Japanese maple forest in autumn color

Ok here is another update. Spring 2015 here we come! I lightly wired and pruned a bit to reset some older branches and set new ones alike. Like many other of my trees this year, this one will also need to be repotted without fail. Buds are beginning to swell slightly.

One thing I like very much about this piece, is its natural, wispy quality. Taking its time to develop and mature but slowly getting there.

It's difficult to keep that wispy thing going for very long, I've found that it's just a phase that is hard to keep.

It's difficult to keep that wispy thing going for very long, I've found that it's just a phase that is hard to keep.

Judy not sure why you wouldn't be able to. It does not have to be a phase if that's the intent? Ensuring to cut back regularly to finer twigs and not allowing excessive growth in any one area will be able to allow you to keep that image for a long time. At least I think so. Below is a pic I took of this forest about 6 years ago and although the composition has changed somewhat you can still see that the general delicate image has been maintained through the years.

Early summer update. Yesterday I trimmed it back and thinned out some areas to keep the interior branches healthy. I removed the rest of the wires from early spring and reapplied a few others. It is filling out nicely and can't wait to see it again leafless.

This forest is now in need of a bigger pot. Just as shallow but wider (20") and thinking either sky blue or cream. If anyone wants to sell me a pot of said description please let me know.

Sounds like a job for Matt O. or Kei. Good luck, big ones are hard to land.
Looking great!
And what is that thing it's sitting on, that looks like something I need.

And what is that thing it's sitting on, that looks like something I need.[/QUOTE]

Got this for my BDay a couple of months ago. It is a hydraulic cart. It is awesome! I even use it to work on shohin trees since I can raise it high enough to work standing up.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200631992_200631992

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-21 at 6.37.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-21 at 6.37.20 PM.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I like reading the comments on Walter Palls famous but gone Deshojo on Reddit. :D I don't know if I could find the specific one anymore; there are so many.

Have not updated this thread in a while. This bonsai forest keeps progressing nicely and the design is beginning to mature with a rounded canopy. It was repotted this spring and as I have done in the past, I once more cut out from the fused root pad one of the trees with a saw in order to rotate it and be able to see the nice gentle curve at its base from the front. I did not do it this time, but next year it will likely be detail wired once more.

After 18 years with me, I can say that this bonsai has seen seemingly endless variations of itself.

Back
Top Bottom