east coaster looking for a palette of pumice

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Dry Stall is great. I've got all of my trees in a pure Dry Stall soil. I just sift out the smaller particles.

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
the stall dry or drystall whichever one is the larger crumbles has worked for me.

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Soil

If you guys are looking for bulk material you are more than welcome to piggyback my next order. It will be FOB Ft Myers. You would have to pool together for a 15 yard order. The cost is $125 per yard and it is unsifted, 3/8ths down to dust. The product will yield 55 percent of 1/8th to 3/8ths material. That equates to $250 per yard of finished material or $1.23 per gallon of premium product. one yard is 202 gallons or 27 cubic feet. 15 yards will yield 7.5 yards or more of 1/8th to 3/8th. We can also bag and screen for an additional fee.

We are a small operation so screening and bagging that much material in one order will require a good lead time.

I will be placing a new order before year end.

Thanks
Jack

Jack, first of all it was very nice to meet you and your wife. Ernie and I were pleasantly surprised about your professional set up and handling. The soil components we bought were all nicely sifted and very clean! Particle size was exact, which is very important to me. Looking forward to do business with you! Please let me know when you are ready to sell the calcinated clay we talked about. That's some great stuff.

Best,
Dorothy

fore

Omono
Reaction score
About this size:
View attachment 45133

It's great for feeder roots:
View attachment 45134

However, I do lose quite a bit when sifting, like with turface.

That's about the size I was able to find a small supply here last winter. I still works great as a pumice, but does retain water more, and there's no size variability for decreased air exchange.
Still, my healthiest trees were planted in 100% of this.

tom tynan

Mame
Reaction score
The pumice used by Randy Knight is coarser and larger than the product offered by Dry Stall. Randy's pumice is anywhere from 1/4" to 3/8" diameter. At least 1/3 or 1/2 of the Dry Stall bag will be sifted and removed. It passes easily thru an 1/8" screen. You need to wash the sifted Dry Stall as well - as it has too much dust. Wash it several times until the water runs clear.

Dry Stall particles by themselves are a little on the small size. Bags of Dry Stall are available in50lb. size. I like to mix the drystall with some horticultural charcoal and akadama or black lava.

I would assume that the geology of Oregon (volcanoes etc.) makes the pumice readily available out there. In my opinion the pumice used by Randy and the other Oregon guys is a superior product. Better than Dry Stall as well. That said - Dry Stall is probably the next best thing to try to use. Good Luck...Tom Tynan

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
i spoke with the owner today and he had good news, he said he would be willing and able to ship bulk freight, he sells hundreds of tons of substrate a year so this would be a cake walk for him. He said that he would piggy back on his other shipments, so its completely possible and his prices are very competitive.

He also said that although he doesn't currently have it in stock, he is most possibly getting pumice and black lava specifically for soil purposes, so that is something you could purchase if you would like to as well.

He asked me a few things to clarify with you before he gets the pumice and black lava,

how much would you be looking to purchase and what size particles we want? For example, He sells lava, clean 1/4 inch and below, which is minus the fines and you get ninety five percent product that's usable, that is 395 a ton, with shipping being minimal anywhere on the east coast. Tell me your address and I'll tell you the shipping costs. The pumice would be cheaper, and a ton would go a long way and would be quite a lot of pumice since it is so much less dense.

He also wanted to see how we would like it bagged, either fifty pounds bags or 1 ton bulk bags.

So we have some options with him and he is a good kind guy and very fairly priced with a huge setup. We could ask for 1 ton bags of 3/16 inch and below, clean, so minus the fines, how does that sound to people? Also who would just drive and pick it up in north Jersey and who would get it delivered?

Another option would be lava and pumice mixed, sieved to whatever size we want and below, minus the fines.

So tell me what you think, i think this does sound quite promising, this is already where i buy my high fired clay and lava, and they are really great.

