Last (ever?) Mirai Tree Sale

Still quite surprising to me that even at these prices you cant make a decent buck selling bonsai..

I know regular bonsai nurserys are struggling but I figured Mirai would be doing okay since their goods are priced considerably higher than other vendors.

I'm a little surprised that there were no deciduous trees in the sale. There were definitely a few in the sale promos

If you can make it to Fresno in November, the Clark Collection will be contributing to the Fresno club sale again this year. I'll try to post trees when they make final decisions.
Sounds awesome—I would love for more sharing of these sales. All my best trees came from a very similar sale at the Pacific Bonsai Museum. Definitely would like to know about any regional ones, like in Portland, so posting on here when auctions are occurring is great.

I could maybe get to Fresno…but I’m not sure how I could make it back.

The unemployment rate is reported as a percentage of able/eligible workers, not a ratio to anything else. Restaurants and department stores are among the lowest paid positions (not to mention some of the most public facing which still scares people) so if there are other higher paying jobs around those are where people will go. Even a dollar more an hour offered is enough for that to shift.

Here, the local grocery store was hiring at $16 an hour but a lot of other places were paying $19 and $20 per hour. So the grocery store had a hard time filling those positions.

The summer after covid (2021 or 2022, I forget), an ice cream place was paying $25 an hour just to get people to serve ice cream....

Two or three tree trimming companies kept outbidding each other every other week to get people.

The local Home Depot and Lowes are still hiring, paying $19 and $20 an hour. No one is applying.

Whether willing or not, there were/are not enough people to work those jobs.

I've often wondered where all these people are working. Then I heard a report that said the amounts of people doing gig work or self employed/startups has increased dramatically since covid. Doing what, I have no idea but it appears pretty common.
Idk about everyone else here... But In my area we most certainly have not recovered, as a young person who has friends and has been out in the world without any kind of retirement funds... 1. There has been no heighten pay raise for anything around my area and we are currently "in an economic boom" not because a higher pay but because everyone is moving here. 2. Most young people are currently unable to find a job because corporations are using the covid thing as a shield, they put up hiring signs so people take pity on the understaffing but they aren't actively hiring (at least that's what management will say when you ask)
And finally, unemployment seems to be down because people are moving changing the national statistics from state to state,

Here in Utah (last I checked) we are still ranked around the top ten for the best cost to living and no one here... At least no one in my generation is truly surviving, we have 5+ roommates and pay 1300 a week for groceries and given my biweekly salary comes to 1000 dollars total (and that's the average paying job around here without a degree) I think it's absurd anyone is claiming our economy is in any good shape, we are on the border of a total economic crash, the only thing holding our housing market currently is the constant transfer of houses dispite the fact there are tons of houses on the market... Sorry if I got off topic here lol

As for Ryan's shift, I think It was evident since the whole "yoga" video thing. He was looking for an out and testing to see if his community was flexible

huh? Typo?

Now you got me curious re. your nickname..
Nickname, graduated from highschool with a work certification and I was constantly working on clocks and machines some people sarcasticly called me doc others spring work so I threw it together for a quick handle

Also not a typo not doing well at all financially no one I know is... Hell the nursery I'm working at is down 60% of it's average sells.

This economy is killing my generation.

Also I'm 22 I may have been able to grad early but not nearly early and enough to grad college. Especially at 3000 dollars a semester I don't come from the kind of money that requires

Nickname, graduated from highschool with a work certification and I was constantly working on clocks and machines some people sarcasticly called me doc others spring work so I threw it together for a quick handle

Also not a typo not doing well at all financially no one I know is... Hell the nursery I'm working at is down 60% of it's average sells.

Also I'm 22 I may have been able to grad early but not nearly early and enough to grad college. Especially at 3000 dollars a semester I don't come from the kind of money that requires
And I just realized my nickname is from something else! I have too many handles

I think he was saying you can't possibly spend $1300 a week on groceries because that would be insane.

oh wow thanks for zombifying this thread that had actually gotten back on topic.

this sort of discussion is really better suited for the Tea House subforum. mattera fact, it’s not that good there either, and is best left for face to face, as there is some sort of gulf of empathy we still haven’t bridge in online written communication.

✌️

Still quite surprising to me that even at these prices you cant make a decent buck selling bonsai..

I know regular bonsai nurserys are struggling but I figured Mirai would be doing okay since their goods are priced considerably higher than other vendors.
I think it is not the price on the tree that makes it hard to make a living selling trees. The issue is how many trees you have in this caliber that you can produce/sell in a given year. If anyone can make 15 trees that look this good on an annual basis can probably make a living by selling trees.... that is if you don't have to pay for people working for you.

Does Mirai only sell their trees once year? I was under the impression that the yearly annual sale is the only online sales but anyone can contact them or walk in to purchase a tree there anytime of the year.
Well, you have to make an appointment, but the principle is the same.

There is no money in selling trees? That seems like a very odd thing to say.
Seriously. When you consider the hours spent watering, fertilizing, styling, and the cost of utilities, supplies and real estate on which to do that, it is very difficult to make a living solely from selling one of a kind trees.

oh wow thanks for zombifying this thread that had actually gotten back on topic.
if you have pictures of the trees for sale, that would be great. Seems that this time around they remove the entry from the store after sale so I have no clue what they were sellen.

Kinda weird they dont stay on the site just labeled as sold out. I went to the site the minute the stream stopped but it didnt show anything.

Back
Top Bottom