Incoming Toyo Nishiki quince

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Cameo appearance...Of Ember with this Toyo Nishiki Chaenomeles flowering quince in a Sara Rayner pot.

She's learning her space and leave it command. Keeping her near as I water.

That said...dogs can and do DROWN by allowing them to guzzle from a garden hose. Please don't allow this ... use wisdom in the garden. I use a watering wand...I shoot the mist into the air...for air play. She isn't guzzling. *Not seen here. Just wished to get that warning out there.

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So the cuttings of red Toyo Nishiki are blooming. I had set them in more sunny location when in a pot. Put them in the ground last fall. Since the reason of purchasing was to use for grafting. *Rainy overcast day. Dark photo sorry.
Just read through this thread and I think you may have solved a mystery for me. I had been hunting for Toyo Nishiki for awhile until I found some last year at a local nursery. Paid $40 for basically a cutting, and waited almost a year for it to bloom, only to be greeted with pale reddish blooms. I thought I was scammed but now I think maybe I just got one of the red cuttings? What do you think?

1715295738580.png1715295754768.png

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just read through this thread and I think you may have solved a mystery for me. I had been hunting for Toyo Nishiki for awhile until I found some last year at a local nursery. Paid $40 for basically a cutting, and waited almost a year for it to bloom, only to be greeted with pale reddish blooms. I thought I was scammed but now I think maybe I just got one of the red cuttings? What do you think?

View attachment 545478View attachment 545479
You only get red Toyo Nishiki cuttings...from a reputable bonsai nursery. As...the red bloom are quite rare.

I would more likely take a guess wrong tag...and you've a Texas Scarlett. Sorry to say. But only in the bonsai world would one find red Toyo Nishiki cuttings. And...I would still find a reputable bonsai source. Not just someone claiming it was.

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You only get red Toyo Nishiki cuttings...from a reputable bonsai nursery. As...the red bloom are quite rare.

I would more likely take a guess wrong tag...and you've a Texas Scarlett. Sorry to say. But only in the bonsai world would one find red Toyo Nishiki cuttings. And...I would still find a reputable bonsai source. Not just someone claiming it was.
Thanks Texas Scarlett is probably right! Not a bonsai nursery, but a a nursery that imports stuff, I have found a lot of rare species there in the past. Definitely not a mislabel, this was intentional. I don't think it was the nursery mislabeling however, most likely their source, dropping the label so others can be warned just in case they pop up somewhere else:

1715296535275.png

Sorry to derail your thread, beautiful tree!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Texas Scarlett is probably right! Not a bonsai nursery, but a a nursery that imports stuff, I have found a lot of rare species there in the past. Definitely not a mislabel, this was intentional. I don't think it was the nursery mislabeling however, most likely their source, dropping the label so others can be warned just in case they pop up somewhere else:

View attachment 545483

Sorry to derail your thread, beautiful tree!
It's very common to have things mislabeled. Agreed...it tends to be from their source not the nursery where you purchased it. It's happens...

No worries...still lovely.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Brent has them, I bought one last year. So far it grows slower than my Scarfs Red.

He did have an "improved" toyo, but it reverted back to full red... you probably can email him and see if he would be willing to sell one if you want an all red toyo.

1715345098674.png

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Brent has them, I bought one last year. So far it grows slower than my Scarfs Red.

He did have an "improved" toyo, but it reverted back to full red... you probably can email him and see if he would be willing to sell one if you want an all red toyo.

View attachment 545558
That's where mine came from. But this one wanted Toyo Nishiki I believe. Does he have the original cultivar too? I imagine he would.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That's where mine came from. But this one wanted Toyo Nishiki I believe. Does he have the original cultivar too? I imagine he would.
yes, that is the only one he has available, the improved toyo is no longer for sale because it lost the white and pink flowers.

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
A little update, @Cadillactaste called it, this was just a mislabel. Last year when I found these, I told a club member who was also looking for them and she drove down and bought a few. Checking with her yesterday, two of hers look like Toyo Nishiki and one just kind of dudded and never bloomed (but she says the leaves look different then the other two). I think the supplier just has terrible quality control. Thanks for the source @Maiden69, I'll keep looking for these locally, if I can't find one this is my backup.

Top Bottom