It's an addiction...no doubt about it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I really try not to do that.

I sort of smitten with this small 10 inch bald cypress in an Erin pot. I really don't push the envelope so to speak...when it comes to repots. I'm by the book. Sure some get away with trees further along. I'm sure I could. Just can't do it though.
It looks good. I like the tree. I like the pot. I don't like the tree in the pot. Its not my tree or my pot, so my liking does not matter. Just a thought, a round pot might be better until you develop some balance. Then you'd have an empty pot to fill too....

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It looks good. I like the tree. I like the pot. I don't like the tree in the pot. Its not my tree or my pot, so my liking does not matter. Just a thought, a round pot might be better until you develop some balance. Then you'd have an empty pot to fill too....
Fare enough.

The commissioned pot was round. By the time it was safe to repot. 2019 it woke and caught me by surprise. 2020 it didn't go fully dormant. By the time I could repot it. The buttress was to large. This was the commissioned pot.
received_325204414798663.jpeg

Now, I could have planted this far left in it's current pot. To me it made the tree seem...tame. So, running on 2 hours of sleep and I find myself most daring when that happens. It was planted to the right for a much more dramatic visual. I can envision the fronds falling off to the side of the pot and down to the bench in the one now.
*I also removed it apex and gave it an angle change this repot.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Fare enough.

The commissioned pot was round. By the time it was safe to repot. 2019 it woke and caught me by surprise. 2020 it didn't go fully dormant. By the time I could repot it. The buttress was to large. This was the commissioned pot.
Now, I could have planted this far left in it's current pot. To me it made the tree seem...tame. So, running on 2 hours of sleep and I find myself most daring when that happens. It was planted to the right for a much more dramatic visual. I can envision the fronds falling off to the side of the pot and down to the bench in the one now.
*I also removed it apex and gave it an angle change this repot.
In its current state its tricky. Lots of long/ low-hanging branching on the right and very little on the left. The heavy trunk line goes left, but there is a lot of activity up there going right. The tallest point is actually from a back branch. I suggested the round pot based on all of that, and the rounded canopy. Obviously its still in development and in a few years won't look like it currently does when in that rectangle pot. Its a neat tree, and has a great Halloween seasonal look to it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In its current state its tricky. Lots of long/ low-hanging branching on the right and very little on the left. The heavy trunk line goes left, but there is a lot of activity up there going right. The tallest point is actually from a back branch. I suggested the round pot based on all of that, and the rounded canopy. Obviously its still in development and in a few years won't look like it currently does when in that rectangle pot. Its a neat tree, and has a great Halloween seasonal look to it.
Yes...I cut much off at repot. I need to grow a new leader. Its a 10inch tree and constantly being cut back. More noticable by the right tilt this repot. I discussed my change of angle with Mike Lane. Who I purchased the tree from years back. Who agreed it a good direction with the trunk movement to tilt to the right. In doing so many branches were removed from the left side to take it into this new direction. But its a BC. They develop fast. So not an issue. I appreciate your assessment. I think it is a cool tree no matter if its being redesigned...that trunk is wicked cool. Yes...haunted graveyard look to it dormant.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At last count back in the fall I had ~150 trees...most NOT bonsai...but I do use bonsai techniques on all of them from time to time. Probably 30-40% of my stock most knowledgeable people would tell me I have no business growing in my climate. I've killed more willows than redwoods...the willows get neglected, the redwoods are babied. That's the writing on the wall telling me to downsize...I don't have the time to take care of them all propperly :(

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I really try not to do that.

I sort of smitten with this small 10 inch bald cypress in an Erin pot. I really don't push the envelope so to speak...when it comes to repots. I'm by the book. Sure some get away with trees further along. I'm sure I could. Just can't do it though.
View attachment 356013
I am planning a swamp droopy cypress like this! Damn that gives me one heck of a goal!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
At last count back in the fall I had ~150 trees...most NOT bonsai...but I do use bonsai techniques on all of them from time to time. Probably 30-40% of my stock most knowledgeable people would tell me I have no business growing in my climate. I've killed more willows than redwoods...the willows get neglected, the redwoods are babied. That's the writing on the wall telling me to downsize...I don't have the time to take care of them all propperly :(
The benefits of a smaller collection is more time invested into each one, than spread out over a large group. Prebonsai can be counted...shoot all of them if we want to be real. Because they take our time tending. That's the point on counting...and what we are comfortable with.

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You all could have warned me about this when I first posted here.

8 months in and I think 4 months here talking with all you I'm at 16 at the moment with many more planned. 😂

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You all could have warned me about this when I first posted here.

8 months in and I think 4 months here talking with all you I'm at 16 at the moment with many more planned. 😂
Sometimes...its fun to see how fast ones multiply. 😉🙃

That said...mine have all been purchased with one goal at purchase. Find unique...find good bones and develop it. It allows a smaller amount dropped at initial cost. Developing the material keeps your interest. And each tree stands out next to the one beside it. End of the journey...a tree you can be proud of...and its unique to some extent by the character found from the go.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
nothing out of place in my landscape or I get itchy. I also don't like my benches cluttered. That also may help keep my collection where it is around for number count.
That's exactly how I feel, I keep my count REALLY low. I have a small yard so every ugly little project is in full view. Such a pretty art in the final stages but a recipe for a strange hoard along the way. My dream is to have a yard big enough to hide my rough material. Until then.. I keep a tight 15. One comes in and one goes out, keeps my spending honest. not going to buy a $15 rooted cutting and then toss out a semi-developed tree to make space. That cycle is why I'm always selling something

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The benefits of a smaller collection is more time invested into each one, than spread out over a large group. Prebonsai can be counted...shoot all of them if we want to be real. Because they take our time tending. That's the point on counting...and what we are comfortable with.

Most of the plants I care about (not all are trees) were gifts or are from seed picked up while on vacation or seed ordered because we vacationed out of season. These are my memory garden :) it's only 10-12 species. (Un)fortunately, many of my from seed are over-populated because more germinated than I expected. And those that germinated are taking my abuse much better than expected. And there's the problem that to get to a decent 12" tree like I want I need to go through a 12' tree first! Or wait a lot longer.

Another fraction of the plants I care about are "oddities" that caught my imagination for one reason or another. Things like my baobabs and welwitscia...these are all from seed and many have the overpopulation problem!

The rest are to keep me from killing those :) Some for the native tree contest...some for the forest contest...the rest just because I was bored and wanted to mess with something to see what it would do...or I tried something because someone said it was hard/not possible, etc...I don't fret none if this group dies ;)

Top Bottom