A spin off of my bonsai addiction

Reaction score

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My tanks go up to 30C in summer. It can be done. Not ideal but doable.
top floor with no actual roof, just the sun baking the bare concrete, i was gone for a few days when that big global heatwave from June hit. got back home at midnight with 39C water

Reaction score
top floor with no actual roof, just the sun baking the bare concrete, i was gone for a few days when that big global heatwave from June hit. got back home at midnight with 39C water
What about getting some plastic 2L coke bottles, filling them with water and freezing them...add to tank as necessary to keep temp more stable.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What about getting some plastic 2L coke bottles, filling them with water and freezing them...add to tank as necessary to keep temp more stable.
the thing is, i had it planted like a jungle, and put a whole bunch of shrimp in it, shrimp could live of algae and dead plant matter and the tank has pretty much sustained itself during spring. the coke bottle thing is a great idea, but if there's a situation where i am not home to run fans or AC, then there'd be nobody to drop a giant chunk of ice in the tank either. i'll just have to hope and pray that one day my life will be more stable to enjoy hobbies like a real human.

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
Oh damn. Yeah I have some tubs on the roof as well. I have some on high density foam between wall and floor to insulate against the bake. Others are on pallets for same reason. most survived the heatwave but we did lose a couple of fish along the way.
But yeah, 39C is a doozy.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's really cool penumbra.
Mr rex guarding his domain : )
I like that flat topped rock too, it really sets the whole thing off.
Thanks. It is a fun bit of whimsy I wake up to each morning. The rocks are petrified wood from Arizona.

Reaction score
Thanks. It is a fun bit of whimsy I wake up to each morning. The rocks are petrified wood from Arizona.
My pleasure penumbra
Fun way to start the day (i need something like that to get my grumpy old morning self into gear lol).
That petrified wood is awesome...it really looks like rock!
That stuff would look really cool if it was used for dressing up the soil area on bonsai...if you're into that kind of thing of course.
And i imagine it would be lighter than rock too...an added bonus.
If you sell bonsai at the market or online etc, the petrified wood would definately go a long way to boosting the bonsai's overall appeal to the average buyer.
Its got some wonderfully,gnarly texture and a nice colour too!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@vp999 yes, linking to YouTube is the most reliable way to share videos in BNut.

As far as water temp in aquariums goes, I have no firsthand experience with them, but would allowing the water to fall through the air some distance - effectively creating an evaporative cooling effect - as it's circulating help? Might mess with your solution ratios a bit after a while as water evaporates faster with this method.
Or maybe circulating from the sump more, and keep your ice bottle in the sump, or just keep the sump cool. Will lead to overall cooler temps, but allot fewer extreme highs.
Just some thoughts from other experiments I've contemplated in the past.

I tried planting prickly pear seeds in my yard in spring, but no luck. Need to do more research.
Think I'll just try cutting some pads this coming spring and see how that does.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I think you would do very well in reefing BVF based on what I’ve seen how you are with your bonsai, it takes dedication and patience to have a thriving reef tank and seems like you have both.
I believe he already does. See post #5.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
here's that succulent thing rearing its head again, shall i yield to it?
but i know nothing about succulents, i'm thinking something with nasty thorns and flowers

Reaction score
here's that succulent thing rearing its head again, shall i yield to it?
but i know nothing about succulents, i'm thinking something with nasty thorns and flowers
Go for it...just neglect the shit outta them and you'll do wonderfully.
After doing bonsai, it was VERY hard for me to neglect the cacti (particularly watering) but i soon learnt that this IS the way to go.
A lot of them also have AMAZING flowers too.
Jump in...you'll love it.

Top Bottom