Looking to buy yamadori

Hey dmv. Kind of unrelated to the thread, but reading up on how many bald cypresses you have. Just wanted to tell you if you in the future want to sell any for a decent price, I’m trying to get into bald cypress too, so please send a pm if you are looking to sell any. So far I’m just working with 1 but I’m looking to definitely get more in the future.
You need to hit up @Cajunrider , he’s the forums local bald cypress peddler😉

Hey dmv. Kind of unrelated to the thread, but reading up on how many bald cypresses you have. Just wanted to tell you if you in the future want to sell any for a decent price, I’m trying to get into bald cypress too, so please send a pm if you are looking to sell any. So far I’m just working with 1 but I’m looking to definitely get more in the future.
All of mine are tiny. @Cajunrider may have something more substantial for you. But if you want tiny I have some extras. I’d ask @Cajunrider First though
the non tree to tree posts ratios are getting ifffy lately. Here’s an idea start w nursery material first before putting your paws on a yamadori. I’d hate to see an old tree decline even if viewed on my phone
So you guys think that because I just made my account I am 2 days into my bonsai journey? Lol. No offense but I’m a few years in and have an entire collection of trees besides the ones I got from cajunrider. So no thank you on the nursery material suggestion lol

All of mine are tiny. @Cajunrider may have something more substantial for you. But if you want tiny I have some extras. I’d ask @Cajunrider First though

So you guys think that because I just made my account I am 2 days into my bonsai journey? Lol. No offense but I’m a few years in and have an entire collection of trees besides the ones I got from cajunrider. So no thank you on the nursery material suggestion lol
I’m currently looking for smaller stuff right now, as I’m trying to start out. I don’t want to get into bigger stuff to start out and risk killing them.

I’m currently looking for smaller stuff right now, as I’m trying to start out. I don’t want to get into bigger stuff to start out and risk killing them.
I hear that! You can PM Me and I’ll give you a run down. It doesn’t let me PM people on here for some reason. Or I am just slow. Both have potential to be true lol

Post em and we can provide advice if you’re actually ready then .

Post em and we can provide advice if you’re actually ready then .
Imagine the day that I need your approval to tell me if I am “ready” to spend my own money on a tree 🤣 - some of these posts are insane lol.

FWIW, getting quality yamadori stock takes a lot of looking around, mostly in-person as well as personal connections. That means getting out and looking at bonsai shows. If I were you and had that kind of cash, I would be eagerly awaiting the National Bonsai Exhibition in Rochester, NY in September. Bar none, that show will bring the best yamadori vendors all in one place. BC are nice, I have a big one from Cajun myself, but the vendors at that show will have some extremely nice material (Ryan Neal, Andy Smith and a dozen others will be there most likely) that you won't see anywhere else.

BTW, It's unclear exactly what you're looking for--Western conifers are not all that great a choice for the DMV (which BTW for those not living here, stands for the District, Maryland and Virginia--go Nats, go Orioles 😁 ). If you spend a considerable sum on a collected Western alpine juniper, ponderosa or whatever pine, you can expect a lot of disappointment, IMO. Too wet and humid in this region to keep them without a lot of hassle. And good luck getting Randy Knight to respond or even acknowledge you. 😁

The best yamadori for here are deciduous and broadleafed eastern natives and landscaping trees, such as elms, yaupon holly, BC, hornbeam, beech, blackhaw, blueberry, boxwood, wisteria, apple, bradford pear, bittersweet, Japanese maples. Given that this area has so many old and extremely old landscaping, there are some extremely nice old JMs in yards that can be great bonsai. Boxwood can also be found at homesites in larger sizes with a lot of rugged character. The twisted old boxwood below was at a historic site in Fairfax county. It was protected because the site is historic, but there are other sites around with such stuff if you have the contacts and know where to look (landscaping companies are your friend). The pic of the bonsai is of a boxwood made from a hedge in Arlington. The raw stock was purchased at a regional club bonsai auction--Potomac Bonsai Society (which includes Maryland clubs) has one most every year up in Beltsville.

Attachments

• dwarfbox3.jpg
    dwarfbox3.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 67
  • literatiboxwood (1).jpg
    literatiboxwood (1).jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 60
FWIW, getting quality yamadori stock takes a lot of looking around, mostly in-person as well as personal connections. That means getting out and looking at bonsai shows. If I were you and had that kind of cash, I would be eagerly awaiting the National Bonsai Exhibition in Rochester, NY in September. Bar none, that show will bring the best yamadori vendors all in one place. BC are nice, I have a big one from Cajun myself, but the vendors at that show will have some extremely nice material (Ryan Neal, Andy Smith and a dozen others will be there most likely) that you won't see anywhere else.

