Juniperus Chinensis Hetzii - style and any advice

Ventsy

Seed
Reaction score
Hello all,

A few days ago I saved this tree from a construction site and now I am wondering how to style it. :)
The problem is that the one side has no one branch and it is too straight.

The trunk is around 3 cm thick and 60 cm height.

I will be very happy if you share any idea for styling and advice of course. :)

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20240404_090215.jpg
    IMG_20240404_090215.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20240404_090223.jpg
    IMG_20240404_090223.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20240404_090246.jpg
    IMG_20240404_090246.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 63

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have tried bending juniper trunks that thick and it didn't turn out well.
So my best idea for this is either formal upright or air layering the branches off and using this plant as a mother stock.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Also, it's roots need to reestablish, if you start jostling the tree around wiring and what not, it will probably die
I'd leave it alone for a year personally, but at least until the end of this growing season

Ventsy

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks all. I will not do anything this year, but I think I have to remove some of leaves, because the roots were reduced around 25 %. Is that correct or not necessary?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks all. I will not do anything this year, but I think I have to remove some of leaves, because the roots were reduced around 25 %. Is that correct or not necessary?
Keep all the remaining foliage to aid the recovery! The plant will decide if it needs to drop foliage. In the meantime each needle will contribute to its recovery. I would allow at least one full year before any work, likely two to gain vigorous and help the tree to respond to planned work.
I understand you have mentioned a 3 inch trunk. That is likely the base area right?
I think the tree has lots of options for styling and bending with the proper techniques. You have lots of time to study the natural small bends in the trunk to see where it can be enhanced. There are plenty of branches that can be repositioned so one side being a bit bare is not an issue. Juniper grafts easily so bare areas on the larger branches can be addressed if needed. Also juniper back buds readily when cut back if the tree is vigorous.
Best step is to get the tree really strong and vigorous before any work. In the meantime research heavy bending techniques.
You will get the most out of this material if you exercise patience and preparation.

Ventsy

Seed
Reaction score
Keep all the remaining foliage to aid the recovery! The plant will decide if it needs to drop foliage. In the meantime each needle will contribute to its recovery. I would allow at least one full year before any work, likely two to gain vigorous and help the tree to respond to planned work.
I understand you have mentioned a 3 inch trunk. That is likely the base area right?
I think the tree has lots of options for styling and bending with the proper techniques. You have lots of time to study the natural small bends in the trunk to see where it can be enhanced. There are plenty of branches that can be repositioned so one side being a bit bare is not an issue. Juniper grafts easily so bare areas on the larger branches can be addressed if needed. Also juniper back buds readily when cut back if the tree is vigorous.
Best step is to get the tree really strong and vigorous before any work. In the meantime research heavy bending techniques.
You will get the most out of this material if you exercise patience and preparation.
I said 3 cm base, 3 inch. It is around 1.20 inch.
Thank you for your advice. I will not touch it least one year!

Top Bottom