Growing Japanese Maples from seeds, when to start?

I have a new supply of fresh japanese maple seeds, 4 different varieties, 2 look like your standard variety...1 might not even be acer palmatum...but the one looks like it might be the real deal possibly arakawa...i know seeds will have their own genetic traits...but crossing fingers that at least one takes after the parent plant.
More importantly i'm trying Shibui's approach of no cold stratification...climates are similar...don't get them fresher than falling of the tree...let's see how this goes...
Just a heads up, as far as I understand, don't expect any special variety from a JM seed, all cultivars produce regular Acer palmatum seeds, they will not produce the same variety of the cultivar they are collected from. In order to maintain characteristics of the cultivar it must be propagated from cutting, grafting or air layering etc.

Just a heads up, as far as I understand, don't expect any special variety from a JM seed, all cultivars produce regular Acer palmatum seeds, they will not produce the same variety of the cultivar they are collected from. In order to maintain characteristics of the cultivar it must be propagated from cutting, grafting or air layering etc.
Yea i'm aware of that...unless i create my own special named variety ;)

Back
Top Bottom