Juniperus - Questions to the experts

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I assisted Tyler Sherrod with a Juniper styling class today. Mostly old 25 year old Procumbens. Some were pretty much all scale, some were pretty much all juvenile, some a mix.

So, I asked Tyler about Procumbens. If they aways stay juvenile, and he said no, they will go scale when they get old. It’s hard to keep them scale, they revert to juvi easily.

Tyler spent 5 years as an apprentice to Shinji Suzuki in Japan, and has worked on hundreds of Junipers. Maybe even thousands. Of all varieties.

Here are a couple of pictures of one of the trees we worked on today. As you can see, part was scale, part was juvi.

Scale:

View attachment 165328

Whole tree:

View attachment 165331

Juvenile close up:

View attachment 165332
Is that from the "sea of junipers"? I'd like to get me one of those

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Indeed! This is the last of them. The grower who has been growing them for Plant City for 30 years is retiring. So Stev went and bought them all. There are some about 15 years old that make nice Shohin, too.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Crap Steve is already is out? Several years back he had hundreds of them! Good for him if so.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Crap Steve is already is out? Several years back he had hundreds of them! Good for him if so.
No, he just brought in about 500!

But, this will be the last of them until he can find another supplier.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hello everybody!

It's almost two months and my juniper is doing fine.
No sign of any stress.
So now I am thinking of reducing the foliage, pruning, selecting branches and so on.

I would love to hear your suggestions!
Do it now or wait a little longer?
I need everyone's opinion @Adair M @MichaelS @RKatzin @M. Frary and anyone else in the mood to help :)
Thanks everybody in advance!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't prune it yet if you are going into winter. Seems a slow time to get a gauge on health.

In summer, after my repotted Spruce and Juniper showed signs of not realizing they were repotted, I trimmed em a little, but only stuff that absolutely had to go.

Stuff already slated to be removed at that point.

But that was summer, with no growth in winter, it seems removing, is giving nothing going back.

Sorce

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Watch out for the runners... would you pinch these, Adair?

funny-drag-runners.jpg

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

You guys are unbelievable!
Thank you so much for making me laugh!

Top Bottom