Pumice - east coast resource?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm starting to realize I'm going to need a boatload of pumice for some of my plans. I've ordered from a place on the west coast before, but obviously that's a lot of weight to transport cross-country.

I'm curious if anyone can recommend resources on the east coast to get bulk, "small" size pumice (in terms of Akadama sizing)?

Thanks for any help!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm starting to realize I'm going to need a boatload of pumice for some of my plans. I've ordered from a place on the west coast before, but obviously that's a lot of weight to transport cross-country.

I'm curious if anyone can recommend resources on the east coast to get bulk, "small" size pumice (in terms of Akadama sizing)?

Thanks for any help!

Unfortunately east coast sources of pumice are rare to nonexistent.

I've purchased bags of pumice and lava from Home Depot. A little bit higher price than I've gotten purchasing at shows but it was a guaranteed delivery. Soil supply at shows is usually limited and sells out fast. Not sure how it compares to Bonsai Jack prices though. So calculate that as well.

Also not bulk. I think the only east source in bulk is Bonsai Jack. The cost of transportation can double the price though.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We don't have any volcanic soils, to my knowledge, so it all has to be imported from out west. If you're buying it locally, the vendor paid for shipping and passed the cost onto you.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think I’m gonna try ordering from here:

For next year’s repots. No idea the quality, but I’ve seen this site shared around elsewhere and they offer a free shipping option.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
We don't have any volcanic soils, to my knowledge, so it all has to be imported from out west. If you're buying it locally, the vendor paid for shipping and passed the cost onto you.
Good point.

I’ve been using Scenic Hill Farm in the PNW.

I’ve had really good results with fast growth on beautyberry cuttings, but the roots expanded so quickly it was hard to get water into them. I want to do a bunch in pumice/soil mix to help with drainage…

For the record, this is growing so fast I wouldn’t be surprised to have something to start futzing with in 2 more years. They feel very approachable for growing from cutting. I’m waiting to hear from someone what Koji Hiramstsu uses as a hormone to get branching and fruit closer into the trunk, that seems to be the real kicker for these.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just ordered on Amazon. 3 gallons for $30 from a company called General Pumice Products. Looked 'em up and looks like a legit company that owns two quarries in California. Have to be careful ordering from Amazon. Thought it might have been mined out from under an old battery factory in China 😳

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think I’m gonna try ordering from here:

For next year’s repots. No idea the quality, but I’ve seen this site shared around elsewhere and they offer a free shipping option.
As an FYI the free shipping is 1/2 cuF for $32. I paid $38 for their 1 cuF shipped to TX. Free shipping is not really “free”, hopefully not to late…

RobGA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just ordered on Amazon. 3 gallons for $30 from a company called General Pumice Products. Looked 'em up and looks like a legit company that owns two quarries in California. Have to be careful ordering from Amazon. Thought it might have been mined out from under an old battery factory in China 😳
Let us know the quality once you get it.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Let us know the quality once you get it.
I have used this company for several years, excellent product. If you order directly from the company free shipping. Sign up for emails and receive discounts too.
I purchased half a pallet last year.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I have used this company for several years, excellent product. If you order directly from the company free shipping. Sign up for emails and receive discounts too.
I purchased half a pallet last year.

Kalebh

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
With the free shipping technically the 1/2 cubic foot on buildasoil is the better value. This is the best deal I have found out there, if anyone finds a better one please let me know. Thanks for all the input!

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
As an FYI the free shipping is 1/2 cuF for $32. I paid $38 for their 1 cuF shipped to TX. Free shipping is not really “free”, hopefully not to late…
Was the pumice shifted and were the fines removed? I purchase from general pumice because it comes shifted with no fines and almost 100% the same size I ordered.

Last edited:

Kalebh

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Was the pumice shifted and were the fines removed? I purchase from general pumice because it comes shifted with not fines and almost 100% the same size I ordered.
It was sifted, I honestly don't remember having any issues with dust. It's been about a year since I've bought any from them, but I remember it being really good quality. Good Luck!

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
It was sifted, I honestly don't remember having any issues with dust. It's been about a year since I've bought any from them, but I remember it being really good quality. Good Luck!
I am ordering a 1 foot cubic bag now to compare. Thank you

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Was the pumice shifted and were the fines removed? I purchase from general pumice because it comes shifted with no fines and almost 100% the same size I ordered.
Yes. Their pumice at this time is very consistent between 1/4" - 3/8", rarely anything bigger or smaller. I contacted them about the possibility to make available 1/8" - 1/4" which is specific for bonsai and I guess succulent planting. They replied back, but my take is that there needs to be more requests directly to them before they actually take action. The size they sell goes out of stock often, so I don't see them catering to us unless there is more demand. Maybe we may need to get some big guns from the East Coast involved... I know that @William N. Valavanis is super busy right now, but maybe in the near future?

The size is great for bigger trees, but not so much for shohin or smaller chuhin. For that I would buy either the smaller 1/8" or 3/16" 3 gal from General pumice, the small size pumice from Bonsai Tonight (Jonas), or Bonsai Jack pumice that is sifted to 1/4, and includes some 1/8" and very few 3/8".

I have bought from almost every supplier out there, all the ones I mentioned here are great, nut none can beat the price of Build A Soil 1 cuF bag shipped. Only way would be to live in a place that actually mine pumice, where you could get a yd for $50 or less...

1706185801181.png

1706185816333.png

2L bottle for size comparison, this bag is double the size of most 3 gal bags from competitors are close to the same price.

1706185855168.png

1706185868990.png

Top Bottom