Japanese Maples that Root from Cuttings

Ninecloud

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
few more pictures of ed clarks seigen(which it might not be) in the spring. I did not have a side by side afterall.

Attachments

• 20230402_085049.jpg
    20230402_085049.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 20230402_085053.jpg
    20230402_085053.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 47

Ninecloud

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
New shot today with close up of new growth

Attachments

• 20230818_162209.jpg
    20230818_162209.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 53

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Can anyone tell me what type of growth rate you are getting from your cuttings? I'm interested in years 2-5. I'm sure it's variety dependent but what's the best anyone has gotten? Is the typical stepping up the pot size each season the best course to thicken the trunks? Any insight is appreciated

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
i have a few deshojo, they def get pinker then the deshojo, and beni maiko(being the brightest in spring), and all the other reds. these three pictures are all from the same tree, they bud pink(not red like deshojo and maiko), get red and start to green. I wanna say it holds the pink maybe just a couple weeks. i'll try to have a comparison of all side by side around the same time in spring.

Here is a picture from Meriggioli's book. I've posted it a few times in this forum but I think it's worth reposting again here.

I have had all 3 for a few years -- spring color/duration can vary from year to year, just like fall color, even on the same specimens

deshojo, seigen, beni chidori.jpg

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what type of growth rate you are getting from your cuttings?

First 2 pics: Deshojo Cuttings taken May 2022 (in tray), repotted 6-8 weeks later (pot #1). Photo taken today, August 2023, so this is 18 months

Third pic: When I repot in Spring 2024 I prune the central shoot (pot #2), usually resulting in at least 2 shoots which will be 1 new leader and 1 sacrifice branch. Those are allowed to grow freely, and this picture is hypothetically 'Spring 2025' at the time of repotting (pot #3)

Attachments

• Canada-Bonsai-Japanese-Maple-Acer-palmatum-Deshojo-Shindeshojo-Shin-Deshojo-2.jpeg
    Canada-Bonsai-Japanese-Maple-Acer-palmatum-Deshojo-Shindeshojo-Shin-Deshojo-2.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8739.jpeg
    IMG_8739.jpeg
    334 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_8738.jpeg
    IMG_8738.jpeg
    390.1 KB · Views: 54

Ninecloud

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is a picture from Meriggioli's book. I've posted it a few times in this forum but I think it's worth reposting again here.

I have had all 3 for a few years -- spring color/duration can vary from year to year, just like fall color, even on the same specimens

View attachment 504451
20230822_141419.jpg
My copy of my favorite book is always close to me.

Ninecloud

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First 2 pics: Deshojo Cuttings taken May 2022 (in tray), repotted 6-8 weeks later (pot #1). Photo taken today, August 2023, so this is 18 months

Third pic: When I repot in Spring 2024 I prune the central shoot (pot #2), usually resulting in at least 2 shoots which will be 1 new leader and 1 sacrifice branch. Those are allowed to grow freely, and this picture is hypothetically 'Spring 2025' at the time of repotting (pot #3)
I know you have Beni Chidori... and i know you know the demand here in the US. Ed Clark was one looking for one, and hes the one who get me Seigen(which i recall you searching for in Japan). Not sure if you have one yet, buttt just a heads up. He is in CA though, so there that challenge too.
edit. Actually nevermind - as i remember, you were responsible for getting a lot of clubs and nursery's some beni chidoris, so you;ve done enough for USA. Thank you for your service, patiently waiting for mine

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score

Nice illustration. So you repot in May taken rooted cuttings in July-August, correct?

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice illustration. So you repot in May taken rooted cuttings in July-August, correct?

Yes. Here is a picture taken November 2019. This cutting was taken May 15, 2019, repotted around July/August 2019, and by November 2019 had sent out 3-4 shoots.
(I am in Quebec, but I have an extended growing season due to coldframe/greenhouse)

Attachments

• 2019.11.03.jpg
    2019.11.03.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 58

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can anyone tell me what type of growth rate you are getting from your cuttings?
Year one (the one of rooting) I typically only get a few pairs of leaves, if I get new growth at all. Right now, about half of them have new growth, most of them forming the second pair of leaves.

