It's an addiction...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is high quality shohin exhibit book from 1975. You will see a definite change in how the trees look. No finely groomed canopies and no large trunks shoehorned into small pots. These trees look like very good trees like one would find at a high end club shows of today. It is quite possible that trees from here could be trees we see in some of these more modern books, just with 40 more years under their belt!

DSC_0018.JPG DSC_0019.JPG DSC_0020.JPG DSC_0021.JPG DSC_0022.JPG DSC_0023.JPG

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The Modern Bonsai
Paperback, about 9 x 12 inches. good photos and pictures of pots and accents as well as all the trees. I paid about $50.00 at a shohin bonsai convention for mine. A good picture book if you can find it.

Mine was 60USD and I consider it a good book and worth more - handled a lot but with gentle care.

Good luck, but finest shohin book on God's green earth.

I saw one and have been "looking" since, perhaps ten years? You are correct, spot on!

Grimmy

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Mine was 60USD and I consider it a good book and worth more - handled a lot but with gentle care.

I am sorry I did not pull the trigger at 75USD back then, It was a Philly Show and at that time I spent a lot on plants, small pots, and trivial shit not knowing. With age comes experience... grrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Grimmy

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Adair M ... I sure do appreciate you telling me about him! I love the comparison of the two sizes, they compliment each other in mere size difference if that makes sense. I need to get a better photo of the two side by side. His work is stunning...it's hard not to buy more...each so unique.

So glad fall is here...I am more falling into trees will be dormant soon. So...I can focus on things I want done around the house.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
YES...STUNNING!!! Thanks @Adair M.

Great display...that tree and pot combo is amazing! Just when ones come to think of you as the Pine King...you show is treasures of a different caliper. :cool:

That txt is coming at you! That's the joy of this passion is theres very good diversity to wet the whistle of all who are thirsty.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
YES...STUNNING!!! Thanks @Adair M.

Great display...that tree and pot combo is amazing! Just when ones come to think of you as the Pine King...you show is treasures of a different caliper. :cool:

Lol!!! Darlene, I can do, have done, almost all kinds of bonsai. Except tropicals! Lol! It’s just that I prefer pines.

But for Shohin, to make a display you have to have a variety of species, Leaf shapes, styles, etc. So, I do have several different species in my Shohin collection. My big trees are all conifers, with the exception of a rare cultivar of Trident maple, and the olive.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Lol!!! Darlene, I can do, have done, almost all kinds of bonsai. Except tropicals! Lol! It’s just that I prefer pines.

But for Shohin, to make a display you have to have a variety of species, Leaf shapes, styles, etc. So, I do have several different species in my Shohin collection. My big trees are all conifers, with the exception of a rare cultivar of Trident maple, and the olive.

Showing shohin...you display multiple on a stand...then...this display here was it considered seperate from such a stand with many trees or...part of the group?

Does ones display mame then using simular rules... being so small...do you ever see mames on a stand with an accent or are they grouped together as many like shohin?

Yes...that Olive is mouth dropping. Can't picture the trident...surely I would recognize it.

Yes your passion for pines shines bright...but its likewise cool you have these up your sleeve.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That was the “off the stand” tree. There’s the box stand that holds 5 trees, and then there’s the “off the box” tree. It’s optional. But, if it’s present, it needs to be exceptional. Because it gets more attention than any one tree in the box.

Here’s the whole display:

D2EA1D9B-CD46-44F8-B249-1B846DB9B8E5.jpeg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Showing shohin...you display multiple on a stand...then...this display here was it considered seperate from such a stand with many trees or...part of the group?

Does ones display mame then using simular rules... being so small...do you ever see mames on a stand with an accent or are they grouped together as many like shohin?

Yes...that Olive is mouth dropping. Can't picture the trident...surely I would recognize it.

Yes your passion for pines shines bright...but its likewise cool you have these up your sleeve.
Showing mame bonsai is just like showing larger Shohin. Except everything is smaller.

I’ve never posted a picture of the maple. It’s currently in an oversized pot. Undergoing root rehab. It’s on a board.

E50DD26B-40D5-400F-A652-980762EA5AE9.jpeg C45D7E03-4D57-4ECC-947F-B28FA905A55A.jpeg 33593D01-C15F-4D16-89D5-F1C0F461DC3B.jpeg

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
image.jpg

Thanks for offering us a glimps of that maple @Adair M ! No, I can't say I have ever seen it before.

So can a shohin/mame...be shown alone in a say...3 point display or always needing a grand set up such as what you showed with the shohin?

Top Bottom