It's an addiction...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You will see that virtually every pot is round while when not it is square or hex or oct. never rectangle. It is not a versatile show stand. It has a purpose and was built that way.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ohhh and ....before you go and display a Neagari style semi cascade on a root stand....thats a no no too. Redundant and too much root.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Just wondering, could you add a slab of mahogany with the grain pattern you want to the top? Matching stain might be hard but you should be able to hide the union of the two pieces and get the grain that you are looking for.

Wan, the subject of this thread, shows one with a veneer of lighter burlwood covering the top. That could be seen as an enhancement I suppose., although I think a distraction. I think if push came to shove I would first paint or stain the top black or a dark brown.

Thanks for the pics Smoke! They were inspirational and I agree that the displays were "done right".

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They were inspirational and I agree that the displays were "done right".

...and in most cases you are seeing just a very small portion of the whole display in these pictures.

For instance that last picture of the pine semi looks like this with the whole image
DSC_0003.JPG

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wan, the subject of this thread, shows one with a veneer of lighter burlwood covering the top. That could be seen as an enhancement I suppose., although I think a distraction. I think if push came to shove I would first paint or stain the top black or a dark brown.

Thanks for the pics Smoke! They were inspirational and I agree that the displays were "done right".
That's not a veneer of burlwood, that's what the wood is!

My stand is made that way. It's light grained on top, and the "roots" are stained dark.

Many fine quality Japanese stands will have a beautiful burl top, with a contrasting (but complementary) base.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also notice that most of these stands are built with movement in them. That is to provide the necessary movement in the stand to compliment the movement of the semi cascading part. A semi cascade looks much more dynamic on a stand with movement than a static upright stand. This stand does nothing for this great tree. ...but notice the pot it's in. Oval, not good for a root stand, just as bad as rectangle.
DSC_0004.JPG

Pachycaul

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Don't know if it's just me, but I have a hard time looking at the trees with carved root stands. (At least in flat photographs) There is a seamless integration between tree and "display" to be sure, and maybe that's a vital consideration in the context of a show. As to Smoke's good observation as to no rectangular pots, it may be that the intrusion of geometric manufacture visually clashes with an otherwise organic form of the stand. As a woodworker myself, I am concerned with issues of revealing or concealing means of manufacture. It is a dance between art and artifice, effect and affect. Though I'd give any part of my anatomy I can't use any more for any of those trees, the stands are kinda' like the pink-framed glasses in the book club lady the dude can't get past in the eyewear commersh.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don't know if it's just me, but I have a hard time looking at the trees with carved root stands. (At least in flat photographs) There is a seamless integration between tree and "display" to be sure, and maybe that's a vital consideration in the context of a show. As to Smoke's good observation as to no rectangular pots, it may be that the intrusion of geometric manufacture visually clashes with an otherwise organic form of the stand. As a woodworker myself, I am concerned with issues of revealing or concealing means of manufacture. It is a dance between art and artifice, effect and affect. Though I'd give any part of my anatomy I can't use any more for any of those trees, the stands are kinda' like the pink-framed glasses in the book club lady the dude can't get past in the eyewear commersh.
Ah! This is primarily Shohin display, where everything is over the top! The pots are more colorful, the little stands inside the box stand are more ornate, the accent plants are meticulous...

And the root stands are incredible. Some of those shown by Smoke sell for more than $10,000!

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Ah! This is primarily Shohin display, where everything is over the top! The pots are more colorful, the little stands inside the box stand are more ornate, the accent plants are meticulous...

And the root stands are incredible. Some of those shown by Smoke sell for more than $10,000!

Are there many differences between Shohin and Mame displays?

Also thanks guys for the informative posts. :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Smoke ...Not discrediting the rectangular pot on the stand...but some trees didn't seem...cascade is what I meant. I was visiting my dad. And couldn't take time to explain. But this link...I have a headache and am not going to look through it. But the link was saved to my iPad. Now I am home before I go lay down... Sharing the link:
http://shohin-bonsai.or.jp/about/introduce_39?fref=gc&dti=643274989107251

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are there many differences between Shohin and Mame displays?

Also thanks guys for the informative posts. :)
Probably none as there is not much difference in the physical size of the trees. I did look thru a double Kokufu book, once again the most prestigious exhibit of larger trees in the world. I saw no difference in the way the root stands were used. The only difference was that there are fewer shown with larger trees and many more shown with the little trees.
DSC_0010.JPG DSC_0012.JPG DSC_0016.JPG DSC_0017.JPG DSC_0018.JPG DSC_0019.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There were three shohin displays in Kokufu with root stands. Many more without root stands. These are the three.
DSC_0022.JPG DSC_0023.JPG DSC_0024.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Smoke ...Not discrediting the rectangular pot on the stand...but some trees didn't seem...cascade is what I meant. I was visiting my dad. And couldn't take time to explain. But this link...I have a headache and am not going to look through it. But the link was saved to my iPad. Now I am home before I go lay down... Sharing the link:
http://shohin-bonsai.or.jp/about/introduce_39?fref=gc&dti=643274989107251
When you feel better, I want you to really look at the trees. Do not get stuck on the word "cascade" it is a misnomer word used to describe a certain style of stand. We say 'cascade stand' to mean a tall thin stand used to display off center trees in the cascade, semi cascade, slanting form.

You will see that the trees in your link as well as the ones posted all conform to the cascade, semi cascade, slanting form. Not upright, and not in rectangular pots, or oval for that matter.

Would you display an upright tree in a rectangular or oval pot on a stand like this? Of course not, and for the same reason you wouldn't do it to a root stand. It holds the same rules, just a different shape.
DSC_0009110015.JPG

Top Bottom