Sargent Juniper first full style

Jbyrd8228

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I'm new here and new to bonsai. I'm a few months in to my journey and I love it so far. I have been watching Mr. Peter Chan to try to get some basic knowledge. Anyway I got a Sergeant Juniper from a store and decide it was time to do my first from scratch bonsai. Don't know how I did but would like some feed back Please. I know that it is going to be a while before it fills in and I get what I hope for out of it. Any opinions will be greatly
appreciated.
IMG_0754.JPGIMG_0791.JPG

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Great first try. The wiring appears neat and looks like it is effective which is better than many first tries.
As far as style I find myself questioning why one half grows up and the other half down. A good bonsai should tell the viewer a story of it's life or place in nature. My mind is asking where did this tree grow in nature? What is it's story? If it grows on a high mountain with regular snow, avalanche and katabatic wind it's likely the growth will mostly be downward. In a slightly less hostile area growth is more likely to be upward as most trees are strongly apical dominant but it would be very rare to see both cascade and upright growth on a single tree.
From a horticultural point of view I think you are likely to have some problems with both upright and cascade on one tree. Apical dominance will make the upper part grow stronger and quicker while the cascade section is almost certain to get weaker unless you selectively trim very carefully.

You may have had to take off most of the inner branches - too long, too weak, etc - but it seems to pay to keep some of them as junipers don't always back bud along bare branches which may mean those open areas won't fill in for a very long time, if ever.

The main trunk has some great bends but the smaller branches are still very straight, even those with wire on. I would consider putting some bends into those branches to match the shapes in the trunk.

For now the tree has probably had enough of a scare. Best to let it alone for a few weeks at least to get over the initial trauma before doing more work.

Jbyrd8228

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great first try. The wiring appears neat and looks like it is effective which is better than many first tries.
As far as style I find myself questioning why one half grows up and the other half down. A good bonsai should tell the viewer a story of it's life or place in nature. My mind is asking where did this tree grow in nature? What is it's story? If it grows on a high mountain with regular snow, avalanche and katabatic wind it's likely the growth will mostly be downward. In a slightly less hostile area growth is more likely to be upward as most trees are strongly apical dominant but it would be very rare to see both cascade and upright growth on a single tree.
From a horticultural point of view I think you are likely to have some problems with both upright and cascade on one tree. Apical dominance will make the upper part grow stronger and quicker while the cascade section is almost certain to get weaker unless you selectively trim very carefully.

You may have had to take off most of the inner branches - too long, too weak, etc - but it seems to pay to keep some of them as junipers don't always back bud along bare branches which may mean those open areas won't fill in for a very long time, if ever.

The main trunk has some great bends but the smaller branches are still very straight, even those with wire on. I would consider putting some bends into those branches to match the shapes in the trunk.

For now the tree has probably had enough of a scare. Best to let it alone for a few weeks at least to get over the initial trauma before doing more work.
Thank you for you advice. My plan is to use the top for an apex let it bud back and reduce the size. However I was unaware that junipers did not bud back easily. If it does not bud back well I will probably have to change my plan for this little guy.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like you’re on the right path. There is never an end to what you can learn in bonsai so just keep going and progress is guaranteed as long as you don’t give up. I started a few years ago because of Peter Chan and I love him and his videos. A lot of people have negative attitudes about him because of his style of simplifying everything but that is how my brain thinks too. Like I said there is no end to how complex one can make bonsai and you will learn that with time but Peter is still my favorite bonsai teacher.

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree it was good work for your first attempt. Mine was far worse. You definitely have been way more aggressive than I allow myself to be both in a large reduction, repot, and wiring all at the same time. However with young vigorous nursery material this will likely be ok. Due to that I think you have a good chance to get some back budding but time will tell. I agree with Shibui that the upward and cascade design are fighting each other. I would likely remove the downward cascade portion but keep the rest of the branch as your first branch. Lastly it’s too late now but in the future is you want to add some “age” to a young plant keep some of the branches you remove but strip the bark to make some jins.

IMG_5007.jpeg
I would make that cut at the red line if it were my tree.

Top Bottom