R.I.P. Paul Katich - Bellota Pottery

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here is one I bought from Paul himself in Nashville a few years ago. I gifted it to a good friend, who used it as an accent plant for a show in Chicago last year.
20170615_074422.jpg

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I must say I feel very fortunate to have met your father and he will be missed in our community both as a person and as an advocate for all things bonsai.. When I met him, we only chatted for about an hour but he showed a genuine interest in the subject matter and my point of view. That short interaction had left me with a lasting positive impression of him and his work. However, it was not until I read his obituary that it really hit home. You see I'm very close to his age (59), I also grew up in Pittsburgh and was stationed in England from 1977 through 1979. Heck, we may have even crossed paths in the past but never knew it. I'm sure our conversation would have lasted even longer had we known the commonality between us. Again, he will be missed.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was fortunate to get to know Paul and Norine over a Joy of Bonsai weekend in '16. Both were very kind people, taking the time to get to know me and Paul sharing a wealth of knowledge on making containers and the business of selling them. I was thrilled when he agreed to trade a pot with me as I had recently seen his prize winning pots at the National Collection and had always wanted to meet him. Norine too, she couldn't have been sweeter and more open, really taking time out to make me feel comfortable there. Wonderful folks, I'm sad and sorry for the loss. Below is a photo of us with the pots we traded. My Bellota pot is of yet un-planted, and is on my personal collection shelf with my other favorites. RIP Paul Katich, the lessons you shared will live on as long as I make containers. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

Attachments

• 12549023_1738032983097106_5958105915033901217_n.jpg
    12549023_1738032983097106_5958105915033901217_n.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 28

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Kristina, @pjkatich's daughter We are so sorry to hear of this. Your father was someone that I always enjoyed talking to. He was a valued member here and he will be greatly missed as a friend and an artist. If you care to, come back when things settle down and share a story or two with us. I've found it helps everyone and honors the person we will all miss. Best wishes and thank you for stopping by.

Top Bottom