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
If you dont mind me asking, which supplier did you call. I would love to get some in Colorado

BonsaiJack

Sapling
Reaction score
Likewise Dorothy. It was great meeting a fit couple who appreciated a "real" 1/4 aggregate. I trust the pumice was to your standards. We have spent the better part of a year refining our screening/sourcing process to ensure the optimal stone size.

I am still working on the "Bonsai Block" material. I cannot wait until it is released. It has the benefits of Lava and Turface rolled into one. A material that will not break down, has a real 1/4 inch size, is Ph neutral, and has a 22 percent water retention rate. A premium "akadama" if you will.

I look forward to see you guys again.

Thanks
Jack

Jack, first of all it was very nice to meet you and your wife. Ernie and I were pleasantly surprised about your professional set up and handling. The soil components we bought were all nicely sifted and very clean! Particle size was exact, which is very important to me. Looking forward to do business with you! Please let me know when you are ready to sell the calcinated clay we talked about. That's some great stuff.

Best,
Dorothy

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Likewise Dorothy. It was great meeting a fit couple who appreciated a "real" 1/4 aggregate. I trust the pumice was to your standards. We have spent the better part of a year refining our screening/sourcing process to ensure the optimal stone size.

I am still working on the "Bonsai Block" material. I cannot wait until it is released. It has the benefits of Lava and Turface rolled into one. A material that will not break down, has a real 1/4 inch size, is Ph neutral, and has a 22 percent water retention rate. A premium "akadama" if you will.

I look forward to see you guys again.

Thanks
Jack

Your prices look entirely fair. Looking forward to figuring out what this "Bonsai Block" is.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i spoke with the owner today and he had good news, he said he would be willing and able to ship bulk freight, he sells hundreds of tons of substrate a year so this would be a cake walk for him. He said that he would piggy back on his other shipments, so its completely possible and his prices are very competitive.

how much would you be looking to purchase and what size particles we want? For example, He sells lava, clean 1/4 inch and below, which is minus the fines and you get ninety five percent product that's usable, that is 395 a ton, with shipping being minimal anywhere on the east coast.

I'm curious as to what "minimal" means...for example, to ship to the Rochester, NY area.

Are you working with someone in NJ who would be shipping from there, or a supplier out west who would be shipping direct from the source? Sounds like the former but not clear from what you've written.

I'm looking for pumice but much less than a ton...so I don't know if that would be possible or cost effective. I might be able to find others locally who would be interested but still most likely well less than a ton.

Chris

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
So to clarify, I'm working with someone from NJ who is shipping from NJ. I have bought and sold high fired clay, lava rock, milled peat, and expanded shale with him, but pumice is new to both of us, so he asked me to gauge demand and see what kind was in demand (an example of a kind would be 1/4" clean), which was why I posted the questions in my last post.

Also coh, I am looking for at least half a ton a year, so if we split a ton for now, that works on my end

If anyone else in our area is interested in having pumice DELIVERED to them in the 300/400 dollar range for 410 gallon, so around $1 A GALLON, LET ME KNOW. WITH THIS INFO I CAN TELL HIM WHAT TO ORDER FOR THE NEXT FEW MONTHS.

(just to let you know, I didn't highlight those words to be a dick, but I notice and am guilty of skimming through posts that don't have a craggy old bonsai in em)

For particle size, I was thinking 1/4" and under or maybe 3/16" and under, cleaned, sound right???

BonsaiJack

Sapling
Reaction score
One ton of industrial bulk 3/8th pumice will yield about .80 yards or 160 gallons of 1/8th to 3/8ths material. One ton of material does not contain 2 yards to begin with let alone screened.

Using this for my calculations, 1 ton of pumice, if clean, should yield just around 2 yards of usable material.

http://www.aqua-calc.com/page/density-table/substance/pumice-coma-and-blank-stone

dkraft81, I'm working for/with the supplier, so you can contact me and we can work it out. Just PM me if your interested.

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sorry I thought this was coming from the west coast. Ill hold off for now then.

There are supplies on the west coast but I'm not sure if there are any close to you.....a quick goggle gave us two supplies here in BC Canada.....
Good luck.
G.

Top Bottom