BTW, It's unclear exactly what you're looking for--Western conifers are not all that great a choice for the DMV (which BTW for those not living here, stands for the District, Maryland and Virginia--go Nats, go Orioles 😁 ). If you spend a considerable sum on a collected Western alpine juniper, ponderosa or whatever pine, you can expect a lot of disappointment, IMO. Too wet and humid in this region to keep them without a lot of hassle. And good luck getting Randy Knight to respond or even acknowledge you. 😁

The best yamadori for here are deciduous and broadleafed eastern natives and landscaping trees, such as elms, yaupon holly, BC, hornbeam, beech, blackhaw, blueberry, boxwood, wisteria, apple, bradford pear, bittersweet, Japanese maples. Given that this area has so many old and extremely old landscaping, there are some extremely nice old JMs in yards that can be great bonsai. Boxwood can also be found at homesites in larger sizes with a lot of rugged character. The twisted old boxwood below was at a historic site in Fairfax county. It was protected because the site is historic, but there are other sites around with such stuff if you have the contacts and know where to look (landscaping companies are your friend). The pic of the bonsai is of a boxwood made from a hedge in Arlington. The raw stock was purchased at a regional club bonsai auction--Potomac Bonsai Society (which includes Maryland clubs) has one most every year up in Beltsville.
Now this was a very informative post. Thank you. Maybe I do need to join some clubs.

That was beyond helpful actually. I’ve read your posts over the last year or two before I joined the forum. Learned a lot. Appreciate that! I will take note of all you said as I keep looking. I’ll go to that show too. Thanks again!!!

I needed that part about what will and won’t really thrive here over time because I get a little head strong lol. Noted on everything

"So you guys think that because I just made my account I am 2 days into my bonsai journey? Lol. No offense but I’m a few years in and have an entire collection of trees besides the ones I got from cajunrider. So no thank you on the nursery material suggestion lol"

Lol, no offense, but Well, yeah, for the most part, we have to assume you're a newbie...Since you have not really been a part of much here and are reluctant or refuse to post photos of much of anything, makes people skeptical. Sorry, but if you want credibility, post a photo of one of your tree (not a partial of something you just bought). Otherwise, we have no idea WTF you have in your backyard or what kind of advice to give. We have no point of reference. and FWIW, collected live oak I've been working on for 25 years, a collected cedar elm I've worked for the same and a kingsville boxwood I made from nursery material:

Attachments

• cedarelm.jpg
    cedarelm.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 60
  • kingsville2.jpg
    kingsville2.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 47
  • half box.jpg
    half box.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 59
"So you guys think that because I just made my account I am 2 days into my bonsai journey? Lol. No offense but I’m a few years in and have an entire collection of trees besides the ones I got from cajunrider. So no thank you on the nursery material suggestion lol"

Lol, no offense, but Well, yeah, for the most part, we have to assume you're a newbie...Since you have not really been a part of much here and are reluctant or refuse to post photos of much of anything, makes people skeptical. Sorry, but if you want credibility, post a photo of one of your tree (not a partial of something you just bought). Otherwise, we have no idea WTF you have in your backyard or what kind of advice to give. We have no point of reference. and FWIW, collected live oak I've been working on for 25 years, a collected cedar elm I've worked for the same and a kingsville boxwood I made from nursery material:
I didn’t ask for advice I only asked where I could buy yamadori 🤣 not that I couldn’t use the advice. To me, if you didn’t have an answer to that question this thread should have been skipped over. Not you as in you, but you as in whomever. This wasn’t supposed to turn into some 🍆 challenge about what level material I may or may not be “ready” to handle or whatever have you. Or a post my collection thread. & I don’t want credibility either. I’ve never posted any of my trees anywhere and don’t plan on doing so to be honest. I only wanted to know if there was some yamadori available that I hadn’t come across yet lol. I could have taken it from there. That was the depths of it.

I’m ordering a few trees from bob at Mendocino coast bonsai today. How will redwoods fair here in your opinion?

Beautiful trees by the way.

I’ve purchased quite a few trees in the last 12 months and what I’ve come to learn is that collectors with the best materials tend to not post them online. Or rather they do not have to. They also prefer to sell to people they know. So reach out to the main collectors; Randy, Dan, Steve, Todd, etc. and visit their nurseries/place of business to be on the shortlist of who they’d reach out when they get new materials.

As for shipping, very few sellers will figure shipping out for you but there are definitely services that’ll white glove deliver trees to you. Best part is the courier will remove the liability from the seller and you as they carry insurance.
White glove service! That is what I want to hear more about.

Dan and Steve are wonderful. Yes there are many collectors, reach out directly is always a good approach.

Have you reached out to black Dodge Bonsai. He doesn't ship but might be near enough to you. Maybe nature valley, not collector but has yamadori.

White glove service! That is what I want to hear more about.

Dan and Steve are wonderful. Yes there are many collectors, reach out directly is always a good approach.

Have you reached out to black Dodge Bonsai. He doesn't ship but might be near enough to you. Maybe nature valley, not collector but has yamadori.
Noted on those suggestions. Thank you. I’ll look into them

Back
Top Bottom