Juniperus - Questions to the experts

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
When you say almost no watering after the first time, are you saying repot, water once THEN hold off? What’s your rationale for this? Encourage the tree to look for roots to take up moisture??
Exactly. It's like taking a cutting. You water them in and then the top is misted to slow down transpiration but the pot is not watered much and that encourages roots to form.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Exactly. It's like taking a cutting. You water them in and then the top is misted to slow down transpiration but the pot is not watered much and that encourages roots to form.
Interesting...

That’s a lot of aftercare. Collected yamadori is treated like that because so little feeder roots are usually obtained.

A regular repot and a HBR repot, I put the tree back into full sun, and water daily. No misting required.

The sun warms the roots and stimulates them to grow.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Wouldn't it be better to wait until spring to repot?
Spring in my region does not last long.
Very hot and dry summer weather comes soon and a newly bare-rooted tree has less chances to withstand.
On the contrary, fall is continuing its mildly hot and humid weather well into November and the tree will have better chances.
If the case was only for root pruning and repotting, then I could consider doing this in spring.
Last and current year I made most of my repottings (except tropicals and olives) during fall and my trees responded better coming next spring

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Interesting...

That’s a lot of aftercare. Collected yamadori is treated like that because so little feeder roots are usually obtained.

A regular repot and a HBR repot, I put the tree back into full sun, and water daily. No misting required.

The sun warms the roots and stimulates them to grow.
Oh yeah for sure. That's what I do to. I was referring to the situation where a huge amount of roots are removed for some unavoidable reason.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have repotted the tree last Sunday using the half bare root technique.
The soil was not bad but it was occupied largely by the roots. I removed 1/3 off of the bottom.
The core of the rootball had barely any humidity present although the tree had received a lot of water (very slowly absorbed) 2-3 days before.
Lots of rotting roots were removed by hand or washed out with the hose!!!
Oh yeah for sure. That's what I do to. I was referring to the situation where a huge amount of roots are removed for some unavoidable reason.
Michael, you are describing the situation applying to my juniper.
Those dead roots were removed from one half of the ball, though. The other remained untouched as far as removing is concerned but some disturbing was unavoidable...
Temperature forecast as follows :
Till the end of October, mean high 20-22C and mean low 13-14C
1-15 December, mean high 18-20C and mean low 11-13C
I hope for the best :)

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have repotted the tree last Sunday using the half bare root technique.
The soil was not bad but it was occupied largely by the roots. I removed 1/3 off of the bottom.
The core of the rootball had barely any humidity present although the tree had received a lot of water (very slowly absorbed) 2-3 days before.
Lots of rotting roots were removed by hand or washed out with the hose!!!Michael, you are describing the situation applying to my juniper.
Those dead roots were removed from one half of the ball, though. The other remained untouched as far as removing is concerned but some disturbing was unavoidable...
Temperature forecast as follows :
Till the end of October, mean high 20-22C and mean low 13-14C
1-15 December, mean high 18-20C and mean low 11-13C
I hope for the best :)

Goodluck with the tree nellie!
Did you took any pics of the hbr repotting process?

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@defra yes I did... crappy though, because I only had my old mobile phone with me... :(

The tree after the bottom 1/3 of root ball reduction. It was into a 15L nursery pot.
Photo1118.jpg

Lot of dead/rotten roots were cut/washed out...
Photo1119.jpg

Half of the rootball was combed and stretched.
Photo1121.jpg

You can see the other half almost intact (some of the falling apart dead roots of the perimeter were washed by the running water)Photo1122.jpg

I will post later photo of the finished potted tree.
I am pleased with the work done and happy for the new substrate the tree is into and I hope it will recognize and appreciate the difference :)

Attachments

• Photo1122.jpg
    Photo1122.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It looks good, especially concerning your longer growing season.

My Tripple mugo emergency HBR-ed and repotted this spring is fine...and I had some mushrooms growing right in a new bonsai soil, where the roots were cleaned.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Lol!!!

Frary likes to cause trouble!

Hey, have you and Vance done anything with those Procumbens?

And, by the way, we’ve figured out that it’s when Procumbens get rootbound and unfertilized they’ll produce scale foliage!

