Is there such a practice as cutting off some roots of a Juniperus procumbens 'Nana' and grafting them to a lower position for more even nebari?

raenstorming

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Most search results are about grafting a young tree to the trunk to use its roots, but that’s not what I’m wondering about. My juniper (cascade in development) is probably 7 years old or so. If I chop the higher up roots, the nebari will be fully lopsided, and it seems like such a waste to pitch those healthy roots if there’s any way I can reposition them on the same plane as the lowest roots.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
When I was last at Boon's, he said he is planning to graft roots on juniper trunks to shorten the tree. What you're asking about isn't exactly that, but it seems possible.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When I was last at Boon's, he said he is planning to graft roots on juniper trunks to shorten the tree. What you're asking about isn't exactly that, but it seems possible.
I think it can be done like we do maples.
Graft seedlings among the roots then cut off the rest of the tree once the donor's roots fuse with the roots being grafted to

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I just re-read the OP, ...and I probably need to retract my comment. The scenario I mentioned doesn't really apply to the one you describe. (I was describing essentially approach grafting. You'd have to scion graft, or at best peg-graft (think threadgrafting but w/o going all the way through) and I've never heard anyone doing that w/ Junipers. I've seen it done on trident, but not sure a Pronana has vigorous enough roots for them to knit w/ the recipient plant quickly enough.) Sorry I didn't read more carefully.

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Most search results are about grafting a young tree to the trunk to use its roots, but that’s not what I’m wondering about. My juniper (cascade in development) is probably 7 years old or so. If I chop the higher up roots, the nebari will be fully lopsided, and it seems like such a waste to pitch those healthy roots if there’s any way I can reposition them on the same plane as the lowest roots.
Interesting. Can we see a pic of what you are looking at?

raenstorming

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Interesting. Can we see a pic of what you are looking at?
(I know I’ve got crossed wire here, first wiring and learned my lessons but didn’t have enough wire to cut it off and redo.) The photo of the “left” side is where it’s lopsided, no thick roots there at all. I’ve marked yellow dots where it actually slopes downward to the right. I just slip-potted and exposed the nebari as much as I could without disturbing it too much, so there could be more to work with lower down, but I poked around with a stick a bunch and I don’t believe there is. ((Photos didn’t attach, trying again))IMG_1463.jpegIMG_1445.jpegIMG_1442.jpegIMG_1462.jpeg

Last edited:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You could try planting it deeper, enough to cover those roots in hopes of additional roots growing. and FWIW, junipers aren't generally know for having wonderful nebari.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don’t think so. But, Procumbens will produce new roots easily all on its own.
This.
Most, if not all junipers are pretty easy to root in ground layers. Dapple some moss around the trunk and roots will pop out.
See those bumps/warts on the lower trunk? Those are primordial roots, all they need is some moisture.
It can take a couple years, but there's no need for root grafting.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To first respond to your question.. I am convinced it can be done. I have in fact tried it once on an arakawa airlayer, where the one root it had, broke off upon potting up. It did not work at the time, but I am convinced this is due to the plant not having any roots at all. Considering it is possible to scion-graft foliage, I see no reason why direct "scion" root grafting would not work.

That being said.. If I look at your front.. Remove the highest 2 roots and it seems like you have a near-perfect frontal nebari. I see no need for grafting. And indeed, planting deep enough might be enough to get more roots. Which I do not feel you need.

1710186443496.png

raenstorming

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This.
Most, if not all junipers are pretty easy to root in ground layers. Dapple some moss around the trunk and roots will pop out.
See those bumps/warts on the lower trunk? Those are primordial roots, all they need is some moisture.
It can take a couple years, but there's no need for root grafting.
Oh that’s awesome, never knew that about the bumps!! Thanks so much for the info!

raenstorming

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
To first respond to your question.. I am convinced it can be done. I have in fact tried it once on an arakawa airlayer, where the one root it had, broke off upon potting up. It did not work at the time, but I am convinced this is due to the plant not having any roots at all. Considering it is possible to scion-graft foliage, I see no reason why direct "scion" root grafting would not work.

That being said.. If I look at your front.. Remove the highest 2 roots and it seems like you have a near-perfect frontal nebari. I see no need for grafting. And indeed, planting deep enough might be enough to get more roots. Which I do not feel you need.

View attachment 533179
I’m stoked to hear this! Maybe I’ll try grafting those two roots onto the wonky side just to see if they’ll take knowing it’ll be fine either way! Thank you!

Top Bottom