Incoming... gnarly yamadori Hawthorn

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A delicious...gnarly yamadori deciduous Hawthorn from Jared Carrion.

Pot by Kandied Clay...also pottery Jared and his wife throws. The pot is absolutely delicious as well.

My husband even hugged me upon seeing this tree. Told me he was excited for me. That it sure was a chunky little tree. But...truly was happy I had it. 🥰
1000019875.jpg1000019889.jpg1000019888.jpg1000019887.jpg
1000019877.jpg20231130_153822.jpg

And outside 2D... 😉😁

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Hawthorn with bent and twisted trunks are very hard to find, at least down here. Most grow as straight sticks with little or no taper.
Great find. Dead wood and hollows adds even more interest.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow. Very nice!
Thank ya kind, sir... blew me away in person...won't lie. 😁

Hawthorn with bent and twisted trunks are very hard to find, at least down here. Most grow as straight sticks with little or no taper.
Great find. Dead wood and hollows adds even more interest.
See...I didn't realize that. I assumed they all had this delicious movement. As I've friends across the pond in the UK with some nice ones. That this was sourced in the USA. I truly hope that we can gain an appreciation for collected yamadori "deciduous" that have that rugged look of what I see across the pond...and that we find more collectors of said materials. As I truly find the deciduous market declining...when I mentioned it to one. He went on about the flawless trunk and what not. And there in lays the decline. High expectations...when there is truly a place for both. I hope to see a heavy slide in appreciation for collected yamadori deciduous...that have the scars and stories behind them. Truly...I think the USA needs both aspects in our hobby embraced to the full potential they can be.

Sorry...rabbit hole. As it's a passion of mine to see deciduous embraced for a story of struggles they overcome.

Thanks for the kind words...sorry I pulled you down into my rabbit hole.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks so much better with leaves, can you glue them back on? Enjoy your new find😁

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This definitely has the look of a wild Hawthorn, maybe growing on the moors in harsh conditions. Many examples could be found online. Great buy, also nothing beats the feeling of an anticipated mail order tree arriving in its box, opening the box, loosening the tape, getting a whiff of the soil and wood:)

Only a landscape slab will do this tree justice IMHO

Type of thing

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1673708945959.jpg
    FB_IMG_1673708945959.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 28399153921_3521a2754a_o (1).jpg
    28399153921_3521a2754a_o (1).jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks so much better with leaves, can you glue them back on? Enjoy your new find😁
Proper gut laughter. Won't lie...I'm a sucker for winter silhouette where nothing is hidden. 😉

That said...I'm looking forward to it also in leaf.
Nice tree! I like the color of the pot as well.
Thanks...that pot also caught my eye. Love Kandied Clay's bonsai pots. I've a few of their pieces. This one is delicious for certain.
This definitely has the look of a wild Hawthorn, maybe growing on the moors in harsh conditions. Many examples could be found online. Great buy, also nothing beats the feeling of an anticipated mail order tree arriving in its box, opening the box, loosening the tape, getting a whiff of the soil and wood:)

Only a landscape slab will do this tree justice IMHO
This...all day long. That smell that comes when you open the box!

Thanks...for your words. And thoughts on future slab. At this time...I'm just enjoying stealing a peak at it in the greenhouse.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

JRBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First of all, absolutely stunning tree with heaps of potential.
Regarding a potential front, I felt compelled to show you my vision and why the front in your very first picture is the best (in my opinion).

IMG_0960.jpeg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
First of all, absolutely stunning tree with heaps of potential.
Regarding a potential front, I felt compelled to show you my vision and why the front in your very first picture is the best (in my opinion).

View attachment 541172
You spent some time there. 😉... no I do love that as a front. As I turn my trees on the bench. It will allow me to enjoy both sides.

It's relatively new in development... it's got time to evolve.

JRBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You spent some time there. 😉... no I do love that as a front. As I turn my trees on the bench. It will allow me to enjoy both sides.

It's relatively new in development... it's got time to evolve.
My work as a product designer makes me quite nimble with ipad sketching, thankfully ;)

Of course, this one has a long road ahead in terms of development.
But a good initial concept of where it could be headed can help prevent second guessing along the way.

Look forward to seeing this mature, keep us posted!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My work as a product designer makes me quite nimble with ipad sketching, thankfully ;)

Of course, this one has a long road ahead in terms of development.
But a good initial concept of where it could be headed can help prevent second guessing along the way.

Look forward to seeing this mature, keep us posted!
I guess...for the most part, I don't second guess myself. I don't stress it...things just evolve while on my bench.

Now...I will chew over removing a major branch. I never rush a design. I chew over things. When I make my moves they are confident and with purpose.

But your iPad sketching... that's a cool feature that will be beneficial to yourself and your hobby indeed. 😉

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mighty fine tree for sure! The gnarly features are fantastic. I admire your patience and ability to step back and imagine many interesting possibilities.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mighty fine tree for sure! The gnarly features are fantastic. I admire your patience and ability to step back and imagine many interesting possibilities.
Thank ya kindly. I am quite smitten.

I don't stress the design aspect at all. Maybe once when I was early in the hobby I felt that need to know. But trees evolve with us. It's a beautiful journey...never rushed. The right direction comes on the wind...if we but listen for it. Whispered by the tree.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank ya kindly. I am quite smitten.

I don't stress the design aspect at all. Maybe once when I was early in the hobby I felt that need to know. But trees evolve with us. It's a beautiful journey...never rushed. The right direction comes on the wind...if we but listen for it. Whispered by the tree.
Your approach and philosophy are great qualities. And, it shows well in your trees and comments.

Top Bottom