Check out a real procumbens here. (first conifer close up) Expand the screen to full size, put it on pause. Have a real close look. No scales and exactly like every procumbens I've ever seen. Root bound or unfertilized procumbens do NOT prodcuce scale foliage ever. (Other nice trees two).

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I assisted Tyler Sherrod with a Juniper styling class today. Mostly old 25 year old Procumbens. Some were pretty much all scale, some were pretty much all juvenile, some a mix.

So, I asked Tyler about Procumbens. If they aways stay juvenile, and he said no, they will go scale when they get old. It’s hard to keep them scale, they revert to juvi easily.

Tyler spent 5 years as an apprentice to Shinji Suzuki in Japan, and has worked on hundreds of Junipers. Maybe even thousands. Of all varieties.

Here are a couple of pictures of one of the trees we worked on today. As you can see, part was scale, part was juvi.

Scale:

EDA29D5A-E507-406B-BB51-B702D9ECD524.jpeg

Whole tree:

1E10ABCE-7764-42A6-9644-B84DF087F03E.jpeg

Juvenile close up:

260EC88E-4AAB-4FA2-BB7B-CECF884C549D.jpeg

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I assisted Tyler Sherrod with a Juniper styling class today. Mostly old 25 year old Procumbens. Some were pretty much all scale, some were pretty much all juvenile, some a mix.

So, I asked Tyler about Procumbens. If they aways stay juvenile, and he said no, they will go scale when they get old. It’s hard to keep them scale, they revert to juvi easily.

Tyler spent 5 years as an apprentice to Shinji Suzuki in Japan, and has worked on hundreds of Junipers. Maybe even thousands. Of all varieties.

Here are a couple of pictures of one of the trees we worked on today. As you can see, part was scale, part was juvi.

Scale:

View attachment 165328

Whole tree:

View attachment 165331

Juvenile close up:

View attachment 165332
I've got one that's about 40 years old. The one in the video is probably over 100. When do the scales come? .....so much for the age theory
No what you have there is a san jose. Like this one below. The bumps and warts on the trunk are the identifying feature (apart from the 2 Kinds of foliage) Procumbens just does not have those. Two different plants.
jsa.JPG

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two different plants
Ding!
Procumbens has smaller foliage than San Jose.
Both get adult scale foliage.
Both lose scale foliage at the first sign that cutters are coming.
San Jose seems to grow faster.
San Jose adult foliage is coarse. Where the procumbens scale foliage is a lot like kishu shimpaku.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Adair M Then put it back into FULL SUN! Yes, I knowthat’s a surprise! But full sun will stimulate the roots to grow because it warms the soil.

Thanks for the tip. Does it just apply to juniper?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Adair M Then put it back into FULL SUN! Yes, I knowthat’s a surprise! But full sun will stimulate the roots to grow because it warms the soil.

Thanks for the tip. Does it just apply to juniper?
Nope, pretty much every tree goes back into it’s regular environment.

I mostly do Pines, so they go back into full sun.

The “root warming” stimulating root growth is pretty much universal.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have just always heard opposite! But thanks I will start doing it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have just always heard opposite! But thanks I will start doing it.

I've noted differences in San Francisco....Georgia, here.....
And possibly AZ too.

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've noted differences in San Francisco....Georgia, here.....
And possibly AZ too.

Sorce
I have repotted in Georgia and in the Bay Area of California. In both of those, we place the trees right back out in the sun. My teacher, Boon, travels extensively all over the US, and the world, actually. And no matter where he repost trees, he puts them right back out in the sun after repotting.

You do have to keep them watered.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Updating the juniper.
Repotted 22/10 and it got a thorough watering.
No water after that until Monday 30/10 when I gave it a little water with a solution of natural bio-energizer, as per Michael.
... ...but the pot is not watered much
... ...You give water freely only when you see good new growth.
Regular misting of foliage 3-4 times daily of course, plus the weather turned a little more humid.
The runners at tips of branches keep on elongating, so a good and optimistic sign :)

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice !
Thnx for the pics on the hbr!!
Did you change planting angle with the repot?

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks for your interest.
No, I did not.
I was troubled with that though, but I decided to look into this issue at next repotting after the other half of the root ball will be cleaned/reduced.

Top Bottom