Masterpiece , natural raft tree! you have to see this.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree is a masterpiece of nature and must be ancient. It looks like it fell over many years ago and grew from its fallen position. It set in the middle of a Lowes store parking lot on HWY 27 near Winter Haven Fl. next to the Eagles ridge mall. Lowes deserves applause for saving this tree, they fenced off about a half acre for this unique and beautiful tree. The base is about 30 feet long by itself, the tree is massive and gorgeous.

This is the base

Natural raft by edsnapshot, on Flickr

This is the whole tree, as much as I could get in the picture at least.

Raft full by edsnapshot, on Flickr

I hope you enjoy seeing this as much as I did, its a wonder to behold, again thank you Lowes for preserving this tree.

ed

Last edited:
That's awesome ed. Thanks for sharing this.

Here is a tree I came across during a hike last summer. It's not nearly as spectacular but I thought you might like it anyway.

2011-07-07 16.02.45.jpg

Dan its beautiful, you know I live for trees like these. Seriously, I am always looking at trees in nature, but I especially love the unique ones. I had a file called trees on my computer with several hundred uniquely beautiful trees that disappeared! I went crazy trying to recover it, I used a recovery tool first, then I restored my computer three times to past saved places and its just gone. I had trees that had fell over on washed out cliffs and were hanging on by the roots and grew back towards the sun, I had a pine tree that was at least 50 feet tall with seven trunks all coming from a base that was at least 20 feet wide that I will never be able to photograph again as the whole area burned down in one of Floridas uncontrollable wildfires. I had pics of the oaks trees in florida that look as if they were twisted by some giant growing up then bending at 90 degree angles and growing some more and bending again, they are in a grove and must be competing for the light. Thanks for sharing that neat pine!

ed

thanks-awesome tree. What is it + is that moss on the branches??

That's remarkable. Thanks for sharing, Ed. I've never seen a raft this well developed.

@jason biggs - the tree is an oak, most likely southern live oak (quercus virginiana). And the moss is commonly known as Spanish moss, which is odd because it is neither moss nor Spanish.

Really nice. Kudos to Lowes for their effort in preserving this tree.

Ed, I'm sorry about your tree file. I pray you find it someday.

Thank you for sharing your passion for trees. It really shows in your posts. :)

Back
Top Bottom