Nippon Daisy

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi everyone, it's been some time since I stopped in. Life has been overwhelmingly crazy the past few years and my whole bonsai hobby fell by the wayside as a result. I've been doing a lot of thinking and I've decided that I want to try developing and keeping a Nippon Daisy bonsai collection. I've tried keeping dozens of trees of all different sorts at the same time and I just can't keep up right now. A lot of the trees gave it up during the heat last year, and the rest I put in the ground (mostly yaupon holly with decent 6-8" trunks) for future developing. Something about Nippons grab my attention though, so I'm going for it. Plus I have some awesome Roy Minarai pots that would pair well with Nippons.

Here are two that I got from @Pitoon a couple of years back. I've put them in the ground in semi-compacted amended red clay and they've thickened much fast than some other cuttings growing in an above-ground planter with really nice soil. Hard to tell but trunks are about 1.5". I kept it leggy to see if the additional growth would help fatten the trunk. I think some of the "cascading" trunks have ground layered (yay!), so I plan to dig in the spring, separate, and replant for an additional year or two. Something about the clay develops them faster, which tracks with Bill V's advice. The ones in deep pots with 50% clay seem to develop relatively faster too. Last picture is a Nippon I bought from a local gardener. I put it in the ground too - unfortunately it was kept a little too moist, so I had some dieback and some shelf mushrooms growing. I guess we'll see what happens with that one, but the trunk is about 2.5-3". Bummer to lose that one...IMG_8636.jpgIMG_8635.jpgIMG_8634.jpgIMG_8637.jpg

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know how you keep away from digging those holly in the ground, but I guess spring is soon enough. Nice daisy!

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don't know how you keep away from digging those holly in the ground, but I guess spring is soon enough. Nice daisy!
Partly I wanted to let them recover after pulling them out of a neighbor's yard where they grew for about 25 years or so. There's also about 20 of them and I knew I wouldn't be able to take care of all of them all at once if I threw them in pots. Also, that would have been a ton of cash for soil all at once!

I'll probably pull 5 or so out for myself in the spring and then will maybe try to negotiate locally for others to come dig in exchange for soil, pots, etc. I've also thought about donating them as workshop material for the ATL Bonsai club, but they would need a bit of time to recover after being potted up before being worked.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just develop them in the ground then - likely worth hundreds each at least so make sure you barter enough bonsai soil to make you happy!

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just develop them in the ground then - likely worth hundreds each at least so make sure you barter enough bonsai soil to make you happy!
I give them a haircut a few times per year, but I haven't really done any branch selection. I probably should, although some of them are tough to get to since I planted them in a clump where I had the space. Just snapped a few pics of the trunks - hard to get a sense of scale, but these are the relatively smaller ones. The first one I plan to keep above all the others. I'm a sucker for pots, so I'd probably end up trading for more of those.IMG_8649.jpgIMG_8652.jpgIMG_8651.jpgIMG_8650.jpg

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, you should think of this time in ground as an opportunity to cut branches and have a much faster heal. Develop the bases. If you can work on the ground, treat yourself to a miniture sawzall or something.

Top Bottom