Then if you don't get adult growth it is like the lemonade argument.

Let it grow as wild as possible. After all Junipers are noted for their rugged individualistic appearance. Some how, at least in the way I look at things, Junipers do not look so good when forced into a mold. It is kind of like trying to train cats. Let the tree have its head and grow and get fat. Find something else to work on and let this one grow and grow and grow. Then if you don't get adult growth it is like the lemonade argument.
Thanks Vance

That is what I am going to do. Appreciate the feedback

Suggestion: If indeed the tree is Shimpaku and they are so scarce where you live any time you cut the tree take cuttings from the clippings. They root reasonable well.

Grew well!
Hmm this thread makes me doubt a little juni i have is a squamata tag said only juniperus it looks very similair to this one

While it's young get some wire on it. Here's a cheapo Lowe's sargents I did some adjusting to yesterday. I do agree better material makes better trees, but I can't help my self from constantly looking thru the box store shrubs and making impulse buys1016171520.jpg

Here's another one same deal. Wire young then grow out. These will hit the ground next spring for a few years. Should be pretty cool in about 51017171804.jpg

Here's another one same deal. Wire young then grow out. These will hit the ground next spring for a few years. Should be pretty cool in about 5View attachment 164220
Hi Soldano

I am looking to grow a formal upright on this. This is what my final idea is.

12239758_501711136676658_8183367452881189258_n.jpg

Definitely agree with wiring Junipers early though to get as much movement as possible but right now, this just has to grow straight up and thicken up.

Thanks for the feedback though. Appreciate it

Following is a series of photos of a Shimpaku I started working on the summer before last. I have included a couple of photos showing the foliage detail. This is a Kishu Shimpaku, I believe the Chinese Juniper in the opening of this thread may be Sargents but not Shimpaku. These trees seem to go adult foliage pretty quick and almost never revert, even from cuttings.

The tree is just in the beginnings of development but I figure in another two maybe three years I will be showing it.

DSC_0027.JPG DSC_0036 copy.JPG DSC_0037.JPG DSC_0042.JPG

Following is a series of photos of a Shimpaku I started working on the summer before last. I have included a couple of photos showing the foliage detail. This is a Kishu Shimpaku, I believe the Chinese Juniper in the opening of this thread may be Sargents but not Shimpaku. These trees seem to go adult foliage pretty quick and almost never revert, even from cuttings.

The tree is just in the beginnings of development but I figure in another two maybe three years I will be showing it.

View attachment 164381 View attachment 164382 View attachment 164383 View attachment 164384
Thanks Vance

Back
Top Bottom