Imperial Masterpiece

Wait, you think I have the skills to do that?

Oh, I have the skill to buy a beer, but grafting Ume onto juniper, and have it bloom? Me? You saw evidence of my grafting skills! (I'm getting better...)

Lol!!

Beer's on me!

An aside: I mossed two of my shohin for the Show tonight. Three more to go. Wow, it sure makes a difference! They actually look halfway decent!

The star of my display is going to be the Olive - with Ume grafted on it! Lol!!!

I have the photographic evidence...
image.jpeg

Only one Adair I know taking intensives with Boon.... And on my favorite branch too. Maybe you owe me two beers.

Scott

I have the photographic evidence...
View attachment 115874

Only one Adair I know taking intensives with Boon.... And on my favorite branch too. Maybe you owe me two beers.

Scott
Of course it's your favorite branch! Who else has a juniper with an Ume branch? Ha! I think YOU owe ME two beers! Lol!!!

Always great reading your posts! For the people like me that enjoy "cookie cutter" formal pines , your skill and patience explaining the how and why of maintaining "finished" trees is a gift we all benefit from. Thanks for your time

Always great reading your posts! For the people like me that enjoy "cookie cutter" formal pines , your skill and patience explaining the how and why of maintaining "finished" trees is a gift we all benefit from. Thanks for your time
You mean like this one?

image.jpeg

Give me a couple years. I should be able to get it looking pretty good!

Love it!!! I definitely love all the types of pines, oddly enough I don't see a lot of formal uprights.
That's because they're hard to do. Got to have a perfectly straight trunk, perfect nebari all around, branches at the right places, thicker branches on the bottom, thinner ones up top, branches with taper, trunk with taper...

You just don't find these very often. Cookie Cutter? You bet!

If I may ask what's the point of the JunipUme?

I mean apart the fun part of realizing such a graft what is it supposed to look like when it will start to look like it should look?
If you know what I mean :)

PS: and btw seriously this time: congrats for the milestone and thanks for the advises also, they were always appreciated and right on the spot.

If I may ask what's the point of the JunipUme?

I mean apart the fun part of realizing such a graft what is it supposed to look like when it will start to look like it should look?
If you know what I mean :)

PS: and btw seriously this time: congrats for the milestone and thanks for the advises also, they were always appreciated and right on the spot.

I think that my juniper may have just self-identified as an Ume while Adair was around. I'm sure that he was just trying to help it realize it's hidden potential. I'm just not sure that Adair took the time to give it the poor tree the appropriate and necessary counseling it needed before undergoing it's species change operation.

Scott

I think that my juniper may have just self-identified as an Ume while Adair was around. I'm sure that he was just trying to help it realize it's hidden potential. I'm just not sure that Adair took the time to give it the poor tree the appropriate and necessary counseling it needed before undergoing it's species change operation.

Scott

Wow, I am sorry, I don't understand.
:)
Ah yes, I think I get it but what's those sort of red berries on the front of the picture? o_O

Wow, I am sorry, I don't understand.
:)
Ah yes, I think I get it but what's those sort of red berries on the front of the picture? o_O

I'm sorry Alain - it's a bit of an inside joke I played on Adair. The red "berries" are flower buds on an Ume branch. Some time ago I played a little trick on Adair that involved placing a juniper graft on an Ume tree - I just about had Adair convinced he'd done it himself and now it's become a bit of a running joke.

- Scott

Even a guy from far, far away learns things from you. Sounds like a fairy tale to me. Thanks

I'm sorry Alain - it's a bit of an inside joke I played on Adair. The red "berries" are flower buds on an Ume branch. Some time ago I played a little trick on Adair that involved placing a juniper graft on an Ume tree - I just about had Adair convinced he'd done it himself and now it's become a bit of a running joke.

- Scott

Good one! :)
I was wondering: is that some kind of monsters' creation experiments, one have seen worse involving frogs and stuff in the early years of genetics researches ;)

Scott
Very funny, Scott! You know that Boon likes to keep his conifers on one bench and deciduous on another! And there you had a conifer on a deciduous bench! Well, that's just not allowed in these politically correct times! Now, having some deciduous foliage, the tree can choose which bench it prefers! Of course, having flowers allows it to cross pollinate with the plum tree with shimpaku grafted on. The fruit of such a crossing would indeed be sweet!

- Scott
When Boon was teaching grafting, he had a plum tree that had grown a second trunk, a sucker, from the rootstock. It didn't bloom. So, we grafted plum onto the sucker tree hoping to turn it into a plum. None of my grafts took. Some other students did!

At the same time we did that, when Boon wasn't looking, Paul Kellum and I also grafted some Ume on it. I think they did take.

So, Scott goes to Boon's and sees my failed plum grafts. And kids me about it. Then, Boon plays along and grafts on Kishu juniper. And puts my name on it. Then sends me a picture, and asked when I did it!

I couldn't remember doing it, but I did remember Paul and I joking around grafting Ume, and we were have much fun... so, it's entirely possible that it would be something I would do... But, I would have put someone else's name on it! Well, being it that I have ADHD and questionable short term memory, I admitted that it was entirely possible that I did it.

Anyway, we've had a lot of fun "grafting Ume" on everything.

So, Boon goes and put Ume on Scott's juniper. There was enough stored energy in the scion that it bloomed!

Who says bonsai has to be serious all the time?

Oh, wait...

Isn't there a thread about that? Lol!!!

Everybody loves Adair.... Awwww
Don't let it got your head you filthy SOB! ;)

Thanks for passing on a ton of knowledge! People like you who have experience, have great trees and are willing to take the time to explain the steps it takes to improve them, make this forum a better place!

Scott
So, which potting shed will he use?

Back
Top Bottom