The second year a foot or so on arakawa, deshojo.
The third year regular growth, which here is about up to 2 ft for arakawa. I have had deshojo reach 3ft in a year, in good years.
Not many last 3 years as normally in year 2 I start handing them off.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Ninecloud I also purchased a 'seigen' from Ed Clark this year. It's a beautiful tree, but obviously different form my 'seigen' from Maplestone... lol. I have no idea which is right, or if either is for that matter. Both are beautiful though, and really that's enough for me. The one from Maplestone has much smaller leaves. Ed's looks almost identical to deshojo for me so far. I'll watch it for a few years to make up my mind though. I also noticed that Bill Valavanis' seigen has rather large leaves and looks similar to the tree from Ed.

I'm also waiting (trying to be patient) for Beni chidori to become available in the States.

Bonfire seems to be another tree we have mixed up here. I currently have two very different versions from different nurseries.

Ninecloud

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Ninecloud I also purchased a 'seigen' from Ed Clark this year. It's a beautiful tree, but obviously different form my 'seigen' from Maplestone... lol. I have no idea which is right, or if either is for that matter. Both are beautiful though, and really that's enough for me. The one from Maplestone has much smaller leaves. Ed's looks almost identical to deshojo for me so far. I'll watch it for a few years to make up my mind though. I also noticed that Bill Valavanis' seigen has rather large leaves and looks similar to the tree from Ed.

I'm also waiting (trying to be patient) for Beni chidori to become available in the States.

Bonfire seems to be another tree we have mixed up here. I currently have two very different versions from different nurseries.
I am observing the same thing, I get large leaves on it, and i assumed it was from fertilization. Gonna have to get the maplestone one now... I do notice that the colors are different, and different windows of how long they hold them, but the leaf size has me second guessing. Good to know Bill's is similar. This cultivar will continue to be mystery.

Ninecloud

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I thought I'd share this, forgot to. Screenshot_20230909_081804_Messenger.jpg

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought I'd share this, forgot to.
Thanks! I have a few ideas for them. One I'm thinking about is rooting cuttings or layers and then adding root grafts with seedlings. I assume this would boost vigor just like a grafted tree but without a graft union in the trunk.. Any thoughts? I've even thought about thread grafting a few small seedlings on the tree instead of a layer.

Ninecloud

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks! I have a few ideas for them. One I'm thinking about is rooting cuttings or layers and then adding root grafts with seedlings. I assume this would boost vigor just like a grafted tree but without a graft union in the trunk.. Any thoughts? I've even thought about thread grafting a few small seedlings on the tree instead of a layer.
Sounds like a great idea! We'll see about increasing numbers of success. I've yet to try hard wood cuttings with them, still fairly new to the culture so it might take some time to ramp up.

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
@Canada Bonsai has posted about this before, grafting seedlings through branches/trunks with the eventual plan to separate from the parent tree if I remember correctly.

He even posted some drawings he had made of the process

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are a few I've had luck with so far, either cuttings or layers. I know I've seen most of them listed already, but here they are just in case any haven't.

Acer Palamatum seedling
AP Bonfire (according to Maplestone)
AP Calico
AP Kamagata
AP Orange Dream
AP Shin Deshojo
AP Wilsons Pink Dwarf

I had excellent results with late winter/hardwood cuttings from regular Acer palmatum, with radial roots as good as many of my air layers. Most of my cultivar hardwood cuttings weren't as successful, but I took those in fall and they sat all winter. I'm going to attempt many of those again in late winter instead of fall.

For what it's worth, I'm going to start listing cultivars like Seigen, Bonfire, Segai, and Akaji Nishiki as (according to: 'the nursery I purchased from') as there is a lot of variance between the nurseries on these cultivars.

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Deshojo cuttings have finally rooted...
Do you find you need to get a flush of growth on them before winter, to get decent survival rates?

That's been the case with me for most maples. Makes it hard to be successful with cuttings that root this late.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Do you find you need to get a flush of growth on them before winter, to get decent survival rates?

That's been the case with me for most maples. Makes it hard to be successful with cuttings that root this late.

Yes, it's a bit late in the season, so they will have to be babied.

These are being rooted in my basement. Those that root will stay down in the basement until temps hit a constant 50 degrees next year to safely move out side.

Top Bottom