Pumice - east coast resource?

RobGA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The Atlanta Bonsai Society is having a dirt sale. Pickup this Saturday. Here is the link. Don’t believe you have to be a member. Not sure on prices, look reasonable.

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
hey guys don't know where else to put my questions...
watched some yamadori videos and the guy planted all his trees in 100% pumice??
is pumice just stone or does it have any nutritional value?? sorry but i have never seen or felt it??
i plant most of my trees with a lot of stone - especially the layer at the bottom of the pot...
why would pumice be better than normal stone ?

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
hey guys don't know where else to put my questions...
watched some yamadori videos and the guy planted all his trees in 100% pumice??
is pumice just stone or does it have any nutritional value?? sorry but i have never seen or felt it??
i plant most of my trees with a lot of stone - especially the layer at the bottom of the pot...
why would pumice be better than normal stone ?
It's volcanic, and very porous. Holds a good amount of moisture while being very fast draining and giving great gas exchange.

Magnified photo from Google images:

1000003187.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's volcanic, and very porous. Holds a good amount of moisture while being very fast draining and giving great gas exchange.
Just adding to this. I used 100% pumice on many of my trees on the west coast. It stays moist without staying wet - particularly when you are dealing with extreme heat, low humidity, hot winds, and having to water more than once per day.

As an example, if you happened to live in Phoenix and were keeping your trees in a heavy organic mix, by the time you watered enough to stay up with evaporation, the inside of your rootball would be saturated while the outside of your soil was bone dry. You'd be getting root rot while your tree was showing signs of heat stress and lack of water.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Badatusernames, how much pumice do you need? Are we talking gallons or cu yds?
I'm in SW Oregon where pumice is readily available. PM me and we'll talk about getting it to you. I can send sifted pumice, no sand or dust, all usable product. Don't want to say too much, but on the cheap to you. PM for details

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A local store (5th season gardening) sells large bags of pumice for very reasonable price. They also have lava rock/pumice/akadama and turface.

Top Bottom