Japanese Beech Forest

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Whoop, nevermind, I have ABS magazine not IB. 🤷‍♂️

Well sounds like you need now to subscribe to IB magazine! :p

I want a Japanese beech forest so bad. I have never seen any for sale or seedlings either. The few trees I have seen need way too much work for the price. Julian Adams did tell me he had some in the ground he may dig come spring. Maybe I bite the bullet.

They are rare specially older trees with the white bark. I believe Bill also sells Japanese beech seedlings in the spring. If you are open to European beech then Bill does sell a ton of those.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Good Job Sergio! Quality trees as usual, and a quality guy to go with them! Peter

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
awesome. Love the silhouette. So many twigs! Fantastic as always Serg.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am your new garbage man. I see this tree is infested with those dirty rat wiggle worms. I'll be by in the morning to pick it up and dispose of it for you :D. Very nice M5

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
awesome. Love the silhouette. So many twigs! Fantastic as always Serg.

looking better than ever! 😍

Thanks guys! It definitely has come a long way since I got it back in 2014 with a huge set back in the winter of 2015 as I lost several main branches due to a drastic temperature change in the garage where it is kept. My wife left the doors open and the temps went down from upper 30s to low 20s in just a few minutes. Not good!! I have not talked to her in years! Kidding... I never did. 🤪

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
All of your trees are awesome, but I really love this forest. Yet, for all of the fantastic trees you have, you are very humble, willing to help all of us woefully less talented and have a sense of humor to boot. And apparently, according to some you wear fancy shoes..;)

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This made my day! I air layered a branch back in May with the thought of adding it later as another additional tree to the composition. Japanese beech are tricky to air layer and success is far from guaranteed. Very different than the American and European counterparts which are more robust and easier to work with. Not getting my hopes up I left alone to see if in fact I'd get it to root. Today, I checked and saw the tiny tip of a root poking through one of the drainage holes I made on the bag. I will now leave in situ until next year. After seeing this, it encouraged me to think about air layering one of the smaller trees at the back to reposition it better within the composition. But that will wait until next spring.

IMG_5714.jpg

IMG_5722.jpg

Yes, that's a root!

IMG_5718.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Waiting its turn to get repotted and cleaned up. But beech does not start to move well into mid to late April in my area. A beautiful and elusive species.

Notice the white mass on the lower left of the canopy. That is an air layer in progress.

IMG_7957 copy.jpg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Waiting its turn to get repotted and cleaned up. But beech does not start to move well into mid to late April in my area. A beautiful and elusive species.

Notice the white mass on the lower left of the canopy. That is an air layer in progress.

View attachment 363353
Are you almost fully clip and grow at this point Sergio? Or do you go through and wire out extensively, or even partially?
Such an exceptional composition and evolution.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Are you almost fully clip and grow at this point Sergio? Or do you go through and wire out extensively, or even partially?
Such an exceptional composition and evolution.

Danny at this point I am about less than 5% wiring. Mostly now it's clip and grow. With beech specially you have to be so very careful. They are very unforgiving of wiring scars.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

View attachment 363353
When you repot, do you intend to reduce the height of the moss ball? Or do you have a different container in mind?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Danny at this point I am about less than 5% wiring. Mostly now it's clip and grow. With beech specially you have to be so very careful. They are very unforgiving of wiring scars.
Good to know. Ive got a european beech purple cultivar that is early in development.

Top